Is 300 - 400 calories over TDEE a binge?

Options
I've been aiming for a net of 1,300 a day. My TDEE is 1700. Friday I netted 1750, and yesterday I netted 2050. Would those be considered binges or just overeating...?

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would consider that slight overeating (my binges go in excess of 3000 calories). :embarassed:
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For me a binge is when I feel like it's a binge. I have, in the past, had binge-like behaviours that have remained within my allotted calories (just one more mini size chocolate bar, and just another, and just another) but I have also gone quite a bit over when I haven't been binging just eating larger but healthy foods. I guess it's up to you, did you feel like you were out of control? If so, possibly a binge. Did it just happen to be a higher calorie meal? Then possibly it wasn't.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Binge eating is when you eat until you can't eat anymore. You simply stuff yourself with anything you find within your reach. So 300-400 over baseline is not bad at all, it will result in you gaining about half a pound in a week. if you do it 7 days in a row (assuming you don't burn off any of those extra calories)
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is when you eat until you can't eat anymore. You simply stuff yourself with anything you find within your reach. So 300-400 over baseline is not bad at all, it will result in you gaining about half a pound in a week. if you do it 7 days in a row (assuming you don't burn off any of those extra calories)

Exactly this.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    That's not even remotely in the ballpark of a binge. That's an extra snack or two.

Should you do it all the time? Of course not, but that's very minor.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Do you feel it was a binge? I believe a binge is a period of uncontrollable eating, it's more of a feeling than anything. Whatever the case is, you weren't over by much so I wouldn't worry, just as long as it isn't done all the time.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've been aiming for a net of 1,300 a day. My TDEE is 1700. Friday I netted 1750, and yesterday I netted 2050. Would those be considered binges or just overeating...?

There is no set definition of a binge :) It's how you feel about it. Also unless you are quite small, I highly doubt your TDEE is 1700. I have a paralyzed friend on here who's TDEE is around that or greater. I am quite small at around 105-108 lbs and my TDEE is up near 1900 lol Maybe recalculate to be sure on that.

Either way, one day over is no biggy! :)
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

There is no set definition of a binge :) It's how you feel about it. Also unless you are quite small, I highly doubt your TDEE is 1700. I have a paralyzed friend on here who's TDEE is around that or greater. I am quite small at around 105-108 lbs and my TDEE is up near 1900 lol Maybe recalculate to be sure on that.

Either way, one day over is no biggy! :)
    I'm 5'2, 120lbs and pretty much sedentary.

I mean I sometimes feel guilty after eating one thing I didn't plan though. And I know that's not a binge. So I guess it's not necessary how I feel about it that worries me, it's just the effect it could have on my progress, if any.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Depends on why you ate it. If you ate it because you were hungry, or just wanted a little extra food that day, it's overeating (and not even necessarily that if you were actually hungry).

If you were stuffing it in your face for various emotional reasons or because you were just sick of not being able to eat as much, it was probably more like a binge.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    hmmm I consider a binge if I eat until I am about to burst lol
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    That's not even remotely in the ballpark of a binge. That's an extra snack or two.

Exactly. Not even CLOSE to a binge.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Just overeating. But keep in mind that if you did that every day you would gain 30 pounds in a years time.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Just overeating. But keep in mind that if you did that every day you would gain 30 pounds in a years time.

That's an oversimplification of how the human body works--if she netted exactly 2050 a day (which is CURRENTLY 300-400 excess) that doesn't mean that eventually 2050 net wouldn't be closer to her actual TDEE than it is currently. However, I get what you're saying.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Heck no, that's weak sauce. Try eating over 6,000 kcals.
  • Infauna
    Options

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I would consider that slight overeating (my binges go in excess of 3000 calories). :embarassed:

Binges go way over netting 2,050.

You did not binge with 300-400 calories.... but I guess it could be a "mini" one....Did you feel out of control? Were you eating rapidly ?

~Binges can be scary, they can be like 7,000 calories sometimes. They make you feel sick.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Exactly.

300 calories is an avocado. :laugh:
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options

^This.

You can easily fix it by calculating how much you have gone over your goal and eat that much less in the next couple of days so it evens out.
  • BunnyFit2989
    BunnyFit2989 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is defined (paraphrasing here) as eating more during a short amount of time than one normally would. Binging is not 300-400 more than normal, binging is more like 2,000-3,000 more than normal. (Seriously. Scary stuff.) You're fine. :)