How to get myself to want to exercise?

Options
I am a college student who lives in the mountains of NC and I HATE exercising. I like walking but my schools campus is VERY smalll and I feel like I need to exercise to help transform my body instead of just lose weight but I can't get myself to go workout! HELP!

Replies

• CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Get an exercise buddy. Each of you will go exercise because you know the other is expecting it. At least, that has worked for me.
  • Get naked and stare at your body in the mirror for 5 minutes. Do you want to look like that anymore?

Or get a buddy if you're not into that kind of thing.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Find something you like to do. When I first got started I did a TRX class at my gym. I thought the teacher was a sick and sadistic man. But I LOVED it. I thought I was a sick and sadistic person the following days I hurt so much, but I loved it and I keep going. Once I got into the habit of doing that twice a week i just started going to the gym all the other days I love it now.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Find something fun that you DO like and enjoy. I hate running but I really like the gym classes, like body combat and zumba, that have awesome music and really get my heart pumping! Or yoga, that helps to de-stress but also builds core strength... or going hiking with some friends and seeing some great views and burning tons of calories! :happy:

I also sometimes brought a friend with me to the gym so we could work out together...but now it's gotten to the point where I LIKE going to the gym or planning a big hike, getting my sweat on, and enjoy the results...and YOU WILL TOO!! I bet there are beautiful hiking trails where you are :bigsmile:
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You need to set yourself a small goal. The idea of exercising "to help transform my body" is too vague. What specifically do you want to change about your body, and what do you need to do to make those changes happen? Ask yourself, "Am I serious about making these changes?" If the answer is no, then nothing anyone here says will make you want to work out; long term motivation has to come from the inside.

Personally, I work out six days a week with Sunday as my rest day. I didn't start out this way. I used to work out for 10 minutes every day. Ten minutes was all I could make myself do. Then I moved it up to 20, and then 30, and now I won't be at the gym for less than an hour. I'm a college student too, but I always make time for the gym. What has helped me a lot is being on a program with progression. I don't WANT to skip a day, because if I do, my whole schedule will be thrown off and I won't see the gains I'm used to.

That being said, nothing is going to make you want to work out unless you find your own inspiration. YOU have to want to make the change. YOU have to put the work in. YOU have to be consistent. If you can, and if you are, then you will see the transformation you're looking for.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I've got a jar and I put in a coin each day for being under my caliries and another for working out. Going to save up for a treat.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    give yourself a purpose.

i started riding my bike to work in the summer,
    then my will and drive to work out increased from there :)
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The buddy idea is a great start...it will force you to have to go because you have someone else who is waiting and depending on you to work out with them.
  • wixy15
    wixy15 Posts: 19
    Options
    if you do something enough times you will start to enjoy it. after a couple of weeks it becomes 'normal' and no big deal.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    sexy workout clothes
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Try swimming. It's relaxing and to me it doesn't feel like exercise
    Just fun to me :) and really good for your body
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Think of the outcome. I used to look at exercise as something pointless, much preferring to do some kind of sport. Problem with sport is that it's just not efficient enough at burning fat even though you'll probably enjoy the entire time spent playing sport. As doing the right exercise will burn fat much more efficiently than any sport, I resigned myself to doing exercise and now actually prefer it!
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It depends what your purpose is, if it's to get fitter, find someone whose like minded to encourage you and you can encourage them! If its to lose weight like me, what I did was take a picture of myself, and because I don't like how I look I think back to that picture soon low motivation days I'll look at it and sure enough I'm at the gym! :laugh: My best friend & gym buddy did the same and we encourage each other daily, if I was on my own I may give up but having someone go through the same things really helps! :)
  • Livibird65
    Options
    Make a list of gains and losses. What do you gain from regular exercise and what do you lose from not exercising.