Polar FT4

Options
Opinions? I'm looking for a heart rate monitor to track my gym burns accurately, plus I'm interested in seeing what I burn at work in a day.

Replies

• janicemitchellcross
    Options
    Bump
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Go for it, you won't regret it. Polar is about as good as it gets in the HRM business. I have an FT7 and my wife has an FT4. Both are great.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm the wife mentioned above that has an FT4. I like it a lot. I was frustrated with MFP's calorie burn estimates for exercise other than walking... many things I tried to use were giving me too much calorie credit, so if I ate back those calories, I limited or stalled my loss. Using the FT4 results and eating back a part or all of my exercise calories works for me. If there were things I'd change it's that the wrist strap on the receiver/calculator device is pretty stiff... makes getting a comfortable fit take more effort than I'd like. I want to slap it on and go, not readjust 1-3 times. Overall, that's pretty minor. And the other thing is that when you use the feature that turns the light on and displays session progress by putting the wrist unit near the chest strap transmitter, you get only 3 pieces of data, and you can't choose both. You get the time of day and it alternates with whichever display you last viewed. I'd like to pick which 2 are displayed, because I'd rather see time elapsed and current heart rate or session burn. I don't really need to see time of day at all. Still I like the monitor and find it worth the money spent.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I like my FT7 I liked it even more when I was doing mainly gym ... but now that I run 3 days a week I wish I had something with GPS enabled...
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 on Friday and used it today. So far, I really like it.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7, and absolutely love it!!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have one and live it! Best fitness investment I have ever made :)
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm the wife mentioned above that has an FT4. I like it a lot. I was frustrated with MFP's calorie burn estimates for exercise other than walking... many things I tried to use were giving me too much calorie credit, so if I ate back those calories, I limited or stalled my loss. Using the FT4 results and eating back a part or all of my exercise calories works for me. If there were things I'd change it's that the wrist strap on the receiver/calculator device is pretty stiff... makes getting a comfortable fit take more effort than I'd like. I want to slap it on and go, not readjust 1-3 times. Overall, that's pretty minor. And the other thing is that when you use the feature that turns the light on and displays session progress by putting the wrist unit near the chest strap transmitter, you get only 3 pieces of data, and you can't choose both. You get the time of day and it alternates with whichever display you last viewed. I'd like to pick which 2 are displayed, because I'd rather see time elapsed and current heart rate or session burn. I don't really need to see time of day at all. Still I like the monitor and find it worth the money spent.

Thank you so much for the reply
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My husband has used the FT7 for a couple of years and loves it. I recently purchased a FT4 and am very happy with it as well. Calorie burns are much more accurate than MFP shows and now are consistent with my weight loss.
    Ebay or Amazon has some great prices, much lower than in stores.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have an FT6 or 7 (can't remember which) but I love it! I've been using it for 6 months and have had no problems. I find that it's accurate and I have not had to replace a battery yet using it about 8 hours/week or more for 6 months.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I've had my FT-4 for a few months now, and it was money well spent. I can't imagine going through a workout without it.......
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you have a newer phone that supports bluetooth 4.0, it's much cheaper to just get the polar H7 and sync it that way using an app. My belt went bad and it was $20 on amazon for a new belt or $60 and I get the new belt and the wearlink that connects to my phone.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    love my new ft4. had it about two weeks. looked in to the ft7, but didn't need all it had to offer.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Opinions? I'm looking for a heart rate monitor to track my gym burns accurately, plus I'm interested in seeing what I burn at work in a day.

A HRM won't be accurate for your work calories unless you are doing something that keeps your HR elevated for the whole time. The algorithms are set for an accelerated HR. For something you wear all day you need a FitBit type device.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    im going to pick up a polar H7 in the next couple of weeks :)
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I ordered an ft4 today and can't wait to start working with it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

A HRM won't be accurate for your work calories unless you are doing something that keeps your HR elevated for the whole time. The algorithms are set for an accelerated HR. For something you wear all day you need a FitBit type device.

This! I have both the FitBit and the Ft4 - love them both. Use the FItBit for all day use and the HRM for exercises that don't involve walking/running.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't think any HRM is 100% accurate, but Polar is definitely one of the best on the market. I bought an FT4 about a month ago and haven't regretted it.
  • dbh3425
    dbh3425 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    love my new ft4. had it about two weeks. looked in to the ft7, but didn't need all it had to offer.

Me, too. This website had the lowest price I found for my ft4: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-purple.html
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the polar is only accurate when you're working in your target heart rate zone. That's the formula it's equipped with; if you wear it all day doing everyday things, it will be wildly inaccurate. If you're looking for something to wear all the time, get a fitbit or a Body Media Fit. I have a polar and a BMF; the Polar I only wear during a workout.