ACL Surgery- how to stay active and still lose weight

Options
HI everyone! I am 2 weeks Post-ACL surgery and having some trouble finding ways to stay active. Before I tore my ACL I was a extremely competitive athlete so never found it hard to get moving. I played soccer 4 times a week, ran the other days, and did as much yoga as possible. All of these things are cut out and all I can do is lift weights but I don't want to bulk up! I am driving myself crazy and need to sweat!!! I am walking almost normally (with one quad atrophied), but I am limited by a conservative protocol.

This time last year I had hit my all time low at 140, but am back up around my starting point at 155! I am in the tough situation of trying to lose it when my life has gone to a much more sedentary life-style.

Any advice on what to do?

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    As someone who just recovered from hip surgery (six weeks post op, still in PT twice a week and still have some quad atrophy), give your body time to heal and focus on getting in clean foods. Pushing yourself too much after surgery can be counterproductive. before you know it you'll be back to full functioning, it's okay, breathe. I panicked when i couldnt exercise but lost weight just watching what I ate and moving as much as I was allowed. Good luck and heal fast!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I was out of work and recovering for 3 1/2 months after having both knees replaced this past Jan/Feb. Yep - the quad atrophy! I'm still working on getting everything back.

Healing takes a lot of energy so you'll be surprised at how much you don't gain. I actually lost about 35 lbs. I did watch what I ate, but I was still eating probably about 1500/day and not exercising beyond making it to the bathroom. The biggest problem for me was to watch the absent-mined eating while I was reading or watching TV so I made sure to have more healthy snacks around.
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I also had my acl done 3 years ago and i had eye surgery 3 weeks ago and gained 12 lbs, i ate though been bored

My advice would be dont do do much as you could wreck your acl surgery just try to not eat as much as once your re hab picks up you will be going to the gym every day building your leg muscles up

So just try not eat a lot and give yourself a long term goal as you may put some weight on on to start with
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I had ACL surgery last Fall. Not fun. Just keep trying to eat as healthy as possible. Diet will be your key right now. You can still do stretches and other basic exercises like that to keep your muscles moving. Usually the PT will let you ride a bike sooner than anything so as soon as you get ok'd, hit the bike!

Good luck!
  • FitTchr
    Options
    HI everyone! I am 2 weeks Post-ACL surgery and having some trouble finding ways to stay active. Before I tore my ACL I was a extremely competitive athlete so never found it hard to get moving. I played soccer 4 times a week, ran the other days, and did as much yoga as possible. All of these things are cut out and all I can do is lift weights but I don't want to bulk up! I am driving myself crazy and need to sweat!!! I am walking almost normally (with one quad atrophied), but I am limited by a conservative protocol.

This time last year I had hit my all time low at 140, but am back up around my starting point at 155! I am in the tough situation of trying to lose it when my life has gone to a much more sedentary life-style.

Any advice on what to do?

Water aerobics made the difference for me after my ACL surgery! I didn't gain a pound, but instead, i actually lost about 5! I did get anxious to start running and playing sports again..but it kept me toned until I was fully recovered! Sending you best wishes on your recovery!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Although I have no experience in your dilemma, my heart goes out to you! I know it is mentally challenging to forgo exercises you loved.

Just stay the course of recovering....something is bound to happen AND do remember that weight loss is 80% diet....so, only put real, natural, healthy foods in your mouth, and do some research on new ways of health and weight loss. Get rid of conventional wisdom.....

They say there is a "silver lining" beyond the dark clouds, and I know you can find it!

:flowerforyou:
  • briehill
    Options
    I'd suggest swimming. I've never had ACL surgery so not sure what you're allowed but I'd think you could swim even if you're not allowed to kick (or at least don't use the bad leg). If you do it right it's a great workout even without kicking!
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about bulking up. You're a lady, so unless you're eating thousands of calories and lifting like the Hulk, you don't need to worry about it. I would say focus on your core, back, and shoulders.

I tore my ACL, but opted out of the surgery. Rowing is a good cardio exercise to do while you recover. You can still do things like Pilates, and the kinds of yoga exercises that strengthen your core. Once you're okay to move on your knee, I would start back with riding a stationary/spinning bike. That seemed to irritate my knee the least. You can pretty much forget about running and eliptical machines, so weights, walking (uphill) and yoga/pilates are really going to be your focus from now on unless you want to re-injure, which is very easy to do now.
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    BTW you will be able to play sport again i had my acl done in my right knee 12 years ago and my left knee i had my acl and plc done and i play rubgy still
  • harrietigglesden
    Options
    I've recently had knee surgery and after having surgery November 22nd 2013, as of today (21/12/13) I am 3 weeks into my diet (the 5:2 fast diet) and have started losing a healthy amount of weight. I have changed my attitude towards food. I started my diet on 3/12/13 and weighed in at 168lbs.

It's my third weigh in tomorrow and this morning I was 158lbs. Hoping tomorrow I will be 156/157lbs. My target is 130lbs (ish) by my birthday (February 23rd). I'm 5'9 so I feel like this will be a very slim and fitting weight for me. Any advice?
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Not nearly the same, but I injured my foot pretty bad in august n couldn't run for like 10 weeks
    I continued doing lifting n did modified cardio. I did 1 legged burpies, 1 legged bear crawls, 1 legged jump rope, if I favored on my left I could stand fine so I did some boxing for cardio too. When I was able to return to running I hadn't lost much of my endurance and I was able to continue losing weight during that time.