Anyone else struggling out there?

Options
Hi, everybody. I'm restarting on this site today. I need accountability partners! I have fibromyalgia and I am currently in school at over 50! My diet this semester stinks and I know my MD will throw a fit. I've also thought about joining Overeater's Anonymous. Anyone else struggling out there??

Replies

• bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome back! Feel free to add me!

AND, welcome to the world of being a "nontraditional student" ~ I am in the same position! It is challenging to make healthy choices on a college campus ~ yikes ~ but when I see "the kids" eating pizza, drinking sodas, snacking of junk food, I remind myself this is why you have made a choice to become healthier.

What areas are you struggling with?
  • skeezicks2
    skeezicks2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I sent you a friend request. Finding healthy food on campus is a challenge & it's expensive! I try to take my own but then my bags are very heavy to carry! It's a struggle being an older student!
  • skeezicks2
    Options
    You name it, I struggle with it! I know I am an emotional eater. I need to use the tools I've learned to get a handle on that. I've gained sixty pounds in the last nine years. I felt so bad with the fibromyalgia that I thought if I ate, maybe I would feel better. It didn't work and now I have some bad habits. What do you struggle with?
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Yes, struggling here as well. Found this group yesterday and glad I did. I started going to PT this summer to try to "fix" one problem, but it seems the exercise has agitated a previous injury and set off two new ones. Incorporating exercise into my life feels like the right thing to do though.

Trying to learn my limits and continue exercising without causing more pain/injury (soreness is fine of course). Anyone else out there experience a snowball effect of injuries from exercise as well?
  • skeezicks2
    Options
    The best thing I have done is exercise in a heated pool. Went through PT to learn what to do. They also had me in the gym but time and money dictated that I cut the gym part. The pool keeps me walking. I go there when I feel I can only drag myself in there and leave feeling like a million bucks. The pool is about to undergo changes and layoffs so I hope they keep the pool open!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yes...struggling here....every day seems to be my "going to start over today" day...and I fail.......

Good luck on your journey....I need some of that mysefl....
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    You are not alone. I have been struggling for months. I just can't seem to lose anything. Even on the weeks that I've been careful and exercising the scale has done nothing. I am already at 1200 calories a day. I am not sure what more I can do.
  • annepage
    Options
    @skeezicks2

So you didn't find that you kept "hurting yourself" with the aquatic physical therapy? I've thought about aquatic physical therapy but am hesitant to leave my current physical therapy (non aquatic, it seems to be aimed at athletes but they do some occupational as well) because I've been working with the PT there for a few months now (though I'm not sure if it's really doing any good since I keep getting hurt).
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody. I'm restarting on this site today. I need accountability partners! I have fibromyalgia and I am currently in school at over 50! My diet this semester stinks and I know my MD will throw a fit. I've also thought about joining Overeater's Anonymous. Anyone else struggling out there??

Yes, we all struggle, both with weight loss and maintaining. Every skill you learn now will serve you for the rest of your life maintaining. Best of luck to you! Bobbie
  • annepage
    Options
    @jnp96
    I know that numbers are numbers in terms of calorie counting, but have you tried changing the types of food that you eat to see if that would help?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have mild RA and another spinal autoimmune disease that cause pain and fatigue like Fibro does. I have found for me, that deleting processed sugars and white flours has reduced my pain and fatigue levels tremendously. I have found several other women with the same experience. It is worth a try. I also don't have the carb and sugar cravings like I have had in the past.