Getting tired of logging

I'm reaching out for advice/support. I meticulously logged my food and exercise for 7 month and lost 80 lbs. I since gave birth and I'm back in the MFP saddle but I'm getting tired of logging everything. Is it just a phase? Should I stop tracking for a bit and see if I can continue the weight loss on my own?

Replies

• 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    I find that logging keeps me accountable on many fronts, not just weight but what types of food I am eating. For example I have a friend with high cholesterol, she is a healthy weight but this tool helps her track cholesterol and saturated fat. For me I can make sure I am staying on a whole food diet and staying in my macros and most important it keeps me accountable. You have lost over 80 pounds and had a baby, that is a lot going on in your life but from my past experience of losing and gaining weight, better to make the time to log now than finding yourself heavier at another time, Do it for you and your family!!
  • logging keeps me motivated good or bad days
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    If I stop logging, I gain weight. EVERY time.
  • i'm horrible today, haven't logged anything i ate except my cup of coffee that i had this morning. I tend to allow myself one day during the weekend to indulge in stuff.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    I took a little over a week off recently and had a family vacation. I also gained 10 pounds. I blame this on NOT logging and my inability to track what I've really eaten each day. I vote you stick it out. Good luck!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    I agree - it is the very act of actually seeing what i have consumed during the day that keeps me going. I lose track of what I eat and then I end up gaining weight. I also make sure I am logging my exercise - that also makes me accountable to my goal of 4-5 times a week.

Do I get tired of thinking of logging, what I have had for the day, how much, what exercise? YUP - very much so. But I will log in at the end of the day and spend a couple of mins and then I get offline sometimes and go to bed. But just keeping a mental list - i eat way more than I should to maintain a weight loss. Then seeing all my MFP friends comments and stories and keeping up with them help so much.

And congrats on the 80 pounds and your baby. That is an achievment!

:bigsmile:
  • If I stop logging, I gain weight. EVERY time.
    THIS forever. I've had it proven to me several times that I have a horrible memory when it comes to food. Let's face it, we all have to do things we don't particularly enjoy, and this one is REALLY IMPORTANT, so why not just keep at it?
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Logging is what keeps me honest. If I don't log then I might start sneaking this here and there and before I know it I'm doing God know's what with my diet. I know it can be a pain at times, but for some of us, it's a necessity. Do what's best for you though.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    I get tired of it sometimes, but know if I don't I will easily go overboard. It takes less time to log what I'm eating than it does to argue with myself about why I shouldn't have to. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • MidWestMissy
    MidWestMissy Posts: 32 Member
    My experience is what others are mentioning. I got tired of logging so the past 2 weeks I didn't, I gained a little, lost some of it, I will not be taking another logging break until I hit my goal and we go on our family vacation next year.

I hear ya. The logging gets tiresome.

Good Luck!!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    I'm noticing that I'm having to nag myself to log...and then I forgot a whole snack which led me to the elliptical machine for a quick 100 calorie burn.

The logging helps to keep you on your path and holds you accountable. You will get past this.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    If I stop logging, I gain weight. EVERY time.

This. Again... and again. This is my third time around this mountain. If MFP is my food equivalent of AA, I'd rather spend a few minutes every day and have a lifetime of health than continue on this yo-yo pattern.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    I feel your pain. I'm over logging every day but whenever I take a week or 2 off I put on weight. Annoys the heck out of me :|
  • i gain every time i stop logging in as well.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    I've only been doing this for four months, but have found the tracking SO helpful. I think a big reason I got into this mess was that I ate mindlessly. If it looked or sounded or smelled good, I ate it without thinking about how much I had eaten that day or would eat that day....and those calories add up fast! I didn't track in the past because writing it all down and looking up calories, etc, was time consuming and hard. But using the MFP app on my phone is what really makes this work for me. I put stuff in immediately before or after I eat it. When I get close to my calorie limit I know I'm done for the day no matter what - and I can see if I need to save up calories if I'm going out or whatever. I've been overweight a LONG time, and religiously tracking is absolutely the key to being able to lose this time. Stick with it!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    There doesn't seem to be any harm is stopping logging for a week. If you think you can go it alone. Give it a shot, if you continue to lose weight you don't need to log. If you put on weight then you might need to keep logging. Can't hurt to have a try and either way the week off might be what you need. Just keep tracking (weight, measurements) so you can stop yourself from gaining back too much of the your hard-earned weight loss.