I made a mistake

Has this happened t0 anyone before. I lost control yesterday and ate 800 calories above my goal!! I fell like what a waste of my effort and feel disgusted. I just lost control. i know that the only thing to do is start over today. But does this happen to others also or is it just me?

Replies

• gofaulk28
    gofaulk28 Posts: 21 Member
    It happens to everyone at one point or another. I know I have done it plenty of times, and by more than 800 calories! Like you said, nothing you can do but just start over the next day and forget about it, I highly doubt that a lousy 800 calories is going to hinder your progress.
  • The fact that you know what you did was a "mistake" says a lot about your determination and your goals. It's one day and you can pick up and start again. I suggest rather than eating a ton of calories in one day...allow yourself a treat every now and then so you don't feel deprived. If the majority of your eating is well balanced and your calorie intake allows for a treat than go ahead! i think it's important to look at eating as a life long change and if you think you can go the rest of your life without a little indulgence every so often I commend you, cause I know I sure can't....look at my diary from yesterday...lol Don't beat yourself up, you seem to know your limits and boundaries...take it one day at a time! All the best :wink:
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    I do it at least once every few weeks. Just forget about it and move on.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/16/get-over-it/
  • lookgreatfast
    lookgreatfast Posts: 106 Member
    Thank you everyone for your support. Now I don't feel so bad.
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Im more than sure this happens to EVERYONE. especially those of us that have lost weight, only to gain it back. thats the kicker. Don't let it 'beat' you. One day in the middle, shouldn't be the end or begining. If you think about it, thats does make scense,lol.

Just continue as you were before. Only thing you can do is try to recognise when it's gonna happen again and distract yourself or, change the pattern or whatever. you are a work in progress. When it gets really outta control for me, i go for a nap,lol. Might not be the best way of coping, but i usually can grab a hold better after a snooze. I feel refreshed and it's like a reboot.

Point is, don't let it get you down. if this were easy, sites like this wouldn't exist, and diet products would not be a multi billion $$ business.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Hey I just looked at your diary... 1200 is a very low calorie intake, it might be that your body is overriding your brain because it knows it needs FUEL to keep running properly. It's OK to do a 1200 calorie diet for a little while, but over the long haul you might start losing muscle mass.

OH--- but in answer to your question, yes, I screw up and overeat sometimes, too! The worst that I've logged was a 3500 calorie day--- 3500 calories equals one pound of weight gained, but only if you don't have a metabolism. Since my metabolism burns about 2300 calories a day, I definitely overate but it didn't ruin my life. :smile: Perspective! Onwards and upwards1
  • lookgreatfast
    i'm 4'9" and mfp recommends i take 1200 cal/day. will I still be bale to lose if I up'd the cal?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Has this happened t0 anyone before. I lost control yesterday and ate 800 calories above my goal!!

I looked at your diary for the month. Day after day at 1,000 calories or less, a few at 1,200, with very little fat and barely adequate protein. Please don't get down on yourself for losing control; your body is trying to tell you it needs nutrients that it isn't getting. Try eating whole eggs instead of just egg whites, full-fat cheese and yogurt (without added sugar) instead of reduced-fat. Cut calories instead from all those refined flour products--bread, biscuits, pasta, pretzels, etc.

An occasional day over your goal isn't going to hurt. Everyone does it once in a while.
  • lookgreatfast
    thank you all for your suggestions.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    It's a day gone. Not a failure. So what. Today is a good day.

If it makes you feel any better I will confess that my desperate PMS craving for ONE Oreo...turned into eating 9 of those nasty things and adding 700 calories to my bad day. So yep...it happens to everyone. And that's not my first oopsie. Lol. Still down 74 pounds in a year...so it's all good.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    It happens! Especially the week before my monthly visitor :/
    Just make up for it with an extra 10 or 15 minutes of cardio each day this week.
  • slugkiller
    slugkiller Posts: 90 Member
    Confession time for me too - i blew out for two days this weekend. Ate massively above goal (also at 1200 net) and felt pretty down about it. I know all the above comments make sense and am trying to take it in - one day at a time, one meal at a time, get over it etc etc. Still bugs me though :grumble:
    Been for a 5 mile run tonight - putting those extra calories in the 'bank' against my calorie 'overdraft'!!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    I lost control yesterday and ate 800 calories above my goal!!

Don't forget, your goal is probably at least 500 calories short of your daily calorie needs. You have to have a deficit to lose weight right? So if your goal is 500 under and you eat 800 over that you're really just over 300 calories for the day. Nothing to write home about. Sure it doesn't help you with weight loss but it's not like one day over that amount will have any significant bearing on your weight. Just start eating good today.

Don't short yourself too much. Make sure and eat your goal amount of food. If you don't you're going to have a really hard time fighting urges to binge on food. It catches up to you so don't try to "outsmart" the system and have a super low calorie goal to lose faster. It won't help you and it's difficult to transition out of once you reach goal weight.