depression isn't real...

Options

Replies

• Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons I started improving my health was because of depression; I found it to be one of my greatest motivators. My depression has greatly improved the healthier I get. Self confidence and inner wellbeing has been a great cure. Here's to abolishing it forever!!

Absolutely this!

Ive had and been treated for depression for the last 6 years. As a result of the exercise, good eating and support Ive had here I 'might' be able to stop the meds in the spring \o/
    The thing with motivation is finding the strength for that first workout. The second will be easier, the third will be easier still and hell, by the fourth you may find yourself looking forward to it! At the start I dealt with the feelings of being worthless and undeserving, also the fear of not feeling any better when I get to goal. You have to nip those feelings and learn to appreciate who you see in the mirror NOW. Then you will be able to take the steps needed to be who you want to be :flowerforyou:

Honoured to have you as my friend :-) Get rid of the meds asap though - I came off them a couple of weeks before I started this - my motivation and desire to improve myself came back, whilst on them I did not care how fat I was becoming, I did not care at all. Now I'm off them I'm improving in every aspect of my life.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am not deppresed. (except about recent political results) I am 100% happy with my life and my amazing family. I have a good job and an OK support system. I have friends and i make enough money to get by. This is me. If you can not say some of these things for whatever reason then try to take whatever steps you have to so that you can say whatever possitive things about your life that you want to say.

Baby steps

I too have all of those things, and in my case from the outside people will never understand why I wake up some mornings and want to kill myself.

Hhmmm, lots of movie stars and rock stars have all these things too but end up committing suicide
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned meditation as yet. I have had dysthymia (mild form of depression) since childhood that was undiagnosed until I was about 40. Had a major life setback at that time and went into a major clinical depression. It was a huge relief to finally discover what had been bothering me all those years.

I went on meds for a few months that help kick start me again.

I did a lot of reading about it once I found out what was going on. Here is a summary of what was helpful.

The biggest thing that has helped me to not be become depressed again is meditation. There is a book called "The Mindful Way through Depression" that is a simply amazing tool. BUT be prepared to work at it. Healing in this way does not come easy, but it does last.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Way-through-Depression-ebook/dp/B007T9FZRS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352721701&sr=8-2&keywords=mindful+depression

Now I spend at least a few minutes meditating every day.

Other things that I found to be very helpful:
    1. Exercise. Like everyone else is saying here.
    2. Therapy. Helped me to work out some of the issues around the depression.
    3. Massage. This can be very expensive. But it can be so healing if you have the funds.
    4. Encouraging people. Depression is a "contagious" disease. If you are around someone who is depressed you are much more likely to get it. Studies prove this. I confided in a close friend who was not depressed and it was very helpful.
    5. Yoga. I do some light Hatha Yoga everyday. This is especially helpful for my upper back that gets knotted up easily.

I'm not saying life is perfect now either. I still have down days. But the above things, especially the meditation, has been extremely helpful in not getting back in the downward cycle of "bad" thoughts that brings on a depression.

Feel free to add me as a friend... that goes for anyone here in this thread.

Have a great week everyone. :)
  • I am not deppresed. (except about recent political results) I am 100% happy with my life and my amazing family. I have a good job and an OK support system. I have friends and i make enough money to get by. This is me. If you can not say some of these things for whatever reason then try to take whatever steps you have to so that you can say whatever possitive things about your life that you want to say.

Baby steps

I too have all of those things, and in my case from the outside people will never understand why I wake up some mornings and want to kill myself.

.... Me too :(
  • MrMeowGi
    MrMeowGi Posts: 171
    Options
    Although people told me to see a doctor or counsellor , this is the how I got over my "depression" dip which I suffered from for about 3 months in and out (this may .may not work for you but hopefully helps someone.

You are awesome, stop crying about the bad things start laughing about the good things, If there arnt many good moments then its about time you make some. Sure i might have had some **** luck, bad genes, unfortunate life choices etc, but HOW can I ever expect to rise from these if I keep looking down. When You are in public walk with your chest out and chin up , pretend you are wearing a cape, as if you are some superhero, even if you dont feel happy, look up, not down. Smile instead of frown, Listen to music that makes you happy, not anything that can make you sad but rather something that makes you go "INTz intz and bob your head around ,dance sing along.

If you are alone (like I have been for most of my life[in terms of relationship]) , Understand that it actually is easy to find someone out there, but for me I figured out I don't want ANYONE , but rather want someone special , so until that day I would rather spend time with the best person I currently would ever want to spend time with, myself (obviously there is family and friends, but not in relationship terms), so come to realise, being alone is awesome? If you give it though it truly is , I laugh at my own joke which I make to myself, I watch movies alone, I go out to dinners or movies in resturaunt and cinemas alone and you know what, I frikken love it, at first its weird, but HOW COULD YOU EVER EXPECT TO BE HAPPY WITH SOMEONE ELSE, If you can't be happy WITH YOURSELF.

If you ever want any help (this applies to anyone who ever is in a bad spot) just add me as a friend, OR just message me! :) Chin up!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've had depression since i was 12 years old and its never really got better or worse, and now i also have borderline personality disorder so i know how low you can get. Especially with motivation which i struggle a lot with. I'd recommend getting some help, it doesn't work for everyone but talking to someone can be helpful (i'm one of the unlucky ones who can't take anti-depressants or do talking therapy though as they just don't work). Hope you start feeling better soon hun
    Don't give up on the talking therapy. There are so many different kinds of therapists out there (and lots of bad ones, especially on the NHS), sometimes it's just about finding the right one for you. :flowerforyou:

I had a burnout about a year ago; I never really got it medically diagnosed because I was terrified of labeling it/myself but I was having anxiety attacks, uncontrollable bouts of crying, problems concentrating, problems sleeping, constant headaches and suicidal thoughts... All in all, a bad time. The good thing about my experience was that I had a very clear idea what was causing it (work combined with previously existing inferiority complex and constant need to be perfect). Work was the trigger, the actual cause was deep inside myself though, and it took months of therapy to get me sorted. Actually, I had been going to therapy for a couple of months already and the therapist told me that if she dosen't get a breakthrough in the next few sessions she would have to send me to the 2ndline institution for the more serious cases. She had tried almost everything, but while I could intellectually understand what she was trying to get out of me, none of it really "clicked". Well, anecdotally we had a breakthrough the very next session. It still took work to solidify it; months of work.

So, if you're going to therapy and it's not working, don't give up! Try a different therapist, or maybe an activity to relaease your mind from worries. Maybe painting or (wood)carving or something. Sports works too, especially high-intensity sports like boxing. Just something that your body can do while you let your thoughts go. Actually physical activity can be the best way of tricking your brain because normally the good old brainy would tell you that everything is horrible and dark and unpleasant; even the things you KNOW you like and that SHOULD trigger the happy feeling, except it doesn't because the enjoyment of activities is all in our heads and if your brain decides to not cooperate then that's the end of it. However, physical activity actually creates and releases the happy-hormones in your body, whether your brain wants it or not (that's how it's possible to get addicted to working out. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms) and so that can dive you a much-needed respite from the darkness. Now, from personal experience, the hardest part is actually getting up and doing the activity. What helped me though was thinking that I was tricking my brain, I was actually physically doing something to mess with it the way it was messing with me.

All the best wishes to the OP and everyone else going through a rough time!

Edited to add: also, it's MUCH easier to sleep when you're physically exhausted! which in turn makes you less tired during the day. Noth that excercise can cure your depression, mind, but it can help with some of the symptoms thereby giving you a little relief so you can focus on fixing the actual disease.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    I suffered with depression all my life from being very small i too find it very difficult most days but i findmy motivation from my friends on here and i in turn motivate them its a great place for that an the right medication helps and i know how you feel
  • 91keira
    Options
    I suffer from depression I'm now on medication and feeling in control of my life. I'm slowly getting my life back. But...... Still don't know what causes my depression. I try not to dwell on that now.
    Wishing everyone who suffers with this happiness.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Folks may want to check out the following groups -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2202-managing-depression
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/89-mental-health-issues

There are any number of people who share similar experience.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've suffered through bad postpartum depression three times, as well as having bouts of depression at other points of my life. It is hard to get over! I'm only now really coming out of it and making myself a priority and trying to make everything around me positive again.

I have found that when I eat better and avoid sugar I feel better mentally.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from depression. I was on prescription meds previously but they didn't seem to help. I have been taking St. John's Wort which is supposed to promote mood health.

Anyone feel free to add me. It's always good to have a support system with like-minded people!

:hugs:
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    I feel the same way. I've been dealing with this for the past few months. Combination of things really: lack of support from spouse, no family etc. I was on meds too but they weren't working. Struggling every day to find the motivation to even get out of bed let alone workout. Feel free to add me.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from depression, however my mother has major depressive disorder and I've been there through all the lows, I'm also in the final few months of completing my masters in counseling. I know its not the same, and trust me I won't "therapize" you over MFP, however I do feel that I have an empathetic understanding of what people are going through as I have spent a great deal of time in my personal life and education working with individuals with psychiatric disabilities. Anyone can feel free to add me.

With that being said, if you haven't seen a mental health professional (not your general health practictioner, a psychiatrist or psychologist) I would suggest going to see them, and if you just recently started medication, give it time, anit-depressants take 2-4 weeks before they start effectively working on your domapine and seratonin receptors n your brain. As far as therapy, its wonderful and extremely helpful if you let it be, take the time to find a therapist whos therapeutic approach fits you and your goals, and are open and work hard in therapy. Exercise is a great start towards getting out of your depression as well, as it works on the dopamine receptors in your brain.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with depression about four years ago.
    Anyone feel free to add me =]
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    One thing that works for my depression is reminding myself that what's making me feel so bad IS my depression. Reminding myself that it's my condition that's making things seem so difficult.

I equate it to my nearsightedness. Without my glasses or contacts, everything is blurry, but that isn't what the real world looks like. When my depression is at it's worst, everything is colored by my depression, but that, too, isn't what the real world is like.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Have you thought that something you are eating might be contributing to your depression? I stopped eating gluten a couple of months ago and the biggest sign of positivity for me, was that the aching feel of anxiety in the middle of my chest had gone. I can breath in and out now without it being there taunting me.

I actually ate a bit of gluten this week and i crashed yesterday, felt terrible about myself etc.

I would recommend you think about removing a few foods from your diet (in turn, not all at once) to see if you are a bit intolerant to anything that might be causing your depression. I know i was x

This is good advice. I have a brief story that supports it.

My husband was depressed for many years. He has some serious health issues, and we chalked it up to that. Several months ago his acupuncture doctor told him to quit drinking beer because of the gluten and switch to saki highballs. He did. He felt so much better that we've started eliminating gluten from his diet. The longer he goes gluten free, the better he feels. Food allergies and/or intolerance can affect your entire body function and quality of life. It would be worth your time to look at food allergies and/or intolerance. It could be that your diet includes something that causes the depression.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    hope i got your attention, but not your anger!

i'm finding it very hard to stick with healthy eating an exercising because of my depression. i lack all sorts of motivation and almost always feel as if i don't deserve it and that i'll never be happy anyway.

my point is, i would LOVE to have motivation from those who have suffered/suffer through depression so that we can pull each other out that big hole.
    I feel like this too, my depression kept me from giving recovery another shot because 'I didn't deserve to be happy.' Obviously I still struggle with this alot, but I have to keep telling myself if I don't do something and get healthy now, I will never be happy. I don't really have much advice though:/ Keep fighting! Xxx
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Many people have depression totally unrelated to stressors. It's an illness, one that I have struggled with off and on for most of my life. I have a great life and have the whole time, and nothing stresses me out for the most part EXCEPT depression and eating disorders.

Me, too.

Seeing a therapist, meditation, positive affirmations, research, journaling, yoga, lots of exercise, and quality time doing something that I enjoy...these are the things I am doing right now to manage depression.. And it's a challenge because I am a SAHM taking care of two little boys in diapers, my husband works a lot, and our family is far away. I don't get too many breaks from the kids. But every week I add something else, and slowly I do feel like I am managing it better.

There isn't really a "cure," but you can learn how to live with it, get a handle on it, and not let it rule your existence. Feel free to add me, I will do what I can to be supportive! Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anywhere that you responded to whether you're getting medical help or counseling?
    At 18, I realize that you may not have a lot of financial resources to spend on these things, but if your parents are supportive and can help, it could be worth it.

I went through a round of "talking therapy" a few years ago and it was helpful to dig things up and realize WHY I felt and acted the ways that I did, but it didn't help much with finding a way "out".

More recently, I've been doing therapy that is more focused on developing skills and techniques to reduce anxiety/stress and improve mood and ability to function more resiliently. Per my therapists' bio (b/c she says it better than I could), "We identify the triggers, images, thoughts, emotions and sensations that cause difficulties and process them to create an optimally healthy mind that's reorganized in a more helpful way".

I think it's the reorganization and learning how to respond in ways that are different than my defaults that is working best for me. It gives me something concrete to focus on that's not too difficult or emotionally draining, but it seems to be carrying over to my everyday life and that is exciting for me.

I live near and work on an Army post, and she also works with a lot of soldiers who have PTSD using a technique called EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). Talking to soldiers who have done EMDR, it seems to work for those who can't talk much about their memories because they are just too painful. And again, it adds a task to the treatment that is not threatening or distressing, which for some seems to make the therapy more effective.

Not every solution works for every person, obviously, but the idea of "talking to someone" can be overwhelming in and of itself. For me, realizing that there are concrete, task based things that I can work on to break the process down into manageable chucks helped relieve my anxiety about the whole process and I think it's making it more effective.

I hope that you manage to work through things. I know it's a slow, difficult process and it probably seems overwhelming at this time... especially since you're at a time in your life when you're just learning to "manage" your life as an adult in the first place. But you've got tons of options and potential... try to grab onto the good in that, don't let it overwhelm you, and take a first step. Even if you have to take many "first steps", keep working at it and you will make progress.

Good luck to you!
    Jen
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry to hear that! For me, exercising and eating right was my combat to depression. I was depressed because of my weight; however, walling in your sorrows will not help you drop pounds (unless you’re not eating!! I kid, don’t do that!)

Get out there and get active. Tell yourself every day that you do deserve it and don’t take no for an answer. Outside influences can motivate, but only yourself can make you stay on track. Only you can make your feet more to pound the pavement and get moving. Be your best cheerleader & believe that whatever you set your mind to doing is possible!

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR NEGETIVITY!!!