NSV - 10 miles!

Options
Yesterday, to celebrate my 29th birthday, I did something that 5 months ago would have been absolutely unthinkable for me: I ran in a 10 mile race.

5 months ago, I was just about to go to a checkup, step on the scale, and get a nasty surprise. 5 months ago, I had done little more than flirt sporadically with exercising at all - Turbo jam for a few weeks, P90X for 3 weeks, occasionally aerobics at home. Running? HAH! Not on your life, buddy. 5 months ago, I had vowed each year that by my birthday I would lose this "baby weight" (weight that kept piling on after the baby was born too...).

But yesterday, to celebrate that this birthday was not like any of the other birthdays in my 20s, I started it off with an early morning race at Navy Pier and ran 10 miles. I earned a flashy new spinning finishers medal.

Did the race go perfect? No - it started 30 minutes late, so the other slow runners and I got caught by a sailboat crossing about 9 1/4 miles into the race. We were literally stopped for at least 8:38 (that's how long it took from the time I looked at my watch to the time we could go again - but I didn't look right away) while the lifted a bridge that was part of the course so sailboats could cross. It made the last 3/4 of a mile painful, because my legs had stiffened up. And I was slow, as always - with that delay, my time ended up being 2:22:58.

But at 29, I ran 10 miles - and I never could have done that before. Today I am stiff, I am a little achey, but I RAN 10 MILES. Best birthday ever :)

Replies

• kgeldreich
    Options
    Congrats--that's a huge accomplishment!
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    NSV, those are the best. The waypoints that our weight loss journey takes us, many unexpected. A non-runner at the beginning and now you are a 10 miler. This is huge! Display your finisher metal, as a reminder of your accomplishment. May you have many more. Great Job!
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Yay!!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats and Happy birthday!
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What a great NSV, you should be proud. 10 miles is a great distance. YOU ROCK.....congrats.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Awesome job! I was in Chicago last weekend when the hot chocolate 15k was going on...I totally want to go back next year and run it! :)
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Hooray for you!!!! I am so so so so so proud of you! The fact that you even entered this race is amazing, but then you FINISHED IT...after that delay SO many people would have just phoned it in but you didn't and that is why YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!!!! I really enjoy running, but I can't right now b/c of my stupid knee. Take care of yourself...ALWAYS have good shoes and listen to your body. I know you are sore today, but it is an amazing sore...a wonderful sore, because it reminds you of what a phenomenal job you did. WAY TO GO!!!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! =)
  • kris10stew
    kris10stew Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic accomplishment! Way to finish!
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Thank you! :D
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What an AWESOME accomplishment!!
  • FarmGirl69
    Options
    That is so awesome! I know I couldn't do 10 miles, but I'm so proud of you being able to do it!! Congrats!
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    holy...crap.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    holy...crap.

:laugh: That's almost as good as a friend of mine's reaction - I told her and she went....why?! LOL!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! I did my first 10K this weekend so I understand your celebration!
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment - congratulations to you!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That's my favorite distance - long enough to really feel it, but not long enough to wear yourself down too much. Congratulations! :drinker:
  • griffx12
    griffx12 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What a great birthday present to yourself - congratulations!!!
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Thank you :) Next in sight - half marathon. But I need to train myself to eat while I run, because I definitely crashed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!