Losing balance while running

Options
I fell on concrete this morning while jogging outside - it's not the first time I've fallen, as I have unusual muscular composition on my left leg(weaker muscles, doesn't turn out at the hip, turns in at the foot). Being pigeon-toed, which I was as a kid, is a pretty common problem, so I would think I'm not the only one who might be like this? Most people have a "dominant" side, right or left.

Anyway, I was proud of falling this time with barely any scrapes and bruises to show for it - a plus side of falling in the colder months.

But the way I caught myself was unusual - instead of taking the weight of the fall on my palms, I took it on the forearm - my left hand has scrapes and cuts only on the outside, and I have a slight, non-bleeding scrape on the side of my left knee, but no injuries on my palms at all. I also bounced myself forward so that when I first made contact, I didn't take all the force, but put some of the force into the bounce. I protected my chin, but ended up with my face close enough to the sidewalk that I have a fat lower lip. But all in all I was proud to manage to distribute the force of that through my whole body, so that I could get up again and keep walking with no real damage.

I'm interested to know - to others that have fallen while exercising - what was your best/worst fall or your most strategic way to fall?

Has anyone ever fallen while on a treadmill?

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your fall, hope you recover quickly.

I am very prone to tripping when running, possibly due to the opposite problem to you - my feet used to face outwards and slightly backwards until I had corrective boots while learning to walk. They still stick out a lot.

I've had two very bad falls, both of which scraped my entire forearms and fronts of my shins - a complete pavement dive. The worst tore the ligaments in my shoulder and took over a year to heal; longer before I could swim again.

I mitigate my running style by only running when there's good visibility - most streets round here are too badly-lit and full of tree roots to run after dusk. I have to wear shoes with a less bulky sole - some Nikes I had stuck out about a centimetre from my foot and made me trip over myself. I also have to avoid distraction and frisky dogs, and keep my eyes about 10 foot in front of me. I should pick my feet up more, but it takes all the energy I have just to keep shuffling forward!

Strategic falling? You can't really help putting your arms out to protect your head, but going a bit floppy or wheeling your legs like a cartoon character to regain your balance may help.

Take care out there! :flowerforyou:
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Hope you recover quickly. I was out once and fell prey to black ice. Never saw it coming. My feet went out from under me and all I could do is get my ams out and keep my head from hitting. Landed square on my tailbone, which was sore as all get out from the fall. But at least I did not crack my skull!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Ouch. Hope you're feeling okay.

Can I ask have you been to a running shop to get a proper pair of running shoes fitted? It might help. In UK the best shop to go to is called Sweatshop. Not sure about US/other countries. They have trained people who watch you walk and recommend which type of shoes are for you and then they (should) ask what your price range is and show you some shoes in that price range.

Hope this helps.
  • debdelilah
    Options
    Berry - good for you for getting back up and jogging again(with the precautions) after that injury. You are right about picking my foot up and the length of the shoe being a factor - my left foot is shorter than my right, so there is more shoe than foot there. Before today it had been awhile since I had a sidewalk fall - it helps to list the things to watch for and take more precautions. Too much pain - no gain. But I am ok.

Schmenge 55 - Falling backward onto the sidewalk is my worst nightmare - no cushion and no control. Glad you were more or less ok after.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't fallen while working out, but as far as 'strategic falling', you could take a martial arts seminar on this. I took karate for several years and in the sparring sections they teach you how to fall to minimize impact, and if you practice it (on a mat or something soft at first for sure!) it may become second nature. Basically, if you are starting to fall, turn into the fall with your shoulders and tuck your head in to protect yourself. Make the fall into a rolling motion so if you hit the ground you distribute the force across your body and into your rolling motion. It takes some practice, but if you are prone to falling, it can definitely help you avoid injury!