Apparently, one IS one born every minute.

Options
TheFinalThird
TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
Tomorrow night, the LeBron James and the Miami Heat visit our Houston Rockets. My 12 year old son is a LeBron James fan (although this is one matter that he and I don't see eye to eye on). Nevertheless, given his A average in school, I got on the Rockets' website like a dutiful and loving father to see if any non-scalped game tickets remained available. I punched in the 2 $50 tickets that I wanted and was advised that they were not available. However, the system "thoughtfully" let me know that there were two courtside tickets available for the low, low price of $6,000 EACH plus $30 for the automatic ticketing fee and $30 for parking. So, basically, in order to reward my son for his hard work at school and enjoy some father-son bonding time, they wanted me to pay $12,060. Plus food and gasoline to get there.

A few observations are in order.

First, $12,000 for 2 tickets and you want me to pay an additional $30 for a service fee and $30 to park? Really Houston Rockets? Really?

Second, who has $12k to watch a regular season basketball game? Or even a playoff game? Or even the second (or third, depending on your religion) coming of the Lord?

Third, for my $6,000 seat, there had better be a private room where I can watch Bar Rafaeli and Brooklyn Decker playing tonsil hockey with each other while I sip Louis Roederer Cristal champagne (preferably from the legendary and exceptional 1990 vintage).

Fourth, these weren't even scalped seats. These were directly from www.houstonrockets.com.

Out of curiosity as to what he would say, I asked my 12 year old son Jake whether he would rather have one year of his college tuition paid for, or to watch the Rockets and Heat courtside tomorrow night. Without hesitating, he chose the year of college. Curious as to his reasoning, I asked why. He said, "College is important to get a really good job. I can just watch the basketball game on tv." I said, "yes, but it's LeBron James" (whose poster is taped to his bedroom wall). He said, "He is still LeBron James on tv."

Phineas T. Barnum was right. A sucker IS born every minute. The proof of it is that they wouldn't be selling those seats for $6,000 each (plus service charge and parking and minus Brooklyn and Bar) if SOMEONE out there weren't buying them. Thankfully, however, that sucker does not live in my house.

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Good choice, Jake!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    You are definitely doing a good job raising that boy!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Awesome!
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    Absolutely ridiculous...and a really smart kid!
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    That kid's going to go far!
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    No cigars with the Champagne while watching Bar and Brooklyn?
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity as to what he would say, I asked my 12 year old son Jake whether he would rather have one year of his college tuition paid for, or to watch the Rockets and Heat courtside tomorrow night. Without hesitating, he chose the year of college. Curious as to his reasoning, I asked why. He said, "College is important to get a really good job. I can just watch the basketball game on tv." I said, "yes, but it's LeBron James" (whose poster is taped to his bedroom wall). He said, "He is still LeBron James on tv."

You have an awesome kid with a great head on his shoulders.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow night, the LeBron James and the Miami Heat visit our Houston Rockets. My 12 year old son is a LeBron James fan (although this is one matter that he and I don't see eye to eye on). Nevertheless, given his A average in school, I got on the Rockets' website like a dutiful and loving father to see if any non-scalped game tickets remained available. I punched in the 2 $50 tickets that I wanted and was advised that they were not available. However, the system "thoughtfully" let me know that there were two courtside tickets available for the low, low price of $6,000 EACH plus $30 for the automatic ticketing fee and $30 for parking. So, basically, in order to reward my son for his hard work at school and enjoy some father-son bonding time, they wanted me to pay $12,060. Plus food and gasoline to get there.

A few observations are in order.

First, $12,000 for 2 tickets and you want me to pay an additional $30 for a service fee and $30 to park? Really Houston Rockets? Really?

Second, who has $12k to watch a regular season basketball game? Or even a playoff game? Or even the second (or third, depending on your religion) coming of the Lord?

Third, for my $6,000 seat, there had better be a private room where I can watch Bar Rafaeli and Brooklyn Decker playing tonsil hockey with each other while I sip Louis Roederer Cristal champagne (preferably from the legendary and exceptional 1990 vintage).

Fourth, these weren't even scalped seats. These were directly from www.houstonrockets.com.

Phineas T. Barnum was right. A sucker IS born every minute. The proof of it is that they wouldn't be selling those seats for $6,000 each (plus service charge and parking and minus Brooklyn and Bar) if SOMEONE out there weren't buying them. Thankfully, however, that sucker does not live in my house.

stop being selfish. LeBron's gotta pay the bills too!

those gold plated trashbags and a week's worth of caviar and Cristal costs $$$.

don't be a hater...

:tongue:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what your point is here.

There are plenty of cheaper seats, they were sold out by the time you tried to get some, that's what happens if you leave it late.

There are plenty of people willing to pay that money for a front court seat, hence them being on sale for that price as you point out.

If that person is a multi-millionaire are they an idiot for buying that ticket? that's small change to them. IF you had the money and it was not issue to you, would you not want to be front court to see lebron?

I think the moral of the story is really,if you want to go and see something that will likely draw a good crowd, get tickets earlier.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You are incredibly blessed. You have a bright son. :happy: I LOVE his response to your question.:drinker:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what your point is here.

There are plenty of cheaper seats, they were sold out by the time you tried to get some, that's what happens if you leave it late.

There are plenty of people willing to pay that money for a front court seat, hence them being on sale for that price as you point out.

If that person is a multi-millionaire are they an idiot for buying that ticket? that's small change to them. IF you had the money and it was not issue to you, would you not want to be front court to see lebron?

I think the moral of the story is really,if you want to go and see something that will likely draw a good crowd, get tickets earlier.

agreed. its all relative. as you say 6k to a millionaire is not that much. and those $50 seats the OP was looking for? a poor person who is living day to day looks at that and thinks its ridiculous to spend $50 on a basketball game.
  • slleader
    slleader Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What an awesome kid!! Very impressive!! :)