Too fat? Bloating? Something else?

Options
I posted a topic about a week ago about how much my belly swells after I eat or drink ANYTHING and the general response was that without pics you can't really offer much assistance.

Well, I finally did the deed. I know I have more fat to lose but I think you'll get the general idea of my problem. I can "hold myself in" like in the first picture but its takes conscious effort. When I relax I look like the second picture which, as you can imagine, looks 100000x worse when sitting down.

Also please don't say I'm sticking my belly out...my spine is curved as I have a scoliosis, its the same in both pics.

sad.jpg

Whats my problem? :sad:

Replies

• maria_elaina
    maria_elaina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh if it's relevant...

height: 5"4'
    daily cals: 1500 - I usually have about 100 deficit and don't log my exercise calories.
    exercise: 10 mins HIIT running everyday and weights 5/6 times a week...full body/abs/arms
    not constipated. not pregnant.
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    up the water intake. try taking certain foods out of your diet one at a time. May be an intolerance. For me alcohol or any wheat/rye etc makes me bloat for crazy. Other people it may be lactose, caffeine etc. Try eating paleo or vegetarian for a few days see if that helps. What also works for me is the 16/8 fasting/feed.
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Could be a food intolerance/sensitivity.
    Worth discussing with professional if it is bothering you.

Usual course of action is eliminating the common suspects then re-introducing them.
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Without looking at your diary, I don't know.
    I know anything carbonated will bloat me up and any day I have had a lot of carbs- pizza, pasta, breads, I get bloated too.
    Maybe your core muscles are weak and your posture is poor?
    Practice stomach vaccums. Helps strengthen the deeper ab muscles.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    maybe ibs? or some food intolerance if it is only after eating. Or perhaps the scoliosis has weakened the core muscles? Go to your doc to put your mind at rest .
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It could be many things. Do you have digestion problems? I swell like that and it is from my ibs. I may not have any other symptom but I swell like that every time I eat. Im not an expert but I would say that you may have an issue like that. It is commen for women to develop ibs.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you've ruled out most of the above suggestions (food intolerances, etc) then see a doctor. Excess sodium can also cause bloat.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to the DR. I dont think I have ever heard or seen this before but then again maybe its happens to me but I am too fat to realize it. lol it almost looks like mild ascites which occurs in patients with liver problems. I am not saying that is what it is but I would see a dr? How long does it take to return to normal size? Is it painful? Are there any other symptoms that accompany the bloating? No matter what your answers are I would still suggest going to the dr because this is not normal and could be a whole lot of different things from ibs to something more serious. Keep us posted.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Maybe you have an intolerance to a certain food? Are you drinking enough water? Get checked out with a doctor. Good luck! xx
  • maria_elaina
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! Nice you're not saying it's "in my head" as my not so helpful mother does. I can SEE I have a problem you don't need to be all cute and cuddly about it lol so thats great thanks for all your suggestions :smile:
    How long does it take to return to normal size? Is it painful? Are there any other symptoms that accompany the bloating? No matter what your answers are I would still suggest going to the dr because this is not normal and could be a whole lot of different things from ibs to something more serious. Keep us posted.

Never returs to "normal" after i've eaten! Just sort of shrinks and swells as it so wishes until i wake up the next morning :noway:

I *think* my water intake is good - i feel like i'm always drinking at the minute to combat the hunger! - but I've never logged it, maybe now's the time to try?

I will book in to see my Dr. ASAP, I've just been a bit weary about doing so as I'm not someone that likes to waste dr.s time so didn't want to go for something I could easily sort myself. Plus my doctor's a bit rubbish haha. But I'll keep you guys posted...thanks for your advice and suggestions :smile:
  • Kristineevans1
    Kristineevans1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you my tummy does this too it's so uncomfortable and makes me miserable ! I have ibs I will have this bloating and awful foul smelling wind ( sorry tmi ! ) often followed by diareaha. I have just started taking a digestive enzyme and probiotic and it seems to help , I try to stay away from gluten and dairy although not excluded them completely and don't want to develop a serious allergy .
  • mazza227
    Options
    i have a similiar problem with bloating, so I understand your frustration.... Started off with terribly distended stomach everytime i ate, then didn't reduce till i slept it off. (In the morning, my stomach is half the size... ) But, I also began to get occasional cramps, mixed with a change in bowel functions - went to the doctor and they were really decent about it - pretty convinced its ibs... but still ruling other things out. It could be something simple, but i would suggest play around with your diet a little - my bloating has gotten loads better since Ive added probiotics, reduced fruit and cut out bran... different things work for different people. My only concern now is terrible stitch and cramping when I excercise.... even though Ive been excercising and fairly fit all my life :S

I think with ibs there tends to be a change in bowel function.... which you don't descibe. How much fluid do you drink with your meals?
  • mazza227
    Options
    also.... ive learnt over the years... you know your body better than anyone else.... no one else feels what you feel. Go with your instincts, If something doesn't feel right, get it checked out. Much rather have the doctor think its tedious, than miss something serious :)
  • maria_elaina
    Options
    I read about probiotics being good for this so have started having a probiotic yoghurt everyday. Messes with my sugar quite a lot but hoping I see a benefit.

Bowel function? Erm. At risk of being tmi....feels like something huge is on its way, but only small comes out. If that makes sense? Can't think of a less crude way of phrasing it.

Also, not sure if this is in any way relevant but I've started spotting and I'm on the pill. So a little concerned. Defo did neg. pregnancy test. Not sure whether to do another one? Surely if I was pregnant I wouldn't be able to "pull my stomach in" ?
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Aaah, the pill. That could also be part of it. My situation sounds so similar - I also have IBS and am on the pill. The hormones do mess with our bodies.
  • mazza227
    Options
    Try sticking with the probiotics... it was a while before i noticed a difference.

In terms of the bowels.... my situation pretty much the same despite going several times a day - so could be ibs...

Def see your doc...and tell them everything, so they get the whole picture! ive been doing alot of reading and it seems there are so.. many possible causes, ibs being just one of them.

I also noticed that I was retaining a lot of water... i was drinking loads with my meals, so i try to drink less with meals, and sip through the day.

Good luck!.. let us know how you get on.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I eat Gluten. How often does this happen to you after you've eaten bread or any wheat product? It could be that, or any number of other food intolerances. It may help you to pay attention to what you ate before a reaction, and try one at a time to eliminate different types of food from your diet, and find if there is any one thing that causes the reaction.
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! However, it is only after I eat a lot of food at once. It is annoying and I hate the little "food baby" that lingers until the next day! What I have found to work for me is eating a small amount of food at meals. I was eating until I was FULL -FULL. Now, I eat until I am satisfied and I can tell the difference! How much food are you eating at your meal?? Are you eating until you are stuffed?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    No offense, but it looks like a preggy belly to me. Have you taken a test or any chance of being pregnant?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    is this something that happens after eating dairy products (milk-, cream-, or cheese-based)? as we get older, alot of people start to develop lactose intolerance. i used to guzzle milk as a kid. it was my favorite drink. as an adult, i can't have it at all now. i get bloated and gassy, with cramps and diarrhea for at least several hours, but i've had it last as long as a couple of days until it completely worked out of my system. if i don't eat dairy products, i'm pretty normal, but 1 large glass of milk or bowl of cereal will bring it on. so i cut that completely out of my diet. it started getting bad in my mid-30's.