Ran my 1st mile on TM w/out stopping.

Options
I was finally able to run my first mile today on the treadmill without stopping. I have never been able to jog for more than about 3-5 minutes at a time without quitting. I know that running outside is a lot harder. Just wondering how long it will take me to be able to run a mile outside. It's really cold where I live and I can't tolerate the cold. I want to be able to run outside on the road. Now mind you my pace is slow probably very slow. My next goal at the gym is to bump up the speed but I figured one small step at a time.

Replies

• nicsalt
    nicsalt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Woot-woot! Go you! Revel in the small victories. :happy:
  • JudySwims
    JudySwims Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Nice!!!
  • dmh0204
    Options
    WOW! Great!

I actually find running outside a lot easier, because you can adjust your pace without a lot of button pushing. If you are getting tired, you slow down until you catch your breath. If you've got a really great song on, you can rock out and sprint for a block or two. But the treadmill is good for dreary winter months. I don't know how cold it is where you are, but you can get some great cold weather running gear and stay plenty warm and jog outside. I personally find the treadmill mind-numbingly boring, so I avoid it whenever I can. But if it works for you, that's great!

Sorry to ramble on your NSV. Great job! Keep at it, and whenever it gets warmer, you'll probably be running a few miles at a time outside.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    That's an NSV that will lead to many others.

Great job.
  • Kealihc
    Options
    First of all, AWESOME job! I just started being able to run a full mile as well, but I as ways do it outside. I'm just making an assumption, but I would think a mile would go by faster outside, with all the distractions and what not! It takes me about 15 mins and I am SUPER slow as well lol. As far as the cold goes...its very cold where I am too, and I think it makes me all the more energetic! Its fantastic! But good luck to you!
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I plan on running my 1st mile without stopping tonight!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Try the C25K program. Just jump in a few weeks in and go from there. It's as much about learning to cover the distance as it is about running.
  • jekissa729
    Options
    That's awesome!! Way to go! Once you do run outside, you probably won't be able to get back on the dreadmill! At least, that's what I have found.
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the encouragement. I may try to run outside in the morning because I am off work tomorrow. We shall see how it goes. I am just kinda scared because several people have told me the treadmill makes it so much easier. Maybe they are just sabatogers:) My shins are a little sore tonight but not bad. Keep up the good work everyone and good luck on running your first mile tonight. You can do it!!!
  • illyire106
    illyire106 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yay! Great job. I started back in february and could just run a mile without stopping. Now all these months later I can run 5 miles wihout stopping on my best days! It definitely took longer than I thought it would to get my endurance up, but it happens so keep at it! I finally understand what my runner friends were talking about. I actually enjoy going out to run a few miles these days.

Running outside is a little harder for a few reasons: there are minor changes in elevation and you are setting your pace, rather than the treadmill setting your pace. Some running guides I read suggest putting the treadmill elevation at 1.0 to more closely resemble outside running. I definitely walk/run a little more when I am outside than on the treadmill, but some days it's nice to be outside.

GREAT JOB! Stick with it :)
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first run a mile on the tread mill. It wasn't that long ago. It's a big deal. So well done! I used to hate running mostly because I couldn't do it. I've run 2 5k's since then. Some people say outside running is harder. I think paved trail running is easier. Dirt trail is different.

Edit: noticed the post above me recommended 1% incline on the tread mill. I do all my tread mill at 1% because when I started on the treadmill I was told that was closer to outside running and that was what I wanted to do.
  • dbh3425
    dbh3425 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm a beginning runner too and am running my first 5K next Sunday. I'm hoping to finish within 45 minutes, as I haven't trained much and I'm keeping a friend company. She's been exercising less, so I don't know what to expect as far as pacing and finishing.

Be proud of yourself - a mile is a HUGE accomplishment! :smile: :flowerforyou: