Elimination diet

Options
Has anyone been on the elimination diet? My dietition has me starting it this week. SOOO many things I can't have. Kinda depressing actually lol!

Replies

• jaimalee
    jaimalee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever been on one medically, but I know there are things that I cut out on my own - and it is hard but I bet sooner than you know, you'll find healthy replacements!

Way to go on your goals, btw, you are doing so AWESOME, and it looks like you will be at your target weight for July :) keep up the hard work, you're an inspiration.
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    I did an ED when I was nursing my son and he was having problems. We also did one with our 2 year old, who has autism, to see if cutting gluten, sugar, casein, soy, would help her.

It's hard but for me, worth it both times.

What are you eliminating, if you don't mind my asking?
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    HMMM.... This seems strange to me. What kind of foods are elimintated??
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options
    gluten, dairy, peanuts, eggs, corn, oranges.

I don't know how I'm going to do it! Peanut Butter is my favorite thing in the world. Then there is yogurt and cottage cheese that I love love! Oh and corn on the cob! ugh....
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i couldn't live without peanut butter. I think that diet would eliminate me. :(
  • ScarletTarah
    ScarletTarah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What is the reason behind the corn, oranges, eggs, and peanuts these are natural foods?
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options
    allergenic/cause inflamation.
  • lisanewe
    lisanewe Posts: 6
    Options
    Try almond butter if it is allowed. Also very tasty! Gluten is a hard one, but there are lots of gluten substitutes. I would have a hard time with eggs, but there are - sigh - substitutes for those too. Good luck!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I did an elimination diet after I had my gallbladder removed. I eliminated, well, pretty much everything and then started adding things back one at a time.
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    We did gluten/casein free (among other things) to see if it helped with my daughter's autism. It did. Once we got over not having bread, it really way pretty easy.

The only food we eat now that is a gluten substitute product is Trader Joe's brown rice pasta. It's very good. Brown rice pasta can be purchased almost anywhere that has a gluten free shopping section, but TJ's is much less expensive, and it's organic.

We just eat lots of fruits and veggies, lots of lean fish, chicken and turkey and soy and almond milk substitutes.

At first the whole family stuck 100% to GFCF and now, we don't have to. We don't keep bread in the house because she will ask for that but the rest of us eat oatmeal and cereals and such.

I also bought coconut milk yogurt and kefir at first and it was very expensive and not very good. If you can find soy yogurt for a treat, it's pretty good.

What about sunflower seed butter? It's my FAVORITE topping for apples.

Keep in mind that an elimination diet like you are describing is rarely long term. You can hold out long enough to get the information you need to get out of this! Have faith in yourself! :)

Also, start checking the web for gfcf (gluten free casein free) recipes.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    i have done this (I had to) - feel free to message me if you would like to know more. Good luck!