Gym vs. Treadmill

Options
If you had $500 would you join a gym for 1 year or buy a treadmill for your home? (the treadmill is on sale).

Replies

• RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I personally find it easier to have the treadmill. I don't have a lot of time to go to gym cause I work 10 hour days and have a husband and kid I have to take care of too so it's just easier to stay home and do my work outs.
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    From experience, the personal equipment tends to accumulate dust at home. So much easier to be a couch potato than to jump on the treadmill. However, there is a gym at my workplace so i have no excuse, i go on my lunch break or after work.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Treadmill - you can do a lot with a treadmill and you can buy weight cheaply. I don't find that in a gym I really only ever use the treadmill and sometimes and elliptical and I rarely use all those weight and machines. Plus today most gyms charge extra or dont include (if they even have) classes like zuma and yoga. And a treadmill will last longer than one year

How about you?
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If I had a house,
    I'd buy a treadmill and/or elliptical
    Then buy strength training equipment on craigslist -- adjustable dumbells, bar/weights bench, rack, etc.

I'd only sign up for a gym if it were really close to my home cause I don't think I'd go if it was too much effort. Whereas with the treadmill, if you can throw a tv in front of it you can watch a movie/show/Netflix with no commuting time.
    Or I'd sign up for the gym if you're into using the classes. If you're not, then I'd rather spend the money slowly building out the home gym -- it shouldn't cost a lot to have everything you need since you can wait for craigslist deals and negotiate.

There was a Sole treadmill on amazon for 500 a few days ago. not sure if its still on sale / that's the one you're talking about -- that was a great deal
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym type person.
    I want to exercise on my own with no feelings that others are watching or that I have to speak to anyone.
    So I have a treadmill at home that doesn't collect dust, it gets used.
    Plus I can use it whenever I want, at a moments notice, no need to walk or drive to a gym.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Join a gym....I can't change the shape of my body with a treadmill.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Can't say for sure w/out more details, but hard to get quality treadmill for $500, unless someone is letting go of a commercial one (but then you have to make sure you have power capacity in your home).
  • baker150
    baker150 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I paid $60 a month for 6 years for a gym membership... I went maybe 1 years worth, throughout the 6 years. I bussed there and back and it was just terrible. The machines were always taken, it was always so busy and crowded. Then in the winter, the commute time was even longer because the busses here suck and are always late. Anyways, I finally quit the gym this year, then brought my sisters treadmil from her room to the basement and I have used it 5-6 times a week for the last 6 months! :)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Gym because I cant lift a treadmill.
    I also cant swim in a treadmill.........
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I already spend money on my Y membership which I use about 6 days a week. Can I spend the hypothetical money on personal training sessions? I wish I could afford that but I'm not working at the moment so $180 for 4 sessions is way outta budget.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    the gym
  • infpeace
    Options
    Which do you think you would keep up with best? The gym is not as convenient, but it's good for accountability, particularly if you work with a trainer or even just see the "same crowd" each day. The treadmill is more convenient, but many people have trouble with motivation and the treadmill often just ends up sitting in a corner, collecting dust. Do you prefer to get out of the house for exercise, being around others who are exercising and can inspire you? Would you rather just stay home and save the gas money?

I had a gym membership for years, then ended mine when I got a treadmill a few years ago. I don't use the treadmill much during the warmer months because I like to run outside, but it's wonderful when it's too cold and/or rainy to run. The one thing I really missed from the gym, though, was the ability to work on toning and muscle-building, particularly for my upper body.

Another gym membership was too expensive, so I ended up getting a home exercise program by the makers of P90X to use in conjunction with the treadmill. I've been really happy with the home program, and it's turned out to be MUCH less expensive than a health club.

Good luck!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    A qualiy Tredmill that will last costs way more than $500 so with that as the options, i would opt for the gym. If i had a decent gym within 30 miles of my house that is what i would do.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Gym or Squat Rack/Power cage is a better question.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. I personally would buy the treadmill because I could still tone using weights and ab workouts at home as well. However, I also work in a physical therapy gym where I have access to weight machines so the only thing I would need at home would be a treadmill as I'm trying to build my endurance. Hence, if your goal is to build endurance and begin running go with the treadmill. If your goal is to get the all around experience including cardio and weights and you don't have any more equipment at home, go with the gym.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I would have to say Gym!! Especially if it's a good size gym that probably has endless things that you can do. I have tried it the other way and barely use the cheap treadmill and the expensive weight machines that I have in my basement.
  • infpeace
    Options
    One other thing to consider: $500 won't necessarily buy a quality treadmill. We spent $650 on ours, and it was the least expensive one we could find that we thought would meet our needs.
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Treadmill :smile: I bought a treadmill 4 years ago and the only time it ever collects dust is from May to October, when I run outside instead. I got mine on sale, 1/2 price, for just over $1000 and it's been one of the best investments I have made. I've probably used it on average 5 times a week during the colder months. And if I feel like running at 1 am, I can! It doesn't matter what I wear and there is no one to judge me (other than my family members maybe lol) I can also watch whatever I want to on tv or a movie :smile:
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The treadmill. I use mine every day in addition to free weights, exercise bands, etc. I belonged to a gym for ten years and the fees kept going up, along with the price of gas to get there. It was far more economical to buy a treadmill and work out at home. Every once in awhile I'll buy a day pass for the gym to go use the machines and relax in the sauna, but I like having everything I need at home.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    gym. i can always walk and run outdoors for free. plus with a gym i get all the other stuff like weight, pool and hot tub