subway flat bread... healthy or junk ?

Options
I always try to get the flat bread so I'm not filling up on, well BREAD.
The flat bread is equal to whatever I order and it keeps me full.

Replies

• mancheethebanshee
    mancheethebanshee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would go with the 9-Grain wheat instead of the flatbread... it has a few more carbs, but it has less fat, less sodium, more fiber, more calcium, and less calories.

Source: Subway website nutritional info
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Subway bread (of any type) is just like any other food - fine in moderation. If it fits in your daily goals, the sodium has no adverse affect on you, and you enjoy it, then have it when you want.
  • Kealihc
    Options
    I LOVE the flatbread, its not the healthiest but its far from the worst!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I usually get the 6" flatbread because the regular bread seems like you're just eating a whole lot of bread. I can usually get the guy to add extra lettuce and toppings too!
  • It's just like white bread...but with more fat. Wonder how it tastes so good and tender? I'd switch to wheat if you insist on eating bread.

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/files/nutritionvalues.pdf
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to be healthier, I'd go with the wheat bread because it has 4g of fiber and it's more filling, but if you like the flat bread, go for it! I truly believe in "everything in moderation" and if you eat what you like and stay within your calorie goals, you're going to be successful. I lost 10 lbs. last summer and had Starbucks mochas, McDonalds, Chinese- anything I wanted really- just not too much of anything. I did myfitnesspal and my brother did Atkins- guess who lost more weight and kept it off for over 2 years??
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Junk, but it is all junk at Subway.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    According to Subway the Flatbread is 20 calories worse than white ... But surprisingly white bread is the best option calorie wises. Better than wheat and 9 grain

Flatbread --> 220 Cal 4.5 Fat
    9 Grain Wheat --> 210. Cal. 2.0 Fat
    White --> 200 Cal. 2.0 Fat
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like the 9 grain personally, extra fiber... I haven't tried the flatbread though!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Junk, but it is all junk at Subway.

why? Curious.
  • MsTT80
    MsTT80 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread....white is better cal wise than brown/wholewheat......but eat what you like within moderation. I try limit bread to once per day (breakfast normally as more time to use the carbs).
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    All bread is just overprocess grains and junk. White is absolutely the worst because it has been bleached.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I eat Subway now and then, its not that bad for you, a little high in sodium, but overall not too bad compared to other foods you might grab on the run like McDonalds or Wendys, etc. If it fits into your goals for the day then I dont see any reason to avoid it.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I eat Subway now and then, its not that bad for you, a little high in sodium, but overall not too bad compared to other foods you might grab on the run like McDonalds or Wendys, etc. If it fits into your goals for the day then I dont see any reason to avoid it.

That is interesting. I can eat a more balanced meal at both McDonalds and Wendy's compared to subway. I don't see why people think subway is so much healthier. Sure I could get a veggie sub, but then I would be hungry soon after.