any cat owners?

Replies

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    I have two cats, and if you would notice my profile name, I am completely obsessed with them. I also work with cats at a no kill animal shelter. I highly suggest you get one from a human society or shelter! There are so many that need loving homes and you can find the perfect one for your lifestyle. As for cats being dirty, it is about how you take care of them. If you are a responsible owner and recognize their needs (which for cats arent many) then there should be no reason for them to be destructive or dirty. I love cats, and even turned my dog obsessed boyfriend over to the dark side. Best animals ever.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    hey everybody. kind of random/OT but i am thinking about getting a cat. i have recently moved out of my parents home, into an apartment. i've always had dogs but i feel like a cat would better fit my lifestyle right now. i would be interested in adopting an adult cat rather than a kitten most likely. any words of wisdom? pros/cons that i should know about?

thanks ( :

I have 8 cats, all rescues and they dont pee or poop ANYWHERE other than their little box. They are not declawed (and for heavens sake DO NOT do that to them.. its inhumane) and they dont tear up ANYTHING at all. (other than an occasional roll of toilet paper, a magazine or newspaper... big deal.) They are amazing animals who love unconditional.

They are excellent for smaller areas, and perfect for people who work long hours, as they dont require much attention. Feeding and watering daily, a scoop of the litter box once a day and a little loving and cuddling and some play time once a day and they will love you forever. I think its GREAT you want to adopt an older cat however you ARE less likely to get a cat with "issues" if you get a kitten. Most shelter cats are there because of "issues" or because their owners had to move, or the kid got allergies.. or they had a baby, and a shelter is a VERY STRESSFUL place. Cats do not do well in stress and it wont take but a day or two before the stress makes them do things, like become destructive, and starting to urinate in areas that are unwanted. Just something to think about.

All of my rescues were bottle fed and hand-raised from feral mothers, who we trapped and had spayed and then released so they couldnt produce any more unwanted litters.

Good luck to you!!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

i love CATS! Do it, you wont regret it. Adopting adult cats are great because hardly no one wants them, only kittens. I just suggest you make sure they are spayed. If not when cats are angry, they will spray your house. BUT if they are spayed (or neutered which ever) They will not spray.

Cats have such an amazing personality. :)
  • A good cat owner will end up with a good cat.
    Take the great advice from the people on here about training and attention as you do get out what you put in.
    If you treat them right they will give you so much in return.
    They are sooo much easier than a dog to look after, no walks, no picking up poo, no having to brush or wash them, no having to be home in time every night so they don't go mental. In fact if you want to stay out all night, a cat will cope, a dog will have a break down.
    I have two that I have had for ten years and they are the coolest, easiest going cats and although I love dogs I could never go back to the high maintenance responsibility without a partner to share the load.
    Oh and take time choosing the right personality, spend some time checking out your potential cat( kittens are easier to get to bond with you and there are always plenty of rescue ones) and choose it for the personality it displays. I have one outgoing cat and one lazy, quiet one, they were like this at the rescue place as kittens.
    Good luck.
  • thejesspress
    thejesspress Posts: 16 Member
    I got a cat a few months before I moved into a new apartment-- I got him as a kitten and he has always been the only pet-- aside from my gecko-- (and probably always will be).

He doesn't have long hair, but I do have allergies. I have an air purifier and he gets baths every few months. As to regards for furniture, my husband and I did live with the in-laws for a few months and we put on cap claws as a precaution but we ought to never have bothered because with a good scratching post, he never even tried.

A litter box is my downfall. Oh, what an eye sore and my cat is very messy but I'd stick to something basic without the frills so it doesn't stink and it can easily be cleaned.

And be sure if you do get a cat to get hooked up with a good vet-- my cat has some special needs (unfortunately...) so, always keep an emergency fund just in case.

Sometimes my cat will annoy the day lights out of me, but he truly is one of my dearest friends. :)
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    I have had a cat for 15 years, they are awesome!

Cats are not at all like dogs - they are a lot more independant and if they don't want to a hug, you won't get one. But she is the best, and I love her to bits.
  • Heather_Rider
    hey everybody. kind of random/OT but i am thinking about getting a cat. i have recently moved out of my parents home, into an apartment. i've always had dogs but i feel like a cat would better fit my lifestyle right now. i would be interested in adopting an adult cat rather than a kitten most likely. any words of wisdom? pros/cons that i should know about?

thanks ( :

in my life time my mom owned a lot of cats (i call her the cat lady)... right now she probably has around 8 cats... but growing up around cats my whole life (being around at least 50 cats / kittens.. lol yeah that many)... my experience is, when acquiring an adult cat they may not be litter trained, so you're taking a chance, also.. they may not be affectionate.. getting an adult cat not knowing if it was stray growing up or whatever is an issue.. so i'd say, if you're going to get one, get a kitten.. and make sure to see if it's friendly first..

50 cats is not having a pet, its a hoarding situation.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Yup, we've had our cat baby for 12 years so my advice is, think long term - as a younger person you might be moving a lot and it's not good for cats. Also, they are expensive - vet bills can be killers and seem to always happen when you're short on money.

You can definitely train cats not to be on tables/ counters. Our cat never ever went to the toilet in the house (one time she was locked in the conservatory, she dug up a pot plant and when in that!) and hasn't clawed things either. That said, my mum's cat is very keen on clawing her sofa and can't seem to be discouraged, so maybe it's a crapshoot.

Still, there's nothing like a loving animal (cat, dog, chinchilla, parakeet, whatever) to keep you company and comfort you when you're down. :smile:
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    I agree with the above poster, shelters are stressful for cats. It does take 2 weeks MIN for cats to adjust. Some cats even longer. Please just be patient with the cat, and he/she will see that. One day the cat that stays hidden under the bed will crawl out and sit on your lap and start purring. :)
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    I would recommend a cat over a dog anyday especially if you live in an apartment. I would recommend two young ones or an older cat that is lap friendly. Go to the local ASPA and look around. Ask questions and tell them what your looking for. As for the guy who said " Don't do it"...ignore him! He doesn't have a clue. Cats do NOT sctratch everything. I have 3cats - 2 have claws and 1 does not. I have always provided a scratching post and they all use it not my leather furniture. Hec the declawed cat can even climb a tree!! they are all very loving and well behaved although I will say the kitten year is like having an unruley teenager in the house. ..LOL

But i can gaurentee you the love you get in return will far OUT WEIGH any negitives! All cats from 3-4 weeks instictively know to use a litter box. If you have a cat that starts using the floor, bed, or rugs it means they are sick and need to go to the vet. Just think they can't talk and say " hey I have a urinary tract infection, diabetes or whatever. All of which they can get.

I have had cats and dogs for the last 40 years... trust me you have a best friend waiting for you at that shelter!! Good luck. :-)
    Colette
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Cats are great.....I have 4 of them.
  • rooster70460
    Oh and I also forgot to say.... if you get a cat and you don't like it for any reason you can take it back and get another one. Its not like your stuck with it forever. I had gotten a dog and it kept jumping the fence and running the neighborhood. I had to bring it back.... but I found another dog that worked out better.

Colette
  • Heather_Rider
    Just wanted to add that female cats DO spray, so dont think that getting a female cat you will be free from this, because you wont be if you dont get them fixed! Just a little FYI! =)
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    I've had cats all my life, quite literally. I have loved them all, and as most everyone in this thread has said, they are not the pissing, destructive nightmares one of the earliest posters have said. They only do that when they are sick or haven't been trained yet. Spay or neuter all of your pets!

I always wanted a dog, though. Like a German Shepherd or even a Jack Russel Terrier. Lo, and behold, my boyfriend's parents had dogs, one large, one small. They are wonderful and fun, but a ton more work than cats. You always must concern yourself about when you are home to let them out, which seems simple but is not.

Dogs and cats both have personalities that might suit your taste, and neither species is better than the other.
  • rooster70460
    This is Bob...he came form a shelter after hurricane Katrina. He is the oldest of our 3 cats and the most laid back cat ever!! I love his goatee!! LOL

2zi5x8k.jpg
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    I agree with the above poster, shelters are stressful for cats. It does take 2 weeks MIN for cats to adjust. Some cats even longer. Please just be patient with the cat, and he/she will see that. One day the cat that stays hidden under the bed will crawl out and sit on your lap and start purring. :)

This is why I suggest younger (not necessarily kitties) foster kitties. They need a home, but haven't been in shelters. (but you're still adopting)
  • Cats are great, and do not require as much care as a dog. You really never have to bathe a cat, you don't have to walk them, they naturally litter train themselves. As far as cats tearing stuff up, get your cat a floor to ceiling cat tree, they are about $30 at Wal-mart, because cats always need to sharpen their claws, and they really put their backs into it when they do it. If they have a sturdy tree to scratch on (you can rub catnip on it to insure they love it and are drawn to it) they will not harm your furniture. If they act like they are going to scratch on your couch, either redirect them to the cat tree, or get a squirt gun and give them a little squirt, this wil distract them from it. I have three cats and they are my best buddies. I love them with all my heart. Two of them are 13, and they still chase after the laser pointer, or a ball rolled across the floor, they play with each other too. The youngest is about 4, and she loves to cuddle. It would be awesome if you adopted an older cat. I don't really understand why people prefer kittens. They are cute and fun, but a little too energetic for my taste. I love an older cat that will curl up in my lap and purr. If a cat is "fixed", spayed or neutered, they will not pee on stuff, and they will be calmer too. I have fixed all my cats because I don't want to bring kittens into the world that I couldn't find homes for, and it is also wise to keep your kitty indoors, they get into all sorts of mischief outside, and there are so many dangers. I had a kitty wander off once and it is awful to wonder what ever happened to her. I hope she found a good home and didn't get killed by a dog or run over by a car. Good luck to you! It sounds to me like you have a good heart and I hope you can give some lucky cat a forever home!
  • If you lived in California, I'd give you one of mine. My advice, only get one.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    We have two cats and two dogs. One of the cats is so bonded with the dogs she thinks she IS a dog. She runs to the front of the house to see who is at the door, rolls on her back for a belly rub, eats and drinks from their dishes etc. We have always had cats because my grandfather used to bring us home strays (he brought them to my mother after my grandmother told him if he brought home any more homeless pets he'd be homeless too).

You should be prepared to scoop the litter box every day. Some cats are fine with a couple times a week but some are really finicky and expect it to be cleaned daily. It is especially important that you thoroughly wash your hands afterwards, especially if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. We got one of our cats from the local pound as a kitten and the other was just shy of 6 months when my grandfather passed away and we took her in. They were both spayed with the cat-mobile which saves you a ton of money. We have a local pet store here that holds low cost vaccinations as well. It came in handy when my mother found a pregnant stray and we had to get the kittens ready for their furever homes. Thank you for looking at an older cat...the rescue or shelter should be able to tell you a little about the potential cats personality. I'd make sure the cat is spayed/neutered and up to date on shots. I prefer indoor cats especially since we have coyotes but also for the well being of the birds in our trees and we've had a cat lose a leg after having it injured while prowling around the neighborhood. It can take a cat a while to get used to a new person and a new location. Be patient, let the cat come to you. I think animals are awesome and they help us relax. Good luck!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    cats are great pets, but today's veterinarians think they should be paid just like people doctors. i had 2 cats get very sick around the same time back in 2006. in the span of 2 weeks, the vets (regular and the emergency weekend center) took me for $7000-$8000 in vet/surgery bills and both cats still died within 2 weeks. it was awful and both cats were miserable while i was desperately and futiley trying to save their lives. thus, i have nothing good to say about veterinarians since... they will nickel and dime you until you finally decide enough is enough. the problem is that cats will eventually get sick and die. unless you're heartless, you're going to want to try to do everything you can for them. that's how vets get their hooks into your wallet and it doesn't stop unless you make the difficult decision to stop funding the madness. if i sound bitter about it, i am.

if you get a cat or dog, be prepared for this when they get older and you have to start worrying about things like kidney disease or cancer or hip problems (dogs).
    Do you expect to be paid for your work? Veterinarians are doctors and aren't in it for the charity work. If you have that much of a problem with them, don't have pets. Wow.

i won't ever have pets again, but if you knew the details and incompetence involved in those $7000-$8000 dollars, you'd understand why i'm bitter. misdiagnoses... incompetence by the emergency care workers which caused brain damage to one of the cats... sleazy vet billing practices... all kinds of tacked on fees for the prescriptions, etc. it was clear to me, and i dealt with 3 different sets of vets, that it was alot more about getting money from me than it was providing compassionate and competent care for these 2 cats.

my warning stands... be prepared for very high vet bills as the cat gets towards old age.
    I am sorry you had a bad experience but you are condemning the whole field of veterinary medicine and I take great exception to that.
  • 1 cat and 1 dog
    on Saturday morning I cleaned up Dog Vomit
    on Sunday morning I cleaned up Cat Vomit

Get a plant.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Don't do it. If they have claws they will tear up the carpet and furniture. If they don't have claws, they will pee on everything. Best case scenario, you get the smartest, most well behaved cat in the world? It still craps in your house.

Apparently some people don't realize that's are incredibly trainable. Perhaps he needs a woman to train him!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member

thanks ( :

I adopted a kitten in June from our local RSPCA and it's the best thing I ever did. Tigger has never not used his littler. The litter these days are amazing. I clean out the poop each day and clean the littler tray about every 3 to 4 weeks. I'm lucky not the have carpet. I have a couple of scratching posts which save my lounge.

Yes, cats do cost a lot but the rewards
    of having Tigger snuggle up to me, pat my cheek to wake me up, make me laugh when I'm feeling down and just having him here when I come home makes it all worth every cent.

I buy Tiggers from either from the RSPCA or my vets. Yes, Iit does cost more then food from the shops but it's so well worth it. His coat his so soft. Tigger is mostly an inside cat this is because I live in a unit. He has mine and my neighbours balcony to wander around. He actually brings home dead plants from my neighbours, which is much better then him bringing home the odd mouse.

This is Tigger
    10115380_3440.jpg
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    5 cats - 1 dog - 3 parrots - 1 snake I like my pets more than I like most people.

mskat-1.jpg

This one is mine. The other 4 have taken over the other members of the household as staff. But this girl..she is mine. She knows me..she gets me..

I have had cats all of my life. They are trainable to do a multitude of things..but unlike a dog however it's on "their terms" because cat's have staff. Dogs have masters. (ps the dog I mentioned above..that's my son's dog..they take residence up in the lower level. I'm not a dog person as much as a cat person.

get a cat as long as you will love it unconditionally...be able to pay vet costs when something arises..and have a lap ready when the cat wants it :)

oh and edited to add..just saw the vet rant. Please don't lump all vets into that category. Just like doctors yes the are gougers ...but we are VERY lucky to have a vet that is not in it for money. He could make a fortune on us alone with our animals not to mention the outside critters we have taken in to him to be checked...and he doesn't. There are very good, reasonable vets out there
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    I grew up with a cat and now I have two of my own. I got them from the humane society--one was 1.5 and the other was 1. They don't scratch anything other than the scratching post. They don't pee on anything except the litter box. They both sleep in my bed with me and cuddle all the time. One of them acts more like a dog, really.

I recommend getting an adult cat--not a kitten. Kittens have tons of energy and bore easily, which can lead to destruction (CAN, not WILL). Adult cats are just as awesome and have more personality, IMO. :)

My cats are now 5 and almost 4. I take them to the vet once a year for check ups (about $50 each). They do shed like crazy, but I've just invested in lint brushes :)
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member

thanks ( :

I have 8 cats, all rescues and they dont pee or poop ANYWHERE other than their little box. They are not declawed (and for heavens sake DO NOT do that to them.. its inhumane) and they dont tear up ANYTHING at all. (other than an occasional roll of toilet paper, a magazine or newspaper... big deal.) They are amazing animals who love unconditional.

They are excellent for smaller areas, and perfect for people who work long hours, as they dont require much attention. Feeding and watering daily, a scoop of the litter box once a day and a little loving and cuddling and some play time once a day and they will love you forever. I think its GREAT you want to adopt an older cat however you ARE less likely to get a cat with "issues" if you get a kitten. Most shelter cats are there because of "issues" or because their owners had to move, or the kid got allergies.. or they had a baby, and a shelter is a VERY STRESSFUL place. Cats do not do well in stress and it wont take but a day or two before the stress makes them do things, like become destructive, and starting to urinate in areas that are unwanted. Just something to think about.

All of my rescues were bottle fed and hand-raised from feral mothers, who we trapped and had spayed and then released so they couldnt produce any more unwanted litters.

Good luck to you!!
    this!!!
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Just one tip on picking a cat. Well, maybe it's the cat picking you, but this is a way to tell. While you are holding and petting the cat, sit quietly with the cat and so lots of stroking and cooing. After a few minutes see if the cat will permit you to move him onto his back, sort of like you would cradle a baby. If the cat permits that, it means it is comfortable with you and trusts you and accepts you as the alpha in the relationship. This works with little kittens too, but is especially good with older cats.

The only caution is that you should never try this as the first thing you do in the encounter. It should be after a while of letting the cat get to know you. And remember, shelter cats have been through a lot of trama. Especially older cats. I personally wouldn't get any cat from a shelter unless they can tell you a bit of the history. I go for the ones who have been turned in because their owner had to move to assisted living or elder care and just couldn't take the cat along. Chances are, the cat is mush older and is used to a quiet environment. If you can get a bit of history and try to make certain the new environment is similar in tone to the old one, older cats can be very adaptable.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    wish i knew how to post pics from my phone....i have some of the best twin sister kitty rescue pics in the world!
  • Love my cats!! I have two... and they are the best. I want more.. but i dont want to actually become a "cat lady" haha