What do you do to overcome the dreaded "munchies"?

Options
I keep getting the afternoon munchies, but I am really trying not to eat any snacks. What can I do while I am at work sitting at my desk taking phone calls? Let me know what you do to curb those cravings. I am dying here. I took an afternoon break and hit the elliptical and that helped for a short time, but not long enough for the afternoon. Please shoot some suggestions my way. I don't want to be a "snacker" anymore!

Thanks!

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    What do I do when I have the munchies? I eat! It's good and healthy to eat every couple of hours. Snacking is not bad! Here's my day:
    8AM - breakfast
    10AM - snack
    12:30/1 - lunch
    3 - snack
    6 - dinner

PLAN for a snack so that you grab something healthy - but eat! There is NO REASON to be hungry or feel unsatisfied!
  • addicted2sweets
    addicted2sweets Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Dr. Oz's book and he suggests eating a high fiber breakfast and you will feel more satisfied throughout the day. I tried it today and I have to say, so far so good!
  • fisher110
    fisher110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with SON JAVON!!! I eat at 9:00, 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00 - every three hours! For the afternoon munchies, it's good to get something like some almonds or nuts in you. They fill you up better than celery or an apple. (Although you have to watch it so you don't eat too many of them!) Add a cup of hot green tea (I get the honey/lemon decaf and add Splenda) and you can get through it! Sometimes if I am REALLY hungry, I add a small handful of baby carrots. I need the crunchy stuff for my afternoon snack!

Good luch to you! You'll get through it!
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    what i do is drink a 20 oz water. our body is usually telling us thirst when we are snacky. our brain interprets hungry. if i am still snacky or hungry after the water (i wait 20 mins) then i eat. make it something without a label. that's really what your body wants! :happy:
  • imcanadianangel
    imcanadianangel Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used gum but unable to now as I lost a filling :( but the gum really worked or a tea
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Drink water ALL the time and do eat if you're hungry! I eat every 2 hours but I still stay within my calorie limit by working out more when I go over. :)
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I make sure I keep fruit at my desk just in case I get the munchies. I snack all the time, but now I make better snacking choices.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    I agree with what the others said about drinking more water (a definite challenge if you can't leave your desk to use the restroom!). I have found that chewing gum also helps. My dh insists that dropping to do 25 sit-ups or a set of push-ups helps.
  • guajataka
    guajataka Posts: 11
    Options
    I work hard to avoid them, but near my monthly cycle I allow myself to give in one time to that one indulgence for just one day, thick salty corn chips with mango salsa. It is my reward for being good all month and just celebrating me :-)
    This was super super hard the first two weeks, but I weighed in (every two weeks) and I lost 9 lbs. Even though I know the first few pounds were water weight, I was happy to have reached such a high goal in the first weigh in.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i say eat go for a filling snack like yogurt, nuts, a cereal bar, cereal....anything with protien and fiber
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I say eat a healthy snack if you're hungry! I like to have an apple with a little bit of peanut butter. It keeps me satisfied until my next meal too. Also, eating a good breakfast with lots of fiber will help you stay full longer too.