Cant exercise, what now?

Options
Hi all, really just needed to vent!! I am down 24 pounds and it has been really difficult going as I have underactive thyroid so its slow progress...anyhow I am after hurting my foot, doc thinks i should walk on it etc and I have been but its getting worse and I cannot exercise on it...I am feeling really down coz of this and worried about gaining the weight back...Also I have to be in college every day so dont have time to rest it properly...I actually feel like crying now, dont know what to do!!! :frown:

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Firstly, injuries suck. I feel your pain. They can be so demotivating. I guess the trick is not to let that happen. Try and find something you can do. You could maybe do some upper body weights. I've also heard about places that have exercise bikes that you use with your hands. Is swimming or water exercise of some kind out of the question?

Other than that your best option is to keep your diet very healthy. They do say that weight loss is 80% diet 20% exercise and in theory you should be able to continue losing weight without exercise, although it isn't ideal.

Do what you can, stay off it as much as possible and eat healthy. You can get through this :smile:
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well you don't technically NEED to exercise, calories in vs calories out. I do hope you take care of your foot and stay positive. You need to take care of yourself for the long run.

When I couldn't exercise I found that I was okay with eating just my budget for the day, I didn't find myself to be hungry. I've always exercised to "earn" the calories needed to indulge in a glass of wine or a dish of ice cream or whatever my treat was. If you find you can't stay within your weight loss goal calories without exercise, perhaps you could concentrate on maintaining until you're able to exercise again?
  • Nanook8
    Nanook8 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Be more attentive to the calories you are eating. Consider some basic floor exercises or even just some arm exercises with weights while sitting around watching TV. Just some kind of movement is helpful!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I would suggest watching your calories very closely (but don't undereat, compensating probably won't help!) and doing what you can.

Over the summer I went thru 2 rounds of IVF and the meds were brutal. On July 4th I ran a 5k in 34 minutes. Literally 2 days later just walking up a couple stairs practically killed me. But I kept my calories in check and didn't gain (within a week of being off the meds my weight returned to normal).

What about lifting weights? I agree with water aerobics or swimming if that's an option. Last fall I hurt my foot (I rested for about a week before taking up exercise again....6 weeks before running again) and I found both the elliptical and the bike to be much easier on my foot than running or walking.

Hang in there. It'll heal. And when it does, you'll have a new appreciation for what you will be able to do!! Congrats on the 24 lbs, that's great!!!
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Being injured is very depressing. Try to find the middle ground between being bad and being perfect. Don't be too hard on yourself, and remember it's only temporary.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Well, please don't cry! I agree with the comments so far. Just keep eating as healthy as possible. In fact, you may research and find some other types of exerices you don't normally do. So, you may actually totally benefit from this "setback".

Good luck!!
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Firstly, injuries suck. I feel your pain. They can be so demotivating. I guess the trick is not to let that happen. Try and find something you can do. You could maybe do some upper body weights. I've also heard about places that have exercise bikes that you use with your hands. Is swimming or water exercise of some kind out of the question?

Other than that your best option is to keep your diet very healthy. They do say that weight loss is 80% diet 20% exercise and in theory you should be able to continue losing weight without exercise, although it isn't ideal.

Do what you can, stay off it as much as possible and eat healthy. You can get through this :smile:
    Thanks for the advice, I unfortunately cannot swim either...I will do my best with the diet but when I feel down like this, I find it so much harder t eat clean!!
  • reddevil29
    Options
    Well you don't technically NEED to exercise, calories in vs calories out. I do hope you take care of your foot and stay positive. You need to take care of yourself for the long run.

When I couldn't exercise I found that I was okay with eating just my budget for the day, I didn't find myself to be hungry. I've always exercised to "earn" the calories needed to indulge in a glass of wine or a dish of ice cream or whatever my treat was. If you find you can't stay within your weight loss goal calories without exercise, perhaps you could concentrate on maintaining until you're able to exercise again?
    Thank you, I will try to stay positive, however do find it so demotivating!
  • reddevil29
    Options
    Be more attentive to the calories you are eating. Consider some basic floor exercises or even just some arm exercises with weights while sitting around watching TV. Just some kind of movement is helpful!
    Didnt think of floor exercises, thank you :)
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I just tried a boxing DVD this week and it was a real workout. You could probably do something like that even while sitting down. Good luck, don't give up!
  • reddevil29
    Options
    I would suggest watching your calories very closely (but don't undereat, compensating probably won't help!) and doing what you can.

Over the summer I went thru 2 rounds of IVF and the meds were brutal. On July 4th I ran a 5k in 34 minutes. Literally 2 days later just walking up a couple stairs practically killed me. But I kept my calories in check and didn't gain (within a week of being off the meds my weight returned to normal).

What about lifting weights? I agree with water aerobics or swimming if that's an option. Last fall I hurt my foot (I rested for about a week before taking up exercise again....6 weeks before running again) and I found both the elliptical and the bike to be much easier on my foot than running or walking.

Hang in there. It'll heal. And when it does, you'll have a new appreciation for what you will be able to do!! Congrats on the 24 lbs, that's great!!!
    Thanks for your post, puts my problem into perspective :)
  • reddevil29
    Options
    Being injured is very depressing. Try to find the middle ground between being bad and being perfect. Don't be too hard on yourself, and remember it's only temporary.
    I know I tend to be quite hard on myself but if I didnt I guess I wouldnt have lost what I did.... Thanks for your advice :)
  • reddevil29
    Options
    Well, please don't cry! I agree with the comments so far. Just keep eating as healthy as possible. In fact, you may research and find some other types of exerices you don't normally do. So, you may actually totally benefit from this "setback".

Good luck!!
    Im googling other exercises right now, thank you :)
  • reddevil29
    Options
    I just tried a boxing DVD this week and it was a real workout. You could probably do something like that even while sitting down. Good luck, don't give up!
    Thank you :)
  • Krystal7786
    Krystal7786 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi all, really just needed to vent!! I am down 24 pounds and it has been really difficult going as I have underactive thyroid so its slow progress...anyhow I am after hurting my foot, doc thinks i should walk on it etc and I have been but its getting worse and I cannot exercise on it...I am feeling really down coz of this and worried about gaining the weight back...Also I have to be in college every day so dont have time to rest it properly...I actually feel like crying now, dont know what to do!!! :frown:

I feel your pain, i have to herniated disks in my back and can barely walk most days. I found an indoor pool and it helps a lot!! i still get my workouts in just with less pressure on my back. Stay positive and do what works for you :) sit down exercises, floor stuff and definitely try the pool!!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Do you have local swimming classes? I feel your pain, last year I had knee surgery then when I got the go ahead to be more active (6wks) I fell playing football with the kids and broke my collar bone in half :(

Since my activity was close to none, I found swimming, walking and stationary cycling effective once I was able to do so. I also ate closer to my BMR of 1300-1400 than my TDEE of 2000-2200.

My only drawback was I became "skinny fat" as I lost muscle mass not being able to stregnth train :( At my highest, I was 30% BF without a difference on the scale.

But I healed, I moved foward and I'm stronger now then I was last year. Don't let a boo boo bring you down, you got this!!
  • reddevil29
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I have actually stopped sobbing now :) I cant swim but will look into what other exercises I can do and try and keep to my calories!!
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    On YouTube there are chair exercises that you can do while sitting down.