Keeping fruits fresh

Options
Ok we all know fruits are one of the most healthiest foods but I can't figure out how to keep them fresh for longer that 3 days. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I turned my fridge down so some wouldn't freeze but when I leave them out they rot. Could it be the grocery store I buy from. So confused? Help!

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It is actually pretty easy to keep fruits from going bad so quickly!

When you get home from the grocery store, fill one side of the sink with cold water and a bit of white vinegar. On the other side of the sink, rinse the fruits under cold water then let them "soak" in the vinegar-water for 5-10 minutes. What you are doing is rinsing off any surface mold, which causes the fruits to go bad quickly, and then soaking them in an acidic solution which prevents the formation of mold. You can repeat this every few days to make the fruit last much longer. :smile:
  • noahluvr
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I will try this asap.
  • Lorlei25
    Lorlei25 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of Debbie Meyer "Green Bags"? They are one of those "As Seen on TV" things...I buy them at Target. They work to extend the life of berries, apples and slow the ripening of bananas.....love them!
  • LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wow this is some very useful info! Thanks for sharing.