Music While Running?

Options

Replies

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @Pinkgumdrop: I'm the exact opposite - music gives me rythm and keeps me going - without it i'm negatively distracted by my heavy breathing :P

Agree with this. If I have to listen to myself breathe, it starts to mess with me and I end up breating way too heavy and have even hyperventilated before.
    Music gets me "out of my head". That said, I pick music that helps me work on my pace. For example, when I started running, I listened to a lot of fast, pop/rap music to keep me going even if I wanted to stop (think Rihanna, David Guetta, etc). Now, I'm working on my pace, so I'm picking more rock music with a heavy, slower base beat (think Sail by AWOLnation, Evanescence, or Linkin Park).

Ha ha I have all of the songs you listed on my workout playlist!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    @Pinkgumdrop: I'm the exact opposite - music gives me rythm and keeps me going - without it i'm negatively distracted by my heavy breathing :P

Agree with this. If I have to listen to myself breathe, it starts to mess with me and I end up breating way too heavy and have even hyperventilated before.
    Music gets me "out of my head". That said, I pick music that helps me work on my pace. For example, when I started running, I listened to a lot of fast, pop/rap music to keep me going even if I wanted to stop (think Rihanna, David Guetta, etc). Now, I'm working on my pace, so I'm picking more rock music with a heavy, slower base beat (think Sail by AWOLnation, Evanescence, or Linkin Park).

It is strange that my breathing is great as long as I don't think about. As soon as I notice it, either good or bad, I start puffing. I trained with respirators for work and had a similar problem especially with on-demand supplies. My focus seems to need to stay on my form and foot pace.
  • alienrite
    Options

same, except that i usually listen to really hardcore stuff (Parkway Drive, The Architects, As I Lay Dying etc.)

There's a cardio rap station I use on Pandora. Occasionally I use the classic rock cardio too.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I used to run with an mp3 player and would rather miss a run than run without it if I forgot to pack it.

Now I prefer to listen to the pattern of my breath and I am more aware of the trees, the ground, the air and humans, birds and animals around. The music was blocking me from being "in the moment".
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    To alisonmrn thanks for the great tip I'm going straight to that site.
    I love to listen to music when I run or any other exercise. I choose music that's got a good beat and puts me in a good mood distracting me from the pain of my burning leg muscles lol.
    I'm a big rock/metal/cheesy rock fan and my "power song" on my workout playlist is iron maiden- run free. Makes me bounce and run like I'm a kid again :bigsmile:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to need music to run. I'm so weird. I listen to podcasts and audio books. I like to get lost in thought when I run.
  • alienrite
    Options
    Most people seem to need music to run. I'm so weird. I listen to podcasts and audio books. I like to get lost in thought when I run.

I lose the ability to follow spoken word stories when my HR gets above 80% and my thoughts just float. Like skipping stones on a pond. Part of the magic for me. Music lets me come and go which is great.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love listening to music and the Warrior Dash and a zombie run were the only races I did without music. (Warrior Dash because I didn't think it would survive the mud and water, zombie run because I wouldn't survive if I couldn't hear them coming).

I have it low enough that I can hear my surroundings... carry on a conversation with someone next to me, hear a dog's tags jingling, hear someone vacuuming inside their house, hear the music playing in cars driving by, hear a sparrow fart in a tree above me, etc.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It is so much nicer to run with your stride matching the music. At least that is what keeps me going. I sing and plod along listening to dorky songs like "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" that I would not be caught dead listening to any other time.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    By the way if you have one song that is a perfect tempo for you and want more, go to jog.fm and do a search on that song. It will show you tons more.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have got to have my music to stay motivated but I do keep it low and/or in only one ear. At races, I leave it at home as the pure excitement of the race is stimulating enough, though I think if I was doing a long (10miles +) race, I'd need music. Lots of races just don't allow it. So, bottom line, for training, love my music. FOr races, don't need it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I first started running (with c25k), I didn't use any music, just wanted to concentrate on what I was doing and on my surroundings. Once I graduated from the program and felt more comfortable with my route and just being out there, I added music. I keep it low enough so that I can still hear traffic, but I love running with my music now.

I've only done three 5k races so far, and haven't taken music for any of them - I like the noise of the race, the runners around me, and want to be more aware of those things. For a longer race, I might consider music to keep me going - hopefully I'll work my way up to a longer race one of these days so I can find out! :bigsmile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

this happens to me a lot! i have to remember to focus on the music, not my tempo or my breathing or else it gets bad.

I'm also curious as to what race would say no music? I, personally, wouldn't sign up for a race that had that as a rule. You could play music through your phone speaker if you wanted, though.

A lot of races say no music - they have to say that for liability issues. They want runners to be aware of their surroundings, so they don't veer into traffic or miss signals from race officials. If someone does get hurt because they couldn't hear, they can say "Not our fault, we told him/her not to have headphones." Most race officals have better things to do than to be earbud police, so it's generally overlooked, but almost all major races will have that rule.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I think music is great for running I use it alot. I need to dial down my playlists because I find myself looking for a song sometimes and that throws my pace off.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I also listen to music whilst running. It really helps to make the run more enjoyable and I do tend to run with the beat of the music.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Train a little both ways. I used to think I couldn't bear running 5 or more miles without music. Now I do that routinely, and then enjoy switching things up with a little music sometimes. The best motivator for my pacing is my GPS. .I HATE it when the pace gets to low so I kick my tail into gear!!
  • tubaman58
    Options
    I am a musician, and I love to listen while I run, but I find that (especially outside) I run faster without the music.
    I save the music for the (boring) treadmill or indoor track
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    I run to 70's rock. For some reason it works so well for me.... Other stuff isn't good for me at all. But with my biking I can't listen to the 70's rock. It's odd. I guess you'll just have to find what works best for you.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I have a very select Running play list that has very upbeat temp...A lot of good 70's, 80''s, 90s rock and some current stuff too. But it has to be super amped to really get me going b/c I'm very musical and must stay on the beat.

On the race bit...I've done a couple of 5K races (Warrior Dash both times); I didn't have ANY problem running without the music...running with the other people, competition plus the starting line gets you super pumped before starting...the only problem I had was that I started like a jack rabbit because they had me TOO pumped up! haha! Myabe I'm just too high strung....oh right, I'm type A.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I need my music/cadences to motivate me. It helps me get out of my head with the doldrums and it also helps me to set and keep my pace. Keep in mind where you are running and your surroundings when it comes to safety.