What is with the toothpicks at the gym?

Options
dr2k12
dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
Ok first let me just say that whatever someone want's to do, say, wear or whatever is fine with me as long as it doesn't impact those around him...

HOWEVER LOL

What is with the guys at the gym that feel the need to workout with a toothpick sticking out of the corner of their mouth? I mean aside form the fact that I would think it's an accident waiting to happen, what is the point of it. Is it like a tough-guy thing I was left out of?

Anyway, drives me crazy so thought we could share some opinions on it...

Cheers!

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Maybe they don't want to take time our of grunting and dropping weights to go smoke?
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Something stuck in their teeth?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    They're trying to choke on it so they can sue the gym and buy their own equipment for home.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I don't know but I know it makes me flinch to see it.. I used to do medical transcription and did an OR report on a kid that had a toothpick stuck in his mouth in the car.. went over a bump and swallowed it... well, they couldn't save him. He bled internally.
  • UWZander
    Options
    I'm guessing it's because they are tools, but I bet if you were to watch a pro powerlifter they probably wear a mouth guard. Something to keep them from crushing the teeth together.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Might be trying to quit smoking? I always have a bobby pin sticking out of my mouth cuz I used to have a lip ring so I miss having something to fiddle around with :laugh: But I don't bring one to the gym lol.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Never noticed this.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have not seen that before, maybe haven't noticed. I cannot see any benefit unless they soak it steroids before they work out.
  • dr2k12
    Options
    Never noticed this.

Maybe it's a Boston area thing?
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    poor Fonzie.
    cut him some slack.
    you ever tried working out in jeans and a leather jacket?
    a toothpick is the least of his problems.
    being cool aint easy. =)
  • dr2k12
    Options
    poor Fonzie.
    cut him some slack.
    you ever tried working out in jeans and a leather jacket?
    a toothpick is the least of his problems.
    being cool aint easy. =)

Heh heh... Now when I see them tomorrow I'm going to want to gay "Ayyyyyyyyyeeeeee" and throw the thumbs up at them ;)
  • Amazigh926
    Amazigh926 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Maybe they don't want to take time our of grunting and dropping weights to go smoke?
  • Amazigh926
    Amazigh926 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think you could be right about the quitting smoking thing, just my guess.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Oh....I see.....you didn't get the memo.

It's part of the TGTC (Tough guy toothpick clan). #1 requirement is that you must have a toothpick in between your mouth at ALL times! It's part of the tough guy act. Ladies loooove it. It shows that you're masculine and tough. C'mon....someone can get really hurt with a sharp toothpick in their mouth, what's not tough about that? ;) Right? Right?
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Never noticed this.

Maybe it's a Boston area thing?

I'm in the Boston area and I can't say I've ever noticed it either! I'm gonna be on the look out for it now for sure, though.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ok first let me just say that whatever someone want's to do, say, wear or whatever is fine with me as long as it doesn't impact those around him...

HOWEVER LOL

What is with the guys at the gym that feel the need to workout with a toothpick sticking out of the corner of their mouth? I mean aside form the fact that I would think it's an accident waiting to happen, what is the point of it. Is it like a tough-guy thing I was left out of?

Cheers!
    Sorry, I am too busy working out to have to time even focus on others.
  • Oh....I see.....you didn't get the memo.

It's part of the TGTC (Tough guy toothpick clan). #1 requirement is that you must have a toothpick in between your mouth at ALL times! It's part of the tough guy act. Ladies loooove it. It shows that you're masculine and tough. C'mon....someone can get really hurt with a sharp toothpick in their mouth, what's not tough about that? ;) Right? Right?

Wow, what a rebel! Recklessly putting themselves in that kind of danger is so hot :P
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Oh....I see.....you didn't get the memo.

Wow, what a rebel! Recklessly putting themselves in that kind of danger is so hot :P

I know! Sooooo HOT! :blushing:
  • dr2k12
    Options

HOWEVER LOL

Cheers!
    Sorry, I am too busy working out to have to time even focus on others.

And that is why you look like you are chiseled from a slab of granite and I'm making funny observations about guys sucking on toothpicks at the gym LOL
  • MissShancey
    Options
    When i was 15 i dated a guy who was 18 and he ALWAYS had a tooth pick in his mouth... he had a jar of them at the front door of is house so he would always have one ... it was just this “thing” he would do .. you know . like nelly and the bandaid?

he would take it out when he was going to kiss me .. it was actually kind of sexy, the way he would take it out and look at me, then i would look back at him like “i know what you wanna do” ... oh young love <3