My energy level is in the gutter

Options
So I have been trying to lose 10lbs. My calorie goal is 1350 for the day, and I allow myself to eat ALL of my exercise calories back.

I usually hit the 1350, but lately though I have been pretty bad about it. I go over some days and then compensate by being severely under the other days. (I am making my diary public so people can see what I am talking about).

this is new, usually I am pretty good about my calories and trying to be healthy.

Disregarding this past week, I am wondering what I should be doing to have more energy. I am an accountant and starting January I will be very very very busy. I cannot focus if after 12 hours of sleep, I am still dying when I get out of bed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Ive just had a quick look through. I think on a lot of the days you are eating far too few calories, especially when you are doing exercise as well. This in itself will leave you feeling very tired.

Also, as you said you over compensate on days when you have not had much the day before, but you are eating stuff like pizza, ice cream etc. Obviously in moderation this can be okay(ish), but it does nothing for the energy levels.

I think you need to try and have a more structured diet and definitely up your cals if you are going to be exercising. You should try and have healthier snacks to prevent that energy drop. Maybe just have the pizza etc as an occasional treat. I know its hard, weekends & social gatherings are my downfall! :)

Maybe you need to be more organised with food shopping, making lunches for work etc?

Feel free to add me if you want some support, I do low carb, around 1200 a day. x
  • mkzara
    mkzara Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Ive just had a quick look through. I think on a lot of the days you are eating far too few calories, especially when you are doing exercise as well. This in itself will leave you feeling very tired.

Also, as you said you over compensate on days when you have not had much the day before, but you are eating stuff like pizza, ice cream etc. Obviously in moderation this can be okay(ish), but it does nothing for the energy levels.

I think you need to try and have a more structured diet and definitely up your cals if you are going to be exercising. You should try and have healthier snacks to prevent that energy drop. Maybe just have the pizza etc as an occasional treat. I know its hard, weekends & social gatherings are my downfall! :)

Maybe you need to be more organised with food shopping, making lunches for work etc?

Feel free to add me if you want some support, I do low carb, around 1200 a day. x

Thanks for the response. I think I have been so focused on the calorie goals that I have paid little to no attention to the energy goals.

I need to figure out a way to get more energy filled foods in my diet and not feel like I am depriving myself.

I want this to be a lifestyle not a diet, but sleeping 12 hours cannot be a lifestyle.
  • agamy4
    agamy4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should go get your thyroid levels checked out.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks for the response. I think I have been so focused on the calorie goals that I have paid little to no attention to the energy goals.

I need to figure out a way to get more energy filled foods in my diet and not feel like I am depriving myself.

I want this to be a lifestyle not a diet, but sleeping 12 hours cannot be a lifestyle.

You're right. And you have to think of food as fuel rather than food. I recently went through the same thing myself and with over training in my workouts I was getting sick all of the time, as well! Feel free to friend me so you can see my diary to get some ideas.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So, you usually eat more and feel fine. Now, you're barely eating and you don't feel well.

Solution - go back to eating more.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with thyroid levels - you are severely undereating on most days - and eating too much pizza and ice cream on the others won't give your body the nourisment it needs....
    Eat more - if you only have 10lbs to lose you do not have to try and live on 900 cals a day.....
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You need more fresh fruit and veggies. You should also track your sodium.
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Heya,
    I had a similar problem as well, last month. I would wake up feeling incredibly dizzy, and have heaps of dizzy spells during the day, couldn't concentrate and felt generally weak and unfocussed. I was exercising, and not really eating back my exercise calories. My goal was at 1350, and I went over some days and on other days netted less than 1200. On the days that I went over, it wasn't from good food, and not all of my calories were 'good calories' - ie baking, alcohol etc. Not all of the time, but a lot of the time. And what did I get from not eating enough, exercising a heck of a lot, and feeling dizzy and sick for a month? ZERO pounds lost! And with a higher calorie goal and eating back most of my exercise calories the previous month, I lost 5 lbs.

So here's the advice I'll give you, based on your food diary. Eat. Start the day with a good breakfast like oatmeal and some milk. Have fruit for snacks, and you already eat nuts which are great. Grainy bread with ham or turkey, hummus and some lettuce and grated carrot, if you have time, is great for lunch and you can make a few sandwiches in advance to save time. (Ie - avoid take out!) Check out websites like Healthy Food Guide - http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/ - for great recipes for dinner. I know it's NZ but the ingredients you can get everywhere, and they have great ideas for quick, easy meals too. It's my bible! And they also show how many calories are in each of the recipes. Yogurt, eggs and milk are you friends. But most of all, try NEVER to net below 1200 cals. You'll feel better for it, and your body will thank you for it. Good luck!
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I read a very interesting article the other day. It talked about winter time approaching and how this is when people tend to not eat as well, not take care of themselves and overall energy levels drop. I think it made some good points. If energy is low then it's time to refocus on "us" and eat well, get enough sunlight if possible and rest. Take a good multivitamin if needed and eat to give your body energy. We all love ice cream I mean who doesn't :) but use snacks wisely and get the most of your calories from good carbs and good protein. Try (biggie for me too) to limit white flour and white sugar.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think you get too many of your calories from foods that do not give good nutrition. 1 spooon-full of honey in the morning won't do much for your energy. Perhaps spread it on a nice whole grain bread along with a little nut butter or stir it into oatmeal to get a better start on your nutrition for the day. I agree that you need more fruits and vegetables also.

Good luck!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with thyroid levels - you are severely undereating on most days - and eating too much pizza and ice cream on the others won't give your body the nourisment it needs....
    Eat more - if you only have 10lbs to lose you do not have to try and live on 900 cals a day.....
    +1
  • ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I noticed the protein levels in your diet are very low. Without enough protein you will not have much energy. Try to make yourself eat a can of tuna in water (5oz) at some point during the day, or even for breakfast with lemon. Your body converts foods and uses them in the following order: sugars, then carbs, then proteins. This is the order in which the sugars from each will hit your bloodstream. Without proteins the bottom falls out of your energy level. They provide the longest lasting energy. If you exercise, you will notice a lack of stamina and a weak feeling. If you are stationary(at work, etc.) you will most likely feel groggy.
    There are lots of high protein/low calorie cheeses, eggs, fish, etc. to choose from.
    As far as the sugar, you appear to also be on a sugar rollercoaster. Sometimes around 3:00 pm the lack of energy is unbearable and I must have something sweet. So I'll have a piece of cake or ice cream or choco bar. Other than that, I try not to because that
    sugar will take you up, for sure, but then it will take you way down! Hope this helps!!:smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Try eating some protein with each meal. I'd raise the calorie goal a little. If you're going over a lot that's probably your body trying to tell you something. Focus for awhile on getting as many nutrient dense foods as possible, with just the occasional treat. Try that for a week or so-- if you still are exhausted after 12 hours of sleep see your doctor. Non-restorative sleep is a symptom of some medical conditions such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. But it's a lot more likely that you just aren't getting enough nutrients.
  • mkzara
    mkzara Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I am trying to increase my protein intake. I will be trying to get more fish, chicken, turkey, eggs and tofu in my diet.

I am also going to try and actually hit my calorie goals. I think the past week or 2 have been just wrong for my diet.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the time you have to tweak your diet to work out what suits you and how much you need to eat to feel satisfied.
    During the week I sit at my desk all day and dont move around much so I eat to reflect this, during the weekend when I am more active I up my cals. The same goes for when I exercise (Ive had a heap of injuries so Im not doing anything at the moment).
    Simple things like drinking lots of water, upping the protein (to do this I have a low fat soy protein shake in the morning or chicken, fish etc for dinner), making healthy delicious lunches for work along with delicious snacks all help.
    I find even when Im eating healthy, if its food I enjoy the urge to binge just isnt there, or the longer you stick at it the smaller the urge is. Then you can allow yourself some treats at the weekend - everything in moderation :)