Waste of time

Options
ok today i went to the nutritionist (as advised by my endocrine dr....that was before i joined this site) and i felt like it was a waste of time.

the thing i have had problems with is binge eating...eating MASSIVE amounts of food (especially at night) even though i am not even hungry. its like an OCD thing that i am working with someone on. well since joining this site i have STOPPED that completely (on my own).

it didnt help when the nutritionist said to try not to eat the 100cal packs of hostess cakes every night (they are tiny and there is only 3)...um ok are you kidding, i have a hard time not eating a WHOLE box of regular sized cakes and you're telling me that i'm not doing well with eating the 100cal packs. for someone like me who has trouble eating too much...i'm doing a great job!! ok i still HAD to eat late a couple of times BUT it was low fat popcorn...a way better choice than what i would have normally ate.

idk i was not happy and not going to go back....it wasnt what i needed i guess.

Replies

• rialiama
    rialiama Posts: 3
    Options
    I am sorry you had to deal with such a jerk -be proud of your accomplishment though -it is very big : )
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    I can't eat just one either.... so, my solution... I can't have the stupid things in my house otherwise they talk to me and before I know it the whole box is gone and I look like an idiot
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I found out the nutritionist doesn't help. I eat 100 calorie popcorn every night so I am not hungry until breakfast.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't understand emotional eating. My dad's an emotional eater. He gets so bad, he'll sleep eat. Like, sleep walk and eat in the middle of the night. It's crazy and I don't even understand it...but I'll at least admit it. I'm sorry he wasn't helpful to you. You know what works for you and you didn't need him to tell you otherwise, so don't worry about it! :) You've made a lot of progress so far and that you can be proud of, my dear!
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I can't eat just one either.... so, my solution... I can't have the stupid things in my house otherwise they talk to me and before I know it the hole box is gone and I look like an idiot

Ditto!
  • motiboost12
    Options
    Hi...
    I feel your frustration. I think that it is in a feat in its self. My nutritionist recommended those packs when I want to snack, however, I have to watch the sugar in them. I just incorporate them into my daily routine. If you are not comfortable by all means do not go back. I also have a hard time eating large amounts of food at night. My shift at work is 1pm to 11:30pm and I am famished by the time I get off work. There was nothing "wrong" when I stop at every midnite drive thru I can find and bring tons of food home. I am going to try to eat something before I go home and see what happens. I hope you find another nutiritionist. If not, then dont worry and be proud of what you are doing.
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    thank you all for that!! i'm just going to totally ignore alot of what was said. yes some things do of course like eat more fruit/veggies etc.

what are other peoples calorie goal? mine (based on MFP) is 1200. they told me to eat 1400-1650 :noway: what?? really?? i mean i'm NOT hungry at 1200 a day and yes some days were LOW because i was having a bad etc or something but its not like that EVERYDAY! so i added another 100 to my day so my goal will be 1300.

and i'm sorry if i "need" to eat something like BK or culvers etc then i'm going to...like i said before mini burger kids meal is WAY better than a whopper large sized!! i was eating lke that ALOT before this site so yeah!!

THANKS
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1660 for losing 1.5 pounds a week, but that is because I weigh 272, which is probably more than you. I agree with you... be proud of your accomplishments. I still have my indulgences, but just not as much as I used to eat. I may have one dr. pepper a week, instead of one a day; or I may have a cookie, but not a dozen cookies!
  • crapattack
    Options
    i think the best advice i ever got was from a trainer, who told me if i was craving something, just eat it. like the other day i desperately wanted a cheeseburger, and all i could think about was cheeseburgers, and then so last night? i made a healthyish cheeseburger! if i had not made one, i would still be daydreaming of them today, i know it. if i were you, i would stay with those 100 calorie packs- as long as you're not eating like 15 of them a night i don't see any kind of problem.
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    I feel your pain...I'm an emotional eater especially at night...It's my friend & we have a love/hate relationship.

Well I told my (X) Dr. about my issue & her words were "why don't you eat carrots or something". Wow I thought ...if it was that easy I wouldn't be telling you!!!

I get more help from you MFP'rs than a Professional.:tongue:
  • elysium2699
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on beating the binge eating! That's Fantastic!!! I splurge on something unhealthy every single day - some chocolate, bowl of ice cream, etc... My motto is that everything is fine in moderation. A 100 calorie pack of anything is absolutely more than acceptable if you are otherwise eating healthy and getting some exercise in the rest of the day. I may not be a nutrition expert, but it sounds to me like you are doing awesome! Keep it up!
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    One thing that I have found that causes me to binge eat at night is simply staying up too late. If you're overtired your body is going to start to crave carbs for fast fuel. 9:30 to 10 pm is my golden time for bed. Any later than that and I'm in trouble.
  • Sweatin
    Sweatin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome. Keep up the work. I'm sorry, but life is short. I dont know about you or anyone else, but if I had to cut out the foods that I really enjoy, life and dieting would be really miserably. I'd give up and return to a life of unhealthy eating and would probably be worse. I think you are on the right track, if you know that you cant have a whole box, and the 100 calorie packets satisfy you, do what works for you. Dont they say everything in Moderation?
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I understand your emotional eating Dawn, I do the same thing. Before MFP and OE I used to eat eat eat even (like you said) when I was not hungry. I'm having a hard time right now. I am wanting an ice cream so badly but chose to come here instead. That is one of my prohibited foods. I am desparately trying to avoid refined sugar but sometimes it is SO SO difficult. I actually thought about purging after a binge, and that's when I knew I had a problem. Now, I go to OE and I come here. It's nice to know we are not alone isn't it? It is for me. I have been healthy eating and exercising for nine days now, and I want to continue and make it my new lifestyle. You should be very proud of yourself for the changes you are making in your diet, I would be! Keep coming here and keep your positive attitude. It can sometimes be an every day struggle but it's worth it. WE are worth it. Take care.
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    I am so proud of you for knowing your issues and finding ways that work for you to overcome them. Good for you!!! Keep up the good work. Do the best you can and don't beat yourself up when you fall short. Just keep on keepin' on.
    MFP gave me 1200 calories but if I workout then I can eat more. For me, 1200 calories really isn't enough to feel satisfied. I'm 5' 2" and weigh 138. I need to lose about 15-20 lbs. I seem to always eat larger portions than my girl friends do and it makes me feel like a glutton. I love MFP because if I want to eat those extra calories then I HAVE to do the workout to earn them. I just joined 2 weeks ago and I've already lost 2 lbs. I love the Curves Smart program because I can get a high calorie workout in and then walk a couple miles and that usually gives me the extra calories I need to feel satisfied plus a few extra to play with--or not : )
  • mylittlescreamer
    Options
    Don’t worry about what your nutritionist said. He doesn’t know how well you’ve progressed. It takes time to get into the habit of not eating so many snacks. You are doing a GEAT job! It’s wonderful you can set a limit.
  • chunkymonkeyme
    Options
    I'm a binge eater too it seems and like you have a love hate relationship with food, never had a weight problem until I quit smoking almost 2 years ago ... I can't keep 'junk' food in the house - EVER - and those little packs are a joke - I'd eat the entire box at one sitting - gained 30 lbs over the last two years BUT AM DETERMINED NOT TO SMOKE AGAIN because you see I've quit smoking before and each time I've gained about the same - and the only successful way to get it off was to start smoking again .... BUT I REFUSE - I WON'T DO IT AGAIN, NOT THIS TIME!

I do some of my finest eating in the evening, lol! Bored, lonely who knows why - Can anyone give me the low-down on 'Emotional Eating' - Beginning to wonder if that's my problem ... I've googled some info on here but didn't find it very helpful!

Anyway, I agree with the others just keep on keepin' on, don't beat yourself up ... it seems your nutritionist doesn't seem to know how to encourage and/or reward your accomplishments OR to recognize when a little extra support is necessary. Recognizing our own shortcomings when it comes to food comsumption is a giant step toward achieving our goals. We weren't born 'habitual eaters' ...the habit developed over a period of time ... all habits, good or bad require a minimum of 30 days to get us started on the right foot ... don't worry, if you fall off the wagon - just get up and get right back on ...

WE CAN ALL DO IT!

Good Luck and Stay Safe,

P.S. Lusadi, I think that's great advice regarding a consistant bedtime I've always been a night-owl - but I'm going to attempt it, thanks.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    Im going to play devils advocate here. I agree that you have made MAJOR strides in overcoming emotional eating. HOWEVER, you have to also understand that the trainers job is to help you eat as healthy as possible. And although the 100 cal packs are SOO much better than a whole box, it still doesnt make it necessarily healthy or "clean" which is generally 2 things that contribute to a healthy lifestyle change. I absolutely do believe in everything in moderation... I think the nutritionist/trainer may have thought every day with processed food was overdoing the moderation. IMHO