Am I crazy??

Options
Or does it seem the more water you drink....the more you NEED to drink?

Ok, here's what I mean.

I used to not drink water that much if at all, hated the stuff. I drank soda(yuck I know!) but even then I didn't drink that much oz wise per day.

Once I started working towards a healthier life I upped the water intake and cut out all soda(except the occasional glass). I started out drinking 8 8oz glasses of water a day, at first I had to sort of force myself but I found myself start to get thirstier and thirstier so it wasn't forced anymore. Slowly over the last bit of time I have noticed I need to drink more and more to keep from feeling dehydrated. Now I am up to over a gallon of water a day. I am just thirsty all the time and get dehydrated if I don't drink a ton. I don't even go to the bathroom that often for someone who drinks over a gallon a day. lol

Is it normal to get like this, require more and more when you drink more? I hope this made sense. :wink:

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Nope not crazy! I used to HATE drinking water. Now if it's not around I freak!
  • AmbieSweetz
    AmbieSweetz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Same here! Was rasied on PEPSI and now all I drink is water!
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My water bottle and I do everything together. :drinker:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I also notice that it is very dependent upon how much sodium I am consuming as well.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I took a 3-day trip recently and was clearly drinking less water and it was amazing how thirsty I was all the time. I had to buy bottles of water from Walgreen's and carry them around with me just so I didn't have a screaming headache.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Not crazy at all! I even wake up in the middle of the night thirsty as hell and guzzle a couple glasses of water now.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Ok, here's what I mean.

I used to not drink water that much if at all, hated the stuff. I drank soda(yuck I know!) but even then I didn't drink that much oz wise per day.

Once I started working towards a healthier life I upped the water intake and cut out all soda(except the occasional glass). I started out drinking 8 8oz glasses of water a day, at first I had to sort of force myself but I found myself start to get thirstier and thirstier so it wasn't forced anymore. Slowly over the last bit of time I have noticed I need to drink more and more to keep from feeling dehydrated. Now I am up to over a gallon of water a day. I am just thirsty all the time and get dehydrated if I don't drink a ton. I don't even go to the bathroom that often for someone who drinks over a gallon a day. lol

Is it normal to get like this, require more and more when you drink more? I hope this made sense. :wink:

it doesn't sound normal to me. you don't really NEED to drink even 8 glasses of water per day (64oz). you get alot of water from your food sources. the whole "myth" about drinking enough water each day to pee "clear" is nonsense. but if you're drinking 128oz and still thirsty, alarm bells should be ringing. this is a CLASSIC symptom of diabetes, but you should also be urinating frequently along with it. it could be symptom for many other issues as well, or it may be nothing at all... but it's the sort of thing that i'd investigate because it could be an early symptom for something you need to see a doctor about.

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/sym/thirst.htm

also, why do you think you are dehydrated on less than this? what are you feeling that you are mistaking for dehydration? is it dry mouth? is it dizziness? try to nail down your exact symptoms when you "feel" dehydrated so that you can see if something else may be occurring. the only time i'm really thirsty is after i've eaten alot of carbs. other than that, it's just an occasional glass of water throughout the day. i certainly don't drink 64oz, but i do get alot from my food.
  • JHoelck0928
    JHoelck0928 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to hate water also, but didn't really drink much of anything. and if I did it was soda or juice. Now all I do is drink water. I fill my 24oz bottle atleast 5 times a day.
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The not peeing alot when drinking that much water isnt normal. Unless your doing a bunch of vigorus exercise and sweating all the water out. You should be going to the bathroom alot. Like so far today I have drank 8, 8oz glasses of water and i have already went to the bathroom at least 5 times.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the exact same thing. I used to wake up in the middle of the night so thirsty I couldn't stand it and realize I'd only had maybe one cup of coffee to drink the entire day. Now I try to drink 8 cups of water per day - which is not based on nonsense but on how much fluid the average person loses per day through evaporation, urination, etc - and sometimes it seems that the more I drink the more I need. I still wake up thirsty in the middle of the night, too.

I've been tested for diabetes in the past and was nowhere near it, but I'll ask my doctor to test again in the near future. I'm due for a visit with her anyway.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've noticed now that I drink more water, i crave it. It's like I never noticed before how thirsty I was...
  • CaptChad75
    Options
    It has a lot to do with your new healthier life style... Let ME explain. Picture your origional start date and visualize the way you felt, the way you ate, what was your routine etc.. Your body was in a dormant state or a routine state so to speak. As you start working out more eating healthier those toxins in your body start to lossen and flush. Once you start lifting weights that burn you feel is the progress of ridding the toxins thus creating a void which can and should be filled with water. The more water you pound the more your body can flush and rid of the unwanteds in your body. I work outdoors and drink and drink and drink and still stay thirsty since I've started running and working out. Don't be afraid to become an Aquaholic.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I used to drink less than 8oz of water a day (and not just water, I really didn't drink anything). I finally forced myself to start hydrating more and now I have to have a water bottle with me at all times because I get so thirsty all day!
  • madworld1
    Options
    Nope. You're not crazy. I need to have a glass of water around 24/7. I even keep some by the bed because I wake up thirsty. Needless to say, I pee ALOT.
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    as someelse stated, unless you are doing vigorous exercise and sweating it all out, ~~1gallon a day may be too much. there is such a thing as water intoxication. the body does balance itself, unless there are mitigating factors, the fluid in should = fluid out.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

Ok, here's what I mean.

I find the more water I drink the I crave it. It's normal. LOL I drink a lot of water. I start with 20 oz first thing and I seem to crave it all day long. I always chug it from my 20 oz glass throughout the day. I lose count but it's a lot. I'm not a sipper. And I do have to be next to a restroom. I can't do this when I'm on Sheriff Patrol LOL.
  • AndreaEllen
    AndreaEllen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Your diabetic. Go get checked by a doctor.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My entire life, all I've really wanted to drink is water. And I drink a lot of it. Mmm.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i *think* we may become more aware over time that hey, I am thirsty! On the path to health involves working out too, so I think we require more water than previously to replace that which we are sweating out of our bodies.