why do people think it is magic

Options
2»

Replies

• Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know there is no secret. I've been educating myself on health and weightloss for over 20 years now. I can write a book about it. BUT..I love to eat and I cannot stop eating. The more I think about losing weight the more I want to eat. I can exercise all day if I have to but it seems like I always eat that much and more, so I don't really lose any weight. Skin is taught, muscles aren't too bad, I even have a little bit of height to help me. But I eat sooo much. So question now is: Is there at least a little secret to reduce appetite and cravings. I already know all of the science and numbers and blah blah. Just help me stop my mouth, it's like a garbage disposal. lol! I just had to get that out. Thank you. You are all wonderful.

No secret there either. Just called discipline.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Love your approach to buying ice cream..lol..that is awesome!!! But it is interesting how often people ask the question how, all I can tell them is I worked my *kitten* off and watched what I eat...big time!! I wish there was a magic pill, I would have been at goal a while ago..lol
  • vickieross
    vickieross Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know there is no secret. I've been educating myself on health and weightloss for over 20 years now. I can write a book about it. BUT..I love to eat and I cannot stop eating. The more I think about losing weight the more I want to eat. I can exercise all day if I have to but it seems like I always eat that much and more, so I don't really lose any weight. Skin is taught, muscles aren't too bad, I even have a little bit of height to help me. But I eat sooo much. So question now is: Is there at least a little secret to reduce appetite and cravings. I already know all of the science and numbers and blah blah. Just help me stop my mouth, it's like a garbage disposal. lol! I just had to get that out. Thank you. You are all wonderful.

Maybe you could try the five minute rule my doctor suggested when I was trying to quit smoking. If you're craving something, wait five minutes and if you even remember what you wanted, get a SMALL bite and do not feel guilty.
  • Brittaura
    Brittaura Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Usually when I ask someone "wow how'd you do it?" I'm not referring to diet and nutrition... I'm talking about motivation and staying faithful to it. Weight loss itself is fairly common sense, but determination and motivation... those are harder in my opinion. Just my 2 cents :drinker:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • NicholeMann
    Options
    I have a friend who has been struggling with her weight on and off for years now who is actually angry with me for losing weight as though I'm withholding some kind of secret pill from her.

Sooo true. I have a friend and a relative who are both overweight and struggle with it, then get very angry because I've had four children but I'm still in shape. I was lucky, I suppose, that I was raised in a family where nutrition and exercise were made a priority when I was young, and carried that into my adult life, so it was just natural to me than not working out, if that makes sense :) It wasn't easy, by any stretch (I'm still struggling with the last 15 pounds of baby weight) but I've just done it. I even offered to buy my relative any workout set she would enjoy (whether it was yoga or Zumba or anything!) but she says exercise makes her feel "sweaty and icky" and she prefers to not workout. Then, if I workout in front of her, she makes comments about how I'm selfish or a "dumb jock" (even though I have a master's degree!) or I'm sacrificing time with my kids! I'm sorry for venting on your question, she's just made me feel very sad and guilty.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has been struggling with her weight on and off for years now who is actually angry with me for losing weight as though I'm withholding some kind of secret pill from her.

Seriously, you don't need friends like this.
  • shanni30
    shanni30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

... or I'm sacrificing time with my kids! I'm sorry for venting on your question, she's just made me feel very sad and guilty.

Something all parents need to remember is that taking time for ourselves (in doing anything we enjoy) makes us better parents, and taking time to exercise makes us better role models for our children! Don't feel guilty for a second!
  • rldnellor
    rldnellor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I hae been going through this same thing. I went back to teaching after the summer break and everyone is asking what I did, how did I do it, etc...they act like it was a summer miracle. I tell them I lost 20 pounds of it before school let out last year, but only a few seems to notice. It was like magic over 2 months in the summer all of a suddent hey think I dropped 3 sizes. It took me 8 months of hard work and self dicipline to get here and when I say myfitnesspal, they are like no way and I have even had some people withthe gall to question me and make fun of the fact I say a phone app or website did this for me. Some people are just unbelieveable.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    They want to hear that you have some secret that makes weight loss quick and easy or they want to hear how terribly difficult it is so that they can convince themselves we are doing something that they just can't do. Then they feel justified in not doing anything.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    In a world full of weak-willed people incapable of resisting the urge for immediate gratification, a modicum of self-control and the ability to set and achieve realistic goals IS magic.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I hae been going through this same thing. I went back to teaching after the summer break and everyone is asking what I did, how did I do it, etc...they act like it was a summer miracle. I tell them I lost 20 pounds of it before school let out last year, but only a few seems to notice. It was like magic over 2 months in the summer all of a suddent hey think I dropped 3 sizes. It took me 8 months of hard work and self dicipline to get here and when I say myfitnesspal, they are like no way and I have even had some people withthe gall to question me and make fun of the fact I say a phone app or website did this for me. Some people are just unbelieveable.

Give yourself some credit too. It is not just a phone app and website but your own commitment and determination. I work in an office where nearly everybody is overweight. Several belong to Weight Watchers, several others did the Atkins Diet followed by some weight gain then another fad diet followed by some weight gain, etc etc etc. There is one woman who has been steadily gaining weight for years and now has to shop at Layne Bryant (sp?) for plus sized women. I could see myself in her and I decided that enough was enough and I had to stop making excuses. She sees me now nearly 25# lighter in the 5 months I've been trying (3 months on MFP). I keep telling people what my doctor told me, calories in vs calories out. You don't have to starve yourself but if you want to lose weight you either need to reduce your caloric intake, increase your calorie burn or find a balance of both. MFP helps me do that and having access to it on my smart phone helps it work for me. Having a strong determination and will power helps as does the support and encouragement of my MFP peeps.
  • rldnellor
    rldnellor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow, 81 pounds loss. Very cool! Great job!