breastfeeding, does it change calories?

Options
:smooched:

Replies

• mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    ive read before that you can log breast feeding in the food section?
    ive not had kids so i dont know what it does but you should log breastfeeding maybe n see what changes?
  • zsafavian
    zsafavian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think Weight Watchers and other programs add about 300-500 extra calories per day. For me breastfeeding has not burned that many calories with neither of my children. If I wanted to lose the pregnancy weight I had to keep my daily calories to 1200, or if I exercised, to around 1500 calories total. It did not affect my supply, but I think some women do experience a dip in supply if they go that low. You might just need to wait until your baby is older to really lose weight, but it's really dependent on the person. Some women are lucky and burn a ton of calories just breastfeeding.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding a newborn on-demand, about 12 feedings in 24 hours and it burns a minimum of 500 calories (my doc did the math for me, I burn 650 calories), so yes, you should have that counted. You can add it under Food or Exercise (I log it under Exercise and I make sure to eat back at least 500 of those calories to keep my supply full for her on-demand schedule). Talk to your doctor, you have to eat. If you're supplementing formula and breastfeeding together, than you only need about 250-300 calories extra to keep a decent supply going.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I fully breastfeed my 11 week old baby

when i was weighed at the hospital at 37 weeks, i was 135kgs (300lbs)
    You put on around 1.5 pounds each week in the last weeks of pregnancy.

Now I am 115kgs (250lbs)

Which i am sure you agree, is a dramatic and positive weightloss

I have eaten at least 1800 calories a day, thats 1200 with an extra 500 (which are disregarded) for breastfeeding.

I would not recommend eating less than that, you use a lot of your stores breastfeeding and you want a healthy baby above your own weight loss.

I have heard if you low it too much (eg, below 1200 + 500 extra) you dont tend to lose weight because your body is more likely to store everything it can for the baby if it thinks your not getting enough food in.

I also do belly dancing three days a week (strength training) and as of this week i have started jogging 3 days a week too, but I haven't done a weeks jogging yet so i haven't weighed myself with the added exercise.

I would not want to eat less, I am hoping when i finish breastfeeding i will be exercising more and naturally burning more calories so i dont have to eat any less!

Its working for me :) And i know my baby is getting what he needs - which is the most important thing x
  • s_wicked
    s_wicked Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Does it ever!!!! I was losing weight rapidly! Doc said that i was starving my babe by not eating enough. I told the doc that I was eating all day long, i was always hungry!?! come to find out, my son was eating more than i was putting in causing my body to use its stored fat! my so was 8 lbs at birth. at my six week check up he was 12 lbs.
  • heathermora11
    heathermora11 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    congrats on your baby and choosing to breast feed! you and your baby are blessed!

my gentle advice is to be wary of people who will tell you to stuff in a ton of extra calories while breastfeeding. graciously evaluate if their overall health and fitness are something you would like to emulate. i take my cues from women who seemed happy, healthy and lost their baby weight within 3-6 months post baby. all were successful with nursing through 1 year at least.

- focus on HEALTHY calories. if you do need to eat more because you are loosing weight too rapidly, add in an apple, some carrots and hummus or a leafy green salad. Try NOT to add in 300 calories of chips, cookies or sugary drinks.

- try not to fall into the trap of "I can eat whatever I want, I am breastfeeding!'. This can be just as harmful as "I'm pregnant, I can eat whatever I want." Neither are good for Mom or Baby.

- if you find you are NOT loosing your baby weight or are GAINING weight post baby (this is what I did!!) then it is clear your baby is NOT eating as many calories as you are adding to your diet. You MUST listen to your body, not just arbitrarily eat 500 extra calories. Every Mom and Baby are different. If you have extra weight on you - you have extra calories for your baby!!

- ultimately, I would say don't change anything on MFP until you see how your body responds. if you are loosing too much weight, adjust your daily goal a little higher. If you are not loosing weight at all, then your daily goal should be lower.

- LONG STORY SHORT = avoid just adding in -500 calories on your MFP everyday . I have not seen people be very successful this way. just record what you eat and what you burn with exersize!!

happy nursing! now get that stroller revved up and walk those baby pounds away!!
  • peanutschicky
    Options
    yes; that's what they say, and since i gained 3 lbs. the week my baby was weaned, believe it.
    my midwife said to consume at least 1800 calories a day, or my production would stop.
    after having the baby, i lost 30 lbs., and am at my pre-pregancy fat-weight, but had lost about 10 lbs between Jan and August as part of a new year's resolution, so here we go again. what's frustrating is that the program says that if I progress as planned then it's possible to lose a whole 3 or 4 lbs in 5 weeks. skippity rah. it's such a let-down to lose so much weight so fast and then eat a lot less and just gain.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sure does :) Add 300-500 extra calories a day. If your MFP calorie goal is 1200, you should eat 1700-1800, if it's 1500, anywhere from 1800-2000 is good. You can type in "breastfeeding" in the food journal on here and it'll add -500 calories to your day And of course... start somewhere if you are losing too much, not losing enough, or gaining, readjust until you find what works for you. 500 extra a day had me losing 3 pounds a week so I needed to eat more than that, but I know someone who gained eating only 300 extra. It's trial and error.
  • KakyG
    KakyG Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm feeding my 7wk old 5-6 times per day - on demand. Do I log that under each meal/ snack, or just once per day?
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm feeding my 7wk old 5-6 times per day - on demand. Do I log that under each meal/ snack, or just once per day?

I just log 'breastfeeding' under breakfast as a food and it gives me 500 negative calories for the day. I am feeding my 11 week old so its the same i reckon :)
  • KakyG
    KakyG Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you :smile:
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I was breastfeeding I went and saw a dietician at the hospital and she said not to go below 2000 cal per day - 1800 absolute minimum, because even though the quantity of milk you make may not drop, the QUALITY of it does, so for bub to be getting the best nutrients from your milk, eat 1800 minimum. Hope this helps :-)