Can Somone Please Evaluate my workout?

Options
Hello everyone , was wondering if someone can evaluate my workout and let me know if its a good workout to burn my stubborn belly fat and chest area?

I work out 4 times per week for about 1 1/2 hrs each workout.

Here is what i do:

I start by running on the tread mill for 25 minutes at 6/mph

-Then i do 100 pushups in 5 sets of 20
-Then do 5 sets of 12 reps of seated cable row
-Then 5 sets of 12 reps of standing shoulder press
-Then 5 sets of 12 reps of Lap Pull downs
-Then i do about 200 crunches and about 50 leg raises

This if just my upper body workout, i do upper one day and lower the next day and so on. please let me know what you guys think?

Replies

• taekwonkenpo
    Options
    Is this at a gym? Or at home with limited equipment?
  • HugoJimenez1190
    Options
    Its at my community gym which has a lot of stuff but not anything close to like a golds gym or something like that
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat then you need a calorie deficit. The resistance training is just to preserve muscle while doing it.

Now if you want to talk about the resistance traiing, I would recommend a 3 day full body routine centered around barbell bench press, overhead press, deadlifts, squats, rows, and chinups.

Look at this for more info http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I agree with Fullofwin. If your main focus right now is to trim away fat so you can see that muscle then you just need to keep your calorie and, most important, fat content down.

My suggestion is to continue as you are with push ups and crunches. Add leg lifts, planks, and side crunches whenever possible. Then do a full body type workout centered aroung bench, incline bench, shoulders, dead lifts, and then whatever you do for legs. If you are truly lifting heavy then keeping your routines small is fine but if you know you are being moderete then consider pushing it up a bit.
    P.S. lot's of protien as i am sure you already know.

Now if only i could follow my own advice. I find it diffacult without a spotter and no gym membership. :sad:
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone , was wondering if someone can evaluate my workout and let me know if its a good workout to burn my stubborn belly fat and chest area?

Here is what i do:

This if just my upper body workout, i do upper one day and lower the next day and so on. please let me know what you guys think?

Missing Bench Press, Bent Over Rows, deadlifts, Squats....

Also alternate your rep range to focus on strength and hypertrophy or just strength.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If this is what you always do, and are not seeing results, switch it up some. I find that if I do the same thing every time it looses some of its effectiveness.
  • HugoJimenez1190
    Options
    Thank you guys for your help, i will try pushing myself a bit harder as i have not been doing so lately. Thanks for the advise guys.
  • HugoJimenez1190
    Options
    ive tried doing squats but god i cant seem to do them without it hurting my back , is there anyway of doing a similar exercise that helps not hurt my back so much?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    maybe try taking out the cardio every workout, instead have 3 strength sessions and a HIIT session.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about breaking your workouts up to focus on a single muscle group at a time? One day do chest/back - next day do shoulders / then arms? Just a thought. Do 2-3 exercises per muscle group.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    ive tried doing squats but god i cant seem to do them without it hurting my back , is there anyway of doing a similar exercise that helps not hurt my back so much?

I have been helping a friend with this by having her do a few warm up squats without weight, just sitting back and having her touch her bum to a weight bench. Gives the feeling of reaching your hips back and keeping her back straight. Her form is terrible and that's why her back hurts. Also, she is finding it a bit easier right now with her feet a little wider apart.

Always look straight ahead, do not look down at your feet.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Perhaps it would be better to figure out why they hurt your back. Have you actually been coached on them or done anything to learn to do them properly? Where exactly does it hurt?
    Have you thought about breaking your workouts up to focus on a single muscle group at a time? One day do chest/back - next day do shoulders / then arms? Just a thought. Do 2-3 exercises per muscle group.

This is not the optimal way for a beginner to train.
  • HugoJimenez1190
    Options
    To be honest i only did them ever so often in high school i played soccer and all we ever did was run haha, um it hurts my lower back ? Feels like my back is a spring and the weights are compressing it down
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend swimming for overal toning. I also use 10lbs weights and do Karate moves like pucnhes, blocks and such for my upper body.

bUT MOST EVERYONE ELSE IS RIGHT ON THE CALORIE DEFICIT THING TOO.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    all you need in an entire program is like a variation of about 7 exercises...

vertical push movement(shoulder press)
    vertical pull movement (pullups or pulldowns)
    horizontal push (bench press)
    horizontal pull (rows)
    major leg movement (squats or leg press if for some reason you cant do squats.)
    one legged movement (step ups or lunges)
    major hip movment (deadlifts, cleans)

start off by doin these and you will build a great physique from it and worry about isolation work later on once you can build a foundation from these exercises.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Lunges or wider squats with good form (keep your back straight) or wall sits.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Here is what i do:

Pretty solid full body workout, but it could be tweaked to amp up results.

Do intervals in your run (sprint for 30 seconds every 90 seconds or so). If you're running 6/mph time after time, your body probably isn't getting challenged. Also, switch up your strength training. Try some new moves. To get the best results, you have to keep giving yourself new challenges. For abs, try some leg raises and bicycles instead of always doing crunches. Keep your pace up so that your heart is pumping hard throught the workout, and end with some more cardio. For fat loss, I would recommend an hour of cardio for the extra calorie burn.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

What I see a lot of is people doing squats with poor form that causes the pain. Squats can be very dangerous if not performed correctly. I would do one of three things. Watch a ton of youtube on squats from a reputable source, go the the gym and have someone video you and compare. Perform squats on a machine...this takes out some of the balancing variable and cuts down on possibility of injury. But what I would highly recommend is a PT that will be able to show you proper form.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce.
    Lose weight -> calorie deficit.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    all you need in an entire program is like a variation of about 7 exercises...

vertical push movement(shoulder press)
    vertical pull movement (pullups or pulldowns)
    horizontal push (bench press)
    horizontal pull (rows)
    major leg movement (squats or leg press if for some reason you cant do squats.)
    one legged movement (step ups or lunges)
    major hip movment (deadlifts, cleans)

start off by doin these and you will build a great physique from it and worry about isolation work later on once you can build a foundation from these exercises.

Follow this advice. Add some core toning. Crunches, leg raises, planks, etc....... Wala.................sexy body all the girls be lovin. :tongue: