? about calorie Intake

Options
When you exercise are you supposed to eat the "additional" calories that it gives you?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Yes. MFP creates a deficit automatically with diet alone. If you don't eat back your exercise calories, that deficit becomes too large. Eat back the exercise calories to give your body the fuel it needs.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You will get many answers about this. I track my exercise calories with a heart rate monitor for accuracy then I eat back about half to 3/4 of them.
  • hduoto
    hduoto Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much... It all gets so confusing. Congrats on your weight loss. How do you do it? I have been struggling with my first 5 lbs. One day its great and the next I am back up a pound or a pound & a half.. I get up and do one of 3 exercise tapes that I have. I normally choose a 3 mile walk tape that takes about 42 - 48 minutes. I am doing it anywhere from 4 - 5 days a week.. i do notice that my clothes are fitting a little different but that's it. I am starting to get very discouraged.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories too. Just don't overestimate how much you burn :-)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Some people do, some people dont. Some poeple eat them all, others just a fraction.

It depends a lot on how much you have to lose, and how much exercise you are doing.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I do and have lost weight more quickly when I did than when I didn't. But everyone's different so you'll get different opinions, but I'd rather eat.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much... It all gets so confusing. Congrats on your weight loss. How do you do it? I have been struggling with my first 5 lbs. One day its great and the next I am back up a pound or a pound & a half.. I get up and do one of 3 exercise tapes that I have. I normally choose a 3 mile walk tape that takes about 42 - 48 minutes. I am doing it anywhere from 4 - 5 days a week.. i do notice that my clothes are fitting a little different but that's it. I am starting to get very discouraged.

I've lost weight by being patient and sticking with it. It takes time.

Your weight can fluctuate by 5lbs in one day. My advice would be to put the scale away and only weigh in once a week. If you are exercising that much, then yes, you definitely need to be eating those calories back.
  • bigblu89
    bigblu89 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I usually eat some of it back.

For example...

I run the equivlant of a 5k around my neighborhood 3 times a week, and at the pace I go, I should be burning close to 450 calories during that run. When i get home, I'll usually have an apple or a protein bar, just to give me some energy back.

So while I'm not eating the whole 450 calories, I am eating some of it back.