my polar hrm not working :(

Options
Anyone have any trouble with the Polar F4? Only had it about 6 months and now it's not working. Keeps telling me to check transmitter. I have washed the strap twice now and still won't work, surely not needing new batterys already?

Anyone anyone?

Replies

• chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    anyone anyone?
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Ahh, I don't know! I just got one today.

I hope this doesn't happen.

Have you checked their website for this kind of thing?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Make sure the strap is tight enough. Maybe rinse the electrodes on the strap with distilled water.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Check to make sure the transmitter is snapped onto the strap well. Sometimes the snaps can get corroded stuff in them and connection can get sketchy. Try cleaning the snaps with alcohol and qtip on strap and transmitter.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have a FT7 & it does that if the transmitter isn't flat against my chest or if the strap isn't wet enough. Good luck.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I bet its the batteries,

O, and also if the strap is on TOO tight it will do that.
  • gogzhad
    gogzhad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of different Polar HRM's and usually if it wasn't working, it was either the strap battery or the watch/computer battery. I haven't had your exact model, though.

Six months sounds short for battery life to me. The computer battery on my bike computer usually lasted a year (or even two); seems like the strap batteries didn't last as long - and that was using it two to three times a week at most. More frequent use will, of course, reduce battery life.

I'd try replacing the strap battery if you haven't already. If your strap is the kind with the transmitter module that snaps and unsnaps, make sure it's oriented correctly on the chest strap (mine only goes one way, though I think if one were to try hard enough, it could be forced the wrong way).
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    check the batteries I had to change mine at 6 months, you should be able to buy them fairly cheap
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    That happened to my FT7. Tried everything, couldn't fix it. I've given up on using a heart rate monitor, which hasn't made a difference in my results since I used it long enough to get a good idea of what I burn.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Great thanks will try to tighten tonight and if not then will try and replace batteries. I though the battery would last longer than 6 months as only use it 2-3 times per week.

It's hard to go back to working out without it.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I've had an FT4 for over a year and it's recently been doing that to me too. I usually just adjust the strap because it isn't lying flat on my skin and it's fine.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I don't have the same HRM, but I do have a polar. At the 6 month mark mine did the same thing. Never thinking I needed new batteries. When I finally decided to just change the batteries as a cheap fix ... guess what it was the batteries. Or it could have been one, but I didn't bother to change just one.
  • ixa73
    ixa73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my HRM registers my pulse intermittently, I discovered that making the contacts damp gives it better connection with the skin.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my HRM registers my pulse intermittently, I discovered that making the contacts damp gives it better connection with the skin.

You're supposed to make the contacts damp.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    When you store your strap away you are supposed to unsnap the controlller bit and store that and the strap separate. Otherwise the batter y drains quicker. Thats what happened to mine anyway (didn't read the instructions doh!)
  • Hungrygirl88
    Options
    I have no advice, I was just curious. Would investing in one be worth it?
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've had this a couple of times. Clean the electrodes and strap. Separate and clean the transmitter and strap when not in use as it drains the battery. Wet the strap and electrodes before use. Make sure it is snug but not too tight and flat against your chest and not moved around by your sports bra. If it is still playing up, change the battery in the transmitter; it might seem like it has a short life, but if you are using it a lot, it will discharge!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It doesn't last forever. It will wear out after a while. According to Polar, 1-2 years if you take good care of it. I had issues with my 1st strap. I was a moron and when I washed it in the machine one time. I placed it in a load with bleach and it stopped working. I've been careful since. The battery is another potential problem. I got erratic readings after nearly 2 years with my Polar FT40. I replaced the battery and it went away. In that case though, it actually told me the battery was low.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yep, mine was the same after about 8 months, sent it back to Polar, who 'fixed it'....it worked for a week then did the same thing again. I sent it back to Polar who 'fixed it' again and sent me a new strap, it doesn't work. I've also seen other friends have the same experience so Polar isn't all that it's hyped up to be. I'm very disappointed and now back to guesstimating calories burnt via mfp.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Mine started doing that about 1 month after getting my FT4.... washed every day, air dried & brand new. Would sit perfectly on me.... yet would CONSTANTLY do it.... right in the middle of a workout. Would take me 30 mins to get it working again.

So I got a FT60.....1 month later it started doing it as well.... washed daily, air dried & sits flat against me. It can mare me as dead for up to 10 mins.... that's annoying as **** when you are running & have to stop & actually PAUSE it to get it working again.

So nothing to do with battery, it only gets used 1 hr a day & after 30 days I'd be surprised if the battery was dead.

I'd rather not have one at all with the way it plays up. Next one I'm getting will NOT be a Polar.