4th day 1200 calories diet...

Options

Replies

• jekissa729
    Options
    Sometimes you will notice a change in the way your clothes fit (looser) before you notice a change in the scale. I usually only weigh myself once a week, same time each day.
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jesz124. Been there done that! 1200 is too low.
  • nicsalt
    nicsalt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just peeking at your journal. Off the top of my head you may want to ditch the jelly beans and soda. They're a lot of calories with no nutritional value. Just a thought.

Good luck!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6'' and started at 145, now at 141 it has been two weeks =] nothing happened the first week. give it a bit longer and you might get a big change at once!(granted it might be mostly water weight if you've started drinking more water like I have but it is nice to see a change lol)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Just peeking at your journal. Off the top of my head you may want to ditch the jelly beans and soda. They're a lot of calories with no nutritional value. Just a thought.

Good luck!

My thought, too. As far as results, you have to be patient. You are switching over from maintaining and/or storing fat to metabolizing fat. Bodies don't turn on a dime. A lot of adjustment has to happen. It takes time and good nutrition.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    HI.

I am 5'7 and started at 61kg (approx 134 pounds). I only had a small amount I wanted to lose too - about 6 or 7 kilograms (about 13-15 pounds).

When I first put my numbers in MFP it gave me the 1200 calories. "ok" I thought and tried to stay at or under that. I lasted a miserable week until I did a little research into how much energy I expend throughout the day (Total Daily Energy Expenditure or TDEE) and how much energy it takes to keep me alive (Basal metabolic rate or BMR), my age etc and at 1200 cals I lost not a lot except my temper.

So I upped my calories to around 1330.

I now lose weight regularly each week. To date I have lost 9 pounds and am still consistently losing between 0.2-0.6 of a kilo (approx 1/2 a pound to 1 1/2 pound) each week. Consistently.

Once I reach over 10 pounds lost I will slowly start to increase the amount of calories in small steps each week to slow that rate again to be about 1/2 a pound until I am a pound from goal weight. Then I will eat my calories at about 10% under maintenance weight until I reach my goal and finally up my calories to maintenance.

Hope this helps you to get your head around the idea that you don't have to eat the bare minimum to lose weight when you are already a little slimmer.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    People lose weight, clothes become loose.

As for the calorie count, you can eat low calorie, higher calorie whatever. But 4 days is not going to show a change. Give yourself a bit of time to see some change.
  • louloumelon
    Options
    Thank you for your advice :) I actually thought of adding nuts to my salad...and I had avocado dip so I almost reached my calories goal :D
  • louloumelon
    Options
    I am actually full with what I eat....I dont eat less that 1200 intentionally....I did lotsa crazy diets in my life now I need a good healthier one :)
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I hope you'll be able to maintain this for a lifetime. That's low.
  • louloumelon
    Options
    I was actually invited to a B-day party ....I dont eat thatevery day....thanks for the advice though :)

Good luck!
  • I peeked at your diary, and you may want to see a nutrition about getting your foods on target. I noticed the cake and soda, and i see where you said it was for a birthday party - but you basically skipped lunch only eating a jolly rancher - which is not good for your metabolism.. you're eating white bread in the morning when there are better options such as whole wheat or multigrain.

Calories are different. If you're eating empty calories, your body is not going to have the nutrition it needs.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. You are doing great meeting your daily calorie goal! ...........................<snip>

Oh seriously?! Eating under 1200 is not 'doing great' unless your trying to cultivate an eating disorder or grind yourself into the ground with a serious lack of energy..........................................<snip>

My TDEE is 1500... so, to loose weight Ineed to eat under that. Perhaps the OP is in a similar situation.

Further I (like others) am unable to exercise to increase my energy expenditure.... so the only way for me to loose weight is to cut cals. 1200 is NOT too low in my situation and probably is not in the OP's situation either.

Indeed I loose weight at about 1\2 lb a week on 1200 cals... hardly an eating disorder!

Are you sure your TDEE is 1500? That's awfully low.

Yes - I am quite light already (BMI 22 point something) and I have a health issue that means I do not move around much.

1200 cals of good wholesome foods is not starvation for me. Actually, a larger person eating 500+ below their TDEE will be feeling more hunger pangs than me, and no-one harrangs them for their "starvation".

Ah well - Tis the internet... we can't expect to agree.

I just I hate to see some-one coming on here for support and being told that 1200 is definitely too low. It might be - BUT there are situations where it might NOT be! Those various folk who reply should be aware of this be a little less dogmatic in their replies.
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1200 kcal daily is too little. I can´ imagine to eat only this amount. You should move and gain some extra calories - like me.
    you will have problems to maintain your weight. Believe me.
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary, and you may want to see a nutrition about getting your foods on target. I noticed the cake and soda, and i see where you said it was for a birthday party - but you basically skipped lunch only eating a jolly rancher - which is not good for your metabolism.. you're eating white bread in the morning when there are better options such as whole wheat or multigrain.

Calories are different. If you're eating empty calories, your body is not going to have the nutrition it needs.

I eat white bread (or rolls) too because I don´t like multigrain. But I´m loosing. THere is no problem in bread I eat fiber from other resources...
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    I've been doing this since 28th May and so far have lost 23 lbs. It takes time to lose weight, don't expect the weight to just fall off in a matter of days!

When I started some days I would under-eat by quite a bit but now I find that I'm actually getting more hungry. I definitely would recommend that you don't eat under 1200 calories (something I'm still working on!). I'm actually thinking of increasing my calories soon to 1300 or so, which for my height and weight seem more sensible.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hello everybody,
    I weigh 146 lbs and I measure 5,4" I really want to lose 15 lbs in a healthy way so i am trying the 1200 calories diet. I want to lose one pound per week. with this diet I basically eat everything but I dont eat junk food and I try to eat a lot of fibers drink water. I dont go over 1200 calories and sometimes I am so full that I dont get to finish my 1200 calories...usualy I have a 120 calories that I dont use.
    today its the fourth day and I dont see any progress on the scale and because I always feel full I have the impression that I wont lose any weight especialy that I dont work out and I eat at night (fruits or vegetables).
    please if you tried this diet let me know when will i see results and if you have any advices for me I would appreciate it very much.

Stick with it. Keep in mind that you are loosing fat and building muscle. In about 2 weeks you should feel difference in how your clothes fit and starting to see difference on scale and measurements.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I worked your numbers out and this is what I came up with.
    I used 1.3 "sedentary" for your activity level.
    For me to lose and be HEALTHY, I had to learn what these numbers were and what they mean. Today, due to folks on MFP teaching me, I know what these numbers are and what they mean, and I am maintianing a healthy weight and lifestyle after losing 55 pounds. Good luck!
    "Mifflin-St Jeor
    (FOR WOMEN)"
    BMR 1,403
    Maintenance 1,824
    Cut (@ 15%) 1,551
    Build (@ 15%) 2,098
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. You are doing great meeting your daily calorie goal! (under 1200) Keep it up! You WILL decrease your weight. I encourage you to do at least some walking at least 3 days a week. It makes a big difference. Also, remember your vitamins.

Oh seriously?! Eating under 1200 is not 'doing great' unless your trying to cultivate an eating disorder or grind yourself into the ground with a serious lack of energy. Your advice sucks. I advice you OP to work out your TDEE and eat 20% under it and stop starving yourself, even if 'you feel stuffed'. You will regret eating at such a deficit eventually when you can't lose anymore or go back to eating a normal amount of cals and bang any weight you've lost right back on.

normally, i'd agree completely with you, but in this case, her sedentary BMR/TDEE should be in the 1800 range, so a 1lb per week rate of loss would give her a daily calorie goal of 1300. of course, any extra exercise she does such as walking or running or aerobics will increase that on the days she does it, so she should "eat back" those exercise calories on those days. the difference between 1300 (1 lb per week loss) and 1450 (your suggestion and 0.7 lb per week loss) isn't huge, so i think she's in the ballpark with her 1200 calorie goal. however, she should add 100-200 calories to her limit if she feels hungry at 1200, and she certainly should avoid being well under 1200 consistently.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. You are doing great meeting your daily calorie goal! (under 1200) Keep it up! You WILL decrease your weight. I encourage you to do at least some walking at least 3 days a week. It makes a big difference. Also, remember your vitamins.

Oh seriously?! Eating under 1200 is not 'doing great' unless your trying to cultivate an eating disorder or grind yourself into the ground with a serious lack of energy. Your advice sucks. I advice you OP to work out your TDEE and eat 20% under it and stop starving yourself, even if 'you feel stuffed'. You will regret eating at such a deficit eventually when you can't lose anymore or go back to eating a normal amount of cals and bang any weight you've lost right back on.

My TDEE is 1500... so, to loose weight Ineed to eat under that. Perhaps the OP is in a similar situation.

Further I (like others) am unable to exercise to increase my energy expenditure.... so the only way for me to loose weight is to cut cals. 1200 is NOT too low in my situation and probably is not in the OP's situation either.

Indeed I loose weight at about 1\2 lb a week on 1200 cals... hardly an eating disorder!

No skin off my nose, you want to live on starvation rations crack on lol. You 'loose' as much weight as you like, no doubt i'll still be here when you come back to 'loose' the weight you have piled back on again due to messing up your metabolism by eating so low for so long. I am NOT getting into a 1200 and under debate with a group of hungry cranky women, i'm not mad!! But I off to bed. Eat as little as you like, it's your body. Enjoy!

you seem to be the only (perpetually) cranky one here.

to the OP, sorry you've gotten some attitude (and discouragement)... as others have said, you will need to be more patient and possibly play with your numbers a bit. Do try to eat at least the recommended 1200 cals though.- and if you can make them high in protein and fiber and good carbs (whole grains, brown rice, potatos, etc), you'll feel good in the process.