Good protein bars?

Options
I love my Larabars for pre-workout snacks... but as a mostly-vegetarian, it's really hard to get as much protein as I want each day. So, I'm considering switching to a bar with higher protein content.

Larabars have 220-240 calories, and have lots of nuts and dried fruit. But they only really have 4-6g of protein per bar. I'd love to find something that is similar both in flavor and in calorie content (it fits well into my days at that calorie count), but with more protein. The only other thing I've ever tried: Clif Bars. Not a fan.

Any suggestions for yummy protein bars?

Replies

• Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I love premier bars. The chocolate peanut butter and double chocolate crunch are 270-290 a bar(can't remember) and have 30g of protein each. We get them at Costco but have seen them at target and walmart.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Dh and I both like the premier mentioned above and the quest bars.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Nice, thanks!! I will check them out.

I forgot to mention.... a couple of weeks ago trying to get more protein, I was eating A LOT of dairy, especially cottage cheese... along with whey protein powder. I got really sick. Now I'm just eating a little cottage cheese and a 50/50 whey/soy protein shake, and feeling much better. So I'd rather go with something that's not just packing a lot of whey.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Zone Perfect has some good tasting bars- average 14-15g protein and about 200cal. I have tried most of the flavors and all are pretty good except the cookie dough- it's totally different than the rest of them. (consistency is way wet and sticky)

Also the EAS advantEDGE bars are 240 cals and 17 g protein. Only flavor I've tried is the chocolate peanut butter crisp. It's more PB and less chocolate (which I like)

Both list soy protein first so there is much less whey in those.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like ThinkThin protein bars. Around 220 calories, 20-22 grams of whey protein, no gluten, a bit like a very dense brownie, not overly sweet (I get the dark chocolate ones in the hospital cafeteria for a snack between lunch and dinner) and paired with a piece of fruit and a carton of whole milk, it's a pretty good mini-meal.
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    I haven't really found a protein bar I feel good about eating.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I like the Zone protein bars, and there a few of the Special K bars I like. I kinda got sick of Cliff Luna bars but they have some good ones too. Also look at Slim Fast meal replacement bars.

My favorites lately are:
    Zone cashew pretzel
    Special K peanut butter chocolate
    Slim Fast Sweet and Salty Chocolate Almond
    Mojo (made by Cliff) peanut butter pretzel

I try to stay with a bar that has 180-200 cals, and 10-15 grams of protein.
  • barbbrauner
    barbbrauner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Arbonne nutrition bars, chocolate and fruit options. Gluten free, vegan, 170 calories, Vit A, C ,D, E all B Vit. 9 gr protein, 4 gr fat. Protein is from peas. Pumpkin seeds, quinoa etc. they keep me full for a long time. I am an Arbonne consultant but I did read that you cannot sell here which is not my intent. But I have searched for this kind of bar for sooo long.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I love my Larabars for pre-workout snacks... but as a mostly-vegetarian, it's really hard to get as much protein as I want each day. So, I'm considering switching to a bar with higher protein content.

Larabars have 220-240 calories, and have lots of nuts and dried fruit. But they only really have 4-6g of protein per bar. I'd love to find something that is similar both in flavor and in calorie content (it fits well into my days at that calorie count), but with more protein. The only other thing I've ever tried: Clif Bars. Not a fan.

Any suggestions for yummy protein bars?

If you're up for making your own, here is a vegetarian site that has some good recipes, http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-recipes-for-athletes/

I made the chocolate quinoa energy bars for my vegan sister after her last 1/2 marathon and they are delicious! They are super versatile with the flavor ad-ins. Also, you can choose the protein source and know exactly what's going into them. I made a batch yesterday and have them in my freezer, I can pull one out whenever I want a bar.

Hope this helps!
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    I love Luna Protein bars. I think they average 170 calories a bar with 14-16g of protein. On another note, I am just waiting for larabar to toss some hemp seeds or something into one of their bars to up the protein.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    I love power crunch bars and balance bars! Both taste great and loads of protein!!
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The best ones will be homemade, however since that is not always plausible, I like pure protein Carmel nut, kinda like a snickers, but not really..lol..20 grams of protien and about 200 calories....the new just basics has a good chocolate one that has 21 grams of protien and around 200 calories as well....just know none of them are really good for you, however they seem to work with my lifestyle often.
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ThinkThin are my favorites - 15-20g protein at 200-230 cal. I like the creamy PB, espresso, white chocolate and my absolute favorite is the chocolate-covered strawberry one. I get them at Trader Joe or Whole Foods (the espresso and strawberry). Another one I like from Trader Joe is Promax low-sugar (it has Stevia) - PB again. 18g protein and 200-220 calories. I like Luna bars a lot, but they have too many calories for not enough protein... I like to get as much protein as I can from a bar. For the same reason, I never get nut/fruit bars (Larabar, the nutty ones from ThinkThin) - too many carbs/calories for too little protein, and they are much too sweet.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've tried like 1000 different protein bars.
    Well today i went to gnc, trying yet again to find a good protein bar.
    So, i told the guy behind the counter about my protein bar adventure.
    Well, he told me that i should try these protein shakes. Mainly because he told me that a lot of protein bars
    Have soy protein,transfats and some other stuff and soy protein wasnt the kind i needed for weight training and to make up for my lack of protein in my diet.
    Well, him being a nice guy gave me some out of his to try, and i really liked the chocolate one, it tasted like yoohoo! I think the brand. is lean shake!

I have no clue if this helps,but, i hope it does.