Healthy and Simple Chicken/Turkey Recipes

Options
MDChin
MDChin Posts: 19 Member
I tend to eat a lot of these two meats, however eating similar meals constantly can get boring. Can anyone recommend a simple, quick and healthy way of cooking them, or maybe a recipe you follow yourselves?

Thanks

Replies

• Eavie0513
    Eavie0513 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So, here is what I am making tonight. I will use the turkey for protein on my salads for the next few days.

I made a brine using Apple Cider, 4 tbs of Kosher Salt, 4 tbs of brown sugar a big handful of fresh Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme... and yes I know that's a song, I'm just trying to use all of my fresh herbs before the winter really sets in. Black Pepper, Herbs de Provance and some red pepper flakes. I used a quart of cider and then used water to finish covering the bone-in turkey breast in a 2 gallon freezer bag. I'm going to put it on the indirect heat side of my grill and soak some applewood chips in the leftover brine and throw the wet herbs in with it, and put them on the other side of the grill and hot smoke the turkey breast.

For the side, I'm going to make a roasted sweet potato salad that has black beans, red bell pepper, some lime, jalepeno and cilantro dressing.
  • an8e
    an8e Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    chicken breast
    flour
    jar of napoli sauce (ie; tomato-based pasta sauce)
    sliced olives
    fresh rosemary.

Place chicken in a pan on low heat while the oven preheats to about 160c.
    Mix olives and fresh rosemary sprigs into sauce.
    Place chicken in a small casserole dish and cover with sauce mixture. Bake for 30 mins.

Serve with a side of mashed sweet potato...
  • an8e
    an8e Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    :smile: whoops-- lightly cover the chicken in flour before putting in pan!
  • MDChin
    MDChin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, will be trying them once I get the ingredients =]
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    EAsy Crock chicken

3 chicken breasts
    4 tsps dale's steak seasoning (this is a marinade that is big in the South, you may or may not have this at your grocery store)
    1/4 cup bbq sauce
    1 T brown sugar
    1 tsp fajita seasoning
    1 tsp cumin

cook on high for 5 hours. Shred. It's good on sandwiches, burritos, on top of a baked potato, add in to pasta, chicken soup, as a side to be beans and rice, etc
  • Ashsmith07
    Ashsmith07 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would love the recipe for that sweet potato salad! It sounds delicious!
  • Ashsmith07
    Ashsmith07 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A few of our favorite light recipes:

Taco salad made with extra lean ground turkey, black beans, salsa, diced peppers and onions, lots of lettuce, reduced fat or fat free cheddar cheese, and fat free sour cream. If diet allows, toast a light whole wheat tortilla in the oven until crisp and load the rest of the salad on top of it.

Chicken stir fry: chicken, whole grain brown rice, stir fry sauce, and stir fry vegetables. Fresh veggies are better but frozen works, too, and is cheaper. A spicier stir fry sauce used in moderation adds a fun kick to the meal, which I've read that spicier foods tend to deter people from overeating as well as adding a lot of powerful flavor.

Chicken scampi: Chicken breast with mixed vegetables, olive oil, and parmesan cheese over whole grain fettucine