How to Boost Your Metabolism

Options
Okay I thought it might be useful to have a list of ways to boost your metabolism. So below I have listed off things I've heard you can do to boost your metabolism from books, tv, and etc. Please add what you have heard about to the list! I think this is good to know when trying to loose weight, even if you can't do them all.

- Adding spicy foods to your breakfast. (example: adding hot sauce to your scrambled eggs)
- 15 minutes of exercise first thing in the morning before breakfast.
- A breakfast of at least 300 calories.
- Drinking 8 glasses a water a day.
- Eating light snacks between meals as it keeps your metabolism busy instead of letting it slow down.
- Drink cold water instead of room temperature water. It makes you body work harder to warm it up and boosts your metabolism doing so.

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I do everything here except hot food for breakfast. I also work out for 40-60 minutes in the morning. My breakfast is around 500 cals. Its help me lots! I am way more active now. I cant stop moving around. I wake up at 4:30 and fall asleep around 10:30. Dont know if thats bad but I have no problems.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'm happy to report that I do ALL of those things on a daily basis, well except the spicy food because I get heartburn from it :tongue:
  • rleath
    rleath Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm always looking for helpful tips. There are a few I already do, but definitely some I need to add to my daily routine!
  • chefcc
    chefcc Posts: 143
    Options
    train with weights

eat smaller meals more often- breakfast being the most important meal of the day, include plenty of protein and carbs in your breakfast....eat lots of fruits and yogurt as these foods help increase metabolism rates

get plenty of vitamin B

get Magnesium-Metabolism boosting foods rich in magnesium are green vegetables, cashew nuts, almonds, soybean, whole grain cereals and oatmeal

get your adequate 8 hours of sleep a night (good luck with this one:bigsmile: )
  • irismoon
    irismoon Posts: 83
    Options
    Some new ones I've found recently.

- Drink Green Tea. Studies show it boosts metabolism.
    - Rid your body of toxins. Toxins slow down your metabolism so doing detox helps your metabolism.
    - Eat more fiber.
    - Add cardio exercise to your workouts. Cardio boost your whole system including your metabolism.
    - Eating healthy fats. Healthy fats are needed for cell repair and other funtions that use energy from your body. The better your body is able to do these funtions the more calories it will burn in the process.
    - Getting your daily vitamins and minerals. These are needed for proper cell funtion and repair, so it works like the healthy fats do to increase your metabolism.
  • rikrok
    rikrok Posts: 5
    Options
    A few others that are easier said than done:

- Reduce caffeine intake and add to your water intake if you do have caffeine.
    - Reduce stress - when you are successful at this let me know your secret :wink:
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Reduce stress? haha! That's a good one. Let me know too if you find a way!
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Stress? Whats that?
  • irismoon
    irismoon Posts: 83
    Options
    I'd like to find a way to get rid of stress. Is there even anyone who isn't stressed?

Anyways, I forgot to add a couple to the list.

- Taking a hot shower in the morning gets your body all started up helping your metabolism fire up.
    - Getting your daily amount of fiber. If you don't get the correct about of fiber and switch to getting at least 20g a day you will loose about 10 lbs in a year.