How do I get started

Options
This seems easy enough, but what do I do? Help!!!!!

Replies

• alowriderswife
    alowriderswife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lol I am not one to take advice from as this is Another attempt to get it right... I recently lost 75 lbs and now gained 25 back- I myself need to get back on track again... Good Luck

You track your eating habits, exercise, and by having it there in your FACE- lol it makes it harder to eat bad things
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Have you programmed your "goals" and profile in yet? Best way to start, IMHO, is by logging every bit of food you eat. You don't even need to reduce it, to start. It's helpful to have a baseline and work from there.
    "Friend" me if you want!
    ~Jessica
  • irenekdixon
    Options
    Hello I am Irene. Glad to have this introduced to me and hope to get started soon
  • irenekdixon
    Options
    Ok sorry everone :) guess you see how lost I am here. No I have logged in anything yet; I gues I will go read and get more familiar then see where I go.

How can I friend you?

:)
  • irenekdixon
    Options
    Thank you all for helping:smile:
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    its pretty easy to get started this site is very user friendly, thank goodness. Start at my home and go from there. I am still learning only been here a short time. Welcome :)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Hi Irene,

Poke around the site and hopefully you'll figure things out. What do YOU like to do for exercise and eating habits? The main thing here is tracking what you're eating so you can see what is going in. Then you can work on exercising in whatever form works best for you, and burning even more calories. You can friend people and follow them, or keep up at these community area's.

Many people need Accountability to keep up, and that is a big part of why we are here!
  • betsyblue123
    betsyblue123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, i started today, well restarted, but i did it this afternoon and not this morning, and im over my daily calories after id added up everything id eaten this morning...
    set the menu for tomorrow and im raring to go!!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    One of two ways...start by making small cahnges in your diet, and start doing a walk or exercise a few times a week....or jump right in and totally change your diet and work out 6 days a week! It depends how fast & how much weight you want to lose. I totally changed. I don't eat out, or processed, premade foods. It's all fresh veggies, & some fruit, and eat egg whites, and very lean meats. I no longer drink diet soda...water only for me. I pass on all junk foods & candy. I walk everyday!

Good luck
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Set your goals, or better yet, let MFP set them until you figure out what you want them to be.
    If you bite it, you write it
    Plan, plan, plan...yes the best way to success is to plan ahead. I lost 35lbs by planning my weekly meals each weekend, shopping for them and logging in the menu for the week...I didn't want to change the "plan" b/c it took too much work, so I only ate what I already logged. I made the food the night before and packed it to work with me...b/c I had a long commute, I packed breakfast, lunch, 2 snacks and if it was going to be a late night, dinner as well. I know it sounds obsessive, but I'm type A and it worked for me. You have to find what works best for you.

Try to incorporate 5 servings of fruits and vegetables into your diet each day...then work up to 1/2 of each meal (this may take time)
    Try to start getting exercise if you don't now; start with 15 minutes a day and work towards 30
    Try to eliminate bad foods from your diet a little at a time and replace them with healthier versions or a healthier choice (a salad, cucumber slices or baby carrots instead of chips with a sandwich)

Try to get some friends to help hold you accountable.

Take it one day at a time and if that is too much, take it one meal at a time....DON'T GIVE UP! You can DO this!! Remember, this is a LONG TERM, life style change....
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'll send you a friend request, you should get a little red "1" in a bracket up near the top of the page, and then we'll be buddies :)

Like everyone has said, just start messing around with it and logging stuff normally, sounds silly but don't try as such, just do what you're normally doing and log it, it will help you see where you're going wrong. Like when I started, I noticed so many of my calories were coming from bread, and sometimes cheese too. That's how I know what to reduce, and you'll see what kind of exercise is most efficient for you too!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I put together a blog with tips for beginners a while back. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/truth-justice-and-the-mfp-way-a-primer-for-beginners-422837

Good luck!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am sending you a friend request too. Do some looking around the site.