Half marathon training and knee pain

Options
Hi-

I have been training for my first half marathon which is in 2 weeks from yesterday. After my last long run (11 miles) my joints were absolutely killing me. My knees, ankles, feet- all in serious pain hours after the run. Standing even hurt. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to ease the pressure? I feel like this could be damaging my knees which is concerning. I've never had this issue before. Should I look into different insoles? I've been running on mixed surfaces: running paths, road, side walk, and grass.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes. Try shoe dog from roadrunner sports $70, but you'll think its money well spent.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Did you change shoes recently or are your current shoes needing replacement (figure every 3-4 months with regular running)?

Did you just increase mileage a good bit? All the running training I've read recommends increasing no more than about 10% week to week.

From my own experience, I was sore all over when I pushed up over 10 miles in training. I did one 10.5-11 mile run a week before my half marathon, and that was the longest training run I did. Then doing 13.1 miles I hurt for a couple days, mostly in my knee. Pain and soreness are different things. Soreness is generally swelling and is normal, even though it can be very intense. Pain is generally localized to a muscle / ligament / joint and indicates an over use injury or structural damage.

I would rest, ice and elevate your legs to control swelling. Think about your shoes and whether they need replacing. If they need replacing, don't wait until race day to break out the new shoes.
  • alehayde
    Options
    My current shoes probably need replacing. I thought the rule of thumb was 6 months for replacement, and I'm already a bit past that. Since the half is in less than 2 weeks, do you think that would be enough time to break in new shoes? On my current training plan, I don't have any long runs left.

I have been slow and steady with increasing mileage, which is why I found this alarming.

I will definitely check out shoe dog too.

Thanks for your help guys! Hopefully switching shoes will help. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    My current shoes probably need replacing. I thought the rule of thumb was 6 months for replacement, and I'm already a bit past that. Since the half is in less than 2 weeks, do you think that would be enough time to break in new shoes? On my current training plan, I don't have any long runs left.

I have been slow and steady with increasing mileage, which is why I found this alarming.

The night of any runs, I've been mixing this in with my protein powder shake/milk before bed.

Osteo Bi-Flex - Nutrajoint Drink Mix - non-flavored.

Joints have felt great. After 19 miler Friday, I did double protein shake and that in the mix, no problems the next day.

Of course, I'm not going to experiment by NOT taking it and seeing if they hurt, because they have been known to, hence the reason for taking it a while back.
  • alehayde
    Options
    So do you take it before you run or after?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So do you take it before you run or after?

After, night of run. Body is repairing anyway, so there's some of the raw ingredients to repair with.

Stuff claimed to help the joints by taking it before hand just can't work out, unless it's a general health improvement.

Like friend with bad joints just told me the omega 3's he's taking for other reasons, and was the only thing he changed, helped the joints and no pain now. But still not a matter of taking right before work.
  • belben22
    Options
    See if you can get into a trusted sports physiotherapist for a check up to make sure nothing is out of place. They will also be able to refer you to have tailor made shoe inserts to support your feet and keep your ankles, knees and hips aligned while running. Unfortunately though running is very hard on the body so lower body injuries and pain are very common in long distance runners, especially in the joints.
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Also try glucosamine.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Shoes should be replaced when they become dead and the foam etc... in them don't bounce back between runs and/or the soles of the shoes wear to the point that it affects your footfall or gait. (The latter is pretty easy to see, the first usually shoes up as soreness after runs that is unusual) For me, I have pretty much figured out that it is a certain number of miles and then I replace them, regardless of how long I have had them.

If your shoes are dead, and it sounds like they are, get a new pair for your race. If the model you are using has worked well throughout, then get another one of the same and be sure they fit well. They should not need to be broken in if they fit right, but you do want to do some easy runs in them over the next few weeks before your race, just to be sure nothing is going to bite you on race day.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

If you are buying the same model of shoe, the transition should be seamless.

Life span of shoe will depend on the type of shoe, your weight and gait, but should be measured in mileage, not months. Typically 400-500 miles.
  • stlq
    stlq Posts: 1
    Options
    I injured my knee training for a half close to 2 years ago and it has not been the same since. I started feeling pain the day that I ran 12 miles and that was the end of my training. I have really had to learn how to modify and how to listen to my body. Just recently started taking Collagen + C and it has been amazing.