Blue cuticles? Longer running question

Options
So I'm just now getting into longer runs (read: 1+hours). Today I finished a 6 mile run about an hour ago. Tacked on a 35 minute walk back to my apt after that (1.6 miles). Came in, drank some water, drank some chocolate milk, sat down and stretched.

Now an hour later my cuticles are turning blue. Is that normal? Is there something I should be doing that I haven't done? I'm also getting a little chilly, but that's been happening regularly after runs, and I'm told it's normal. It's the blue cuticles that I've never heard of.

Many thanks! :)

Replies

• Laserbeale
    Options
    I have had that before post-marathon. It was bruising....
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hmm. That sounds like not so good. All I can find is a lack of oxygen/poor circulation...but I don't think that's really it, given that I feel completely fine, HR is back to resting, and all that jazz.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It is also likely that as you push yourself further, your body will allocate blood to where it need it most (this is one of the reasons many distance runners have GI issues during or shortly after long runs) As your body recovers and doesn't think it needs the blood elsewhere it would return to normal.
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    On longer runs, your feet will swell more than shorter runs. When I started to hit 90 min + runs I was having bruised toenails. I ended up going to a shoe size 1 complete size larger with a slightly larger toe box. I will wear my smaller shoes on sub 60 min runs and larger on anything longer.

Go to a running shop and be sure to get sized properly. The employees there should be able to give you some feedback.
  • daylily2005
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I should have been more specific. I've got good running shoes from a running store. It's th cuticles on my fingernails that were turning blue, not toes. It lasted for about 4 hours after my run, then I went to bed and woke up this morning and they look normal.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Cold weather running can cause blue fingers and considering that you are a young female and have been on a diet , you may be anemic (probably). It can also be due to caffeine or nicotine.

Try wearing gloves in cool weather and consider a physical with a blood profile. Blue fingers can also be a symptom of other illnesses, some serious.
  • daylily2005
    Options
    Thanks! I've been considering getting bloodwork to test for anemia--I've always been slightly anemic. Maybe I'll actually go get it done now.
  • sarastev
    Options
    From a nurse's perspective, I agree with the post mentioning a change in allocation of blood. Following activity, when your body is in recovery mode, it will allocate the blood to those areas that need it most (the muscles you worked). If you are dehydrated, the circulation in other areas of your body will decrease even more, which will decrease the amount of oxygen supplied to those areas.

I also agree with the anemic post, take some iron supplements or even a multivitamin to help with oxygen binding to your hemoglobin, which is carries on your red blood cells. However, I still think it is a good idea to have some blood work done because anemia can be caused by deficiencies other than iron, but taking iron supplements won't hurt.

Wear gloves when running in colder weather and remember to move your fingers often to help with the circulation during your run. After your run, use or move your hands often to keep circulation moving throughout the small capillaries in your finger tips. Heat will also help dilate your vessels and increase blood flow.

Good job on running. I hope it gets better!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Your iron is low, your blood sugar is low.

After my longer distances, I find that I fare better with half # of steak and rice.

ETA: Due to my own bloodwork, I know that I am anemic because my ferritin is low - my iron levels are usually fine, but my body doesn't store iron like it should.
  • daylily2005
    Options
    Thanks for the continued input! :)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    it used to happen to me when I argued with certain people. I was physically pissed, and it came out in blue and purple nails, but it went away in 20-30mins.

i want to go for a run now.