what's best pro points or calorie count

Options
Just out of interest what is best weight watchers pro points or counting calories, I have just checked my calorie intake so far today and i have hit my pro points allowance, yet i still have over 300 calories left today. My calorie goal is 1360 a day and pro point set at 30 a day. What is best sticking to calorie intake or staying with pro points :noway:

Replies

• merso001
    Options
    I'd like to know the same! I used to do WW and lost weight with it but then i stopped! Switched to MFP and still my weight hasn't budged! Let me know if you figure out which is best!(:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but 1360 sounds low. I'm a 5'-7" male and I never went below 1400. I started at your target weight (200 lbs.) and lost 2 lbs./week on 1400 calories/day...
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It probably comes down to personal preference. I like getting the calorie count because it's so quick and easy to log and click on my choice. After the initial excitement, calculating points got to be too much of a chore for me.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    personally I just like the calorie-counting route b/c it's more applicable to everyday life. you won't be able to find WW points on every food item. but, on the other hand, i've never done WW (only heard stories). i heard WW doesn't have you log veggies or fruit--i like that; i think it leads to a healthier perspective on food.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the WW program but 1360 for a male is VERY low. Crash diets are temporary. Make this a healthy lifestyle. EAT!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    First of all 1360 for a guy sounds really low? Though 30 WW points for a guy sounds low too. Anyway I log both points and calories and if I still have calories left but not points it's generally because I haven't eaten very many zero point fruits and veggies or I've worked out a lot. WW is very skimpy on their activity points I find. If I'm hungry I go by my calories and dip into my Weekly Points. If I'm not hungry I just finish my food diary for the day. Most of the time my points and calories, when I include Activity Points and exercise calories come out about the same.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW and I didn't like the turn they took with points plus. It just seems like everyone I know still doing it isn't eating enough for a healthy lifestyle. I am liking the calories because the info is generally more readily available and I do a lot less guessing or I don't have to pull out a calculator to figure out values at the grocery store. 1360 does sound very low though calorie wise. I am set for 1350 and I am a female with a desk job and not a lot of time for exercise outside of walking with the baby.
  • jpenningtonuk
    Options
    i suppose it depends on personal preference, i'm fed up with ww pro points so i'll stick with this program and count calories to see if it really does work, i will give it to xmas and decide where i go from there
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    1360 cals sounds way too low for a man your size. Did you set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week? With only 30 pounds to lose, you will probably do better by setting it to 1 pound per week.

Also, make sure if you are set that low that you are also eating exercise calories to fuel your workouts. Your MFP goal is NET. X amount of calories, + what you burned in workouts.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest what is best weight watchers pro points or counting calories, I have just checked my calorie intake so far today and i have hit my pro points allowance, yet i still have over 300 calories left today. My calorie goal is 1360 a day and pro point set at 30 a day. What is best sticking to calorie intake or staying with pro points :noway:

if you can log ACTUAL calories, protein, carbs, fats, sodium, etc. on MFP instead of a placeholder for this information that WW uses, why would you choose WW?

the WW system is for people not willing/able to keep track of more accurate data, who want it simplified for them, if i understand correctly. if you're willing to be more precise and more accurate by looking at the actual calories and macros, isn't it a no-brainer of a choice?
  • dkc5710
    Options
    I did weight wtatchers for a long time and lost a good bit of weight. However, when they switched to the new method the weight loss stopped. I think it is because they say you don't have to count fruits and veggies, but they do still have calories and should count for something. I think I will get a better picture of where I am eating the wrong things if I track the calories instead.