Dam dr!

Options
So I went to the dr yesterday and my drs supervisor said that the 16lbs I lost was just water. And now Im depressed and I feel myself going back to the way I was. Its like he had a balloon and popped it right infront of my face. I think I look like I have in my face and people have noticed but him saying that just depressed me :(

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    16 lbs seems like alot of water weight!! Who is a Drs supervisor??? you should have kick him in the shins! LOL! 16 lbs is a big accomplishment, you should be proud of that! Keep on keepin on!!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I was told that once before too. What a load of crap. I don't know what goes through some Dr's minds that they actually discourage their patients instead on encourageing them. I assure you that it wasn't just water. Sure some was, but some was excess fat. The best way to prove them wrong is to continue on your healthy path and maybe switch docs. You'll reach your goal, then who'll be blabbing about water?? You can do it - don't let them get you down. You've done fabulous :drinker:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I doubt it was all water weight, maybe a lot of it was but not all. 16 pounds would be a lot of water. Don't get discouraged think about how much better your cloths are fitting and how much better you feel, these are more important the even the number on the scale.
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Who cares what they think? Do you feel better about yourself for losing the 16 lbs. That is an accomplishment all on its own. Do not let anyone ever make you feel bad. Stand up, shoulders back and walk proud. This is why we are here. We all want to lose weight with the right encouragement.
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    Did you live underwater before you started losing. I think that would be the only way that 16lbs would be water weight. Hell FLIPPER does not even have 16lbs of water weight. Just keep up with the program.
  • motherhippo
    motherhippo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I find that Doctors can be discouraging without even realizing it. What does he want you to do exactly. If losing weight is one of your goals, then you are doing it!! Hang in there and try and forget about the unthoughtful things people can say, even the ones who are supposed to be smart.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    16 lbs. is NOT all water weight. 10 most is but it's STILL weight lost! I hate whenever I would lose the first 10 lbs, my sister or mom or friend would say "It's just water weight". Thanks, JERK! Don't listen to them. Nothing irritates me more than someone who discourages someone who is trying to be healthy - and it's usually someone who is not healthy or thinks they know it all about fitness and weight loss. Ugh. Drives me CRAZYY!!!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    OY! Sometimes Dr's really tick me off... they harp at people to lose weight, cannot give you an idea of how to do it - then they discourage you when you've succeeded. 16 lbs is not water weight... and even if it was - you've made healthy changes that have allowed your body to stop holding water. Keep doing what you're doing and when you go back let him tell you that your next 16 was just water weight too!
    You're doing great! keep up the good work!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Dr's suck!
    After I lost 30 lbs I went into see my Dr thinking I would get a high five and instead she said "well that is good, but you really need to lose another 40-45"

:noway: :cry:

Keep on going, that is not water, he is an *kitten*!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    Doctors arent all good, and if my doctor told me I lost 18 pounds of water weight I would consider him a quack and find another doctor, unless you have some sort of heart condition that causes severe, severe edema and water retention, which doesnt seem the case or you would certainly be aware of such a condition.

Just because someone goes to school to become a doctor doesnt mean he is a good one. Shop around and find a doctor that is a better fit for you.. thats my opinion anyway.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else...16lbs is definitely not all water weight. Keep doing what you're doing....dont listen to nay-sayers. Doctors or anyone in the medical field should know better.

I told my doc. on Friday that I lost 15lbs and he damn near hugged me! He was thrilled. Ive known him for about 33 years now and he knows the struggles Ive had with obesity. It was nice to get the support but I know Im doing this only for me.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Everyones first few pounds is water weight, but I doubt seriously that it's 16 pounds! and enless he measured your body fat/ water percentages before you started he couldn't possibly say that. A doctor that will say something even though he doesn't really know would be a problem in my book. Was he fat? he was probably just hating ;) Keep up the good work! I know when I start a diet the first week I lose 6-10 pounds, but then it tapers off to 2 to 3 pounds a week. that first week is water weight, but when it drops back down to a little at a time, that's fat baby!! So just keep doing what your doing! 16 lbs is 16 lbs, it don't matter what it was!!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus that it was probably not ALL water weight. When I lost 7 pounds in my first week, I think that definitely was, but 16 is an awful lot to just be water.

I wouldn't let it get you down though - after all, the water weight has to go. It's the first major part of dieting and it's a stage of the loss. I would just say "screw it" and keep going, knowing that if you've lost all your water weight you're now working on the fat! And you must be doing something right, so good for you.

I can't believe they were so unsupportive. I've been looking forward to going to my rheumatologist in June just to get the jaw-dropper response from a medical professional.... I hope she's not such a jerk.
  • Eilidh1035
    Options
    The drs' supervisor is nuts! Send him this link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-fat/AN01327. Just think how much fat you must have burned to lose "16 lbs" of water. I'd be asking my doctor why I should stay with him after receiving such "positive" feed -back.

Keep the faith, listen to you own body and look for a new doctor.
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    I think it's great you lost 16 pounds! I agree with everyone else though, there's no way it's ALL water weight, that sounds a little ridiculous. I think doctors mean well, they just don't always know the best way to show it. They may harp on people about losing weight, usually with good reason, but as stated above, they can't always tell you how to do it. From what I understand, it's not a big part of their education. They may have taken a couple classes in their undergrad and have a general idea, but chances are most of them are not going to be as helpful in the weight loss area as a registered dietitian. As far as this goes though, screw them lol. I commend you on your positive lifestyle choices to get rid of those 16 pounds. Keep it up!
  • nickkehagias
    Options
    A) A gallon of water weighs 11 pounds.
    B)Fatty tissue has a lot of water in it. So, when you're burning fat, you are actually getting rid of a lot of excess "water" that is stuck in your body.

I think he just explained it poorly. You didn't just drop a gallon and a half of water out of your system, it's physically impossible. It's fat that was burned away!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Dr's suck!
    After I lost 30 lbs I went into see my Dr thinking I would get a high five and instead she said "well that is good, but you really need to lose another 40-45"

:noway: :cry:

Keep on going, that is not water, he is an *kitten*!
    i HAVE been told the same, Some of them DO suck...
  • Shannon82
    Options
    Personally, I'd find a new doctor. You need a doctor who will support you on your weightloss goals and not burst your bubble. Whatever was said, put it out of your mind and get back to your routine. The next time you go to the doctor and it shows you've lost MORE weight, say to him "so that's just water weight too right?" Living well is the best revenge.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Time to find a new doctor!!
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Even so girlfriend, 16 pounds is 16 pounds! And if you lost 16 pounds of "water weight" doing whatever you're doing, you're sure to lose 16 more! Don't let your doctor get you down. This man or woman sees so many people that they just don't give a *kitten* about the personal feelings of one person. WAY TO GO!!! And when you've lost the next sixteen, make sure to tell him/her that now you lost two CASES of water.