Downfalls to running?

Options
I am about to start the C25K program and I'm kinda excited, but also kinda nervous. Tell me if you as a runner have had any negative side effects, have you hurt yourself (minor or major injury)? I've heard "horror stories" about running and just wonder who has experience them and what did you do to fix the problem. If you have any tips they are welcome as well.

Replies

• sillyli234
    sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I went from being winded just walking to my car November 2011 to being able to run 6 miles without stopping. My advice is to stretch before your runs, get a heart rate monitor, see your PCP once every 3 months, and take one day at a time. I've hurt myself several times by pushing myself too fast and too far out of stubborness... one time I pulled a tendon in my right leg after running 4 miles on a treadmill, I've gotten some minor chest pain, and one time pulled my right shoulder blade in the middle of a 5K... luckily everything healed nicely and I still run, but am looking into a heart rate monitor to make sure it is not too elevated.

Another idea is getting into speed walking. There is far less chance of personal injury and many speedwalkers do 5k's, 10k's, half marathons, and even full marathons.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I want to run more than anything. I think the fact that I can't makes me want it even more. I got a stress fracture in my foot September 16th at the start of Week 4 and I'm still not back to normal. In fact, I got my boot off three weeks ago and I'm back in it again already. It really is an amazing program, you just have to listen to your body. I'm the type who will push through any pain until I have no choice but to stop. Don't do that, because now I'm not running at all.
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    The biggest thing is to be sure you have good shoes! I am on Week 8 day 2 of the C25K program. It has taken me a lot longer than the 8 weeks to get here. I was truly a NON runner before. I redid several weeks till I felt comfortable. If you do this program like it says and take your time and not move on till you feel comfortable, you will be fine. I am very excited for you. This has been a challenge for me but I have loved every minute!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started C25K about two years ago.

The biggest downfall is that I have a collection of race t-shirts that I'm emotionally attached to but don't really wear. :laugh: Oh, and that running became a "gateway drug" of sorts, and what had started as, "All I want to do is be able to run a 5k, then I'll be happy," turned into "I want to win a medal," and "I want to run a 10k," and "I want to lift weights." After nearly 4 decades of being happy to be a geek, I'm now athletic. I can't go more than three days without running without getting stir crazy.

I did get sidelined with a stress fracture after about a year of running, but I attribute that to a combination of overtraining, wearing the wrong shoes, and switching to a treadmill after running outside.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I started C25K about two years ago.

The biggest downfall is that I have a collection of race t-shirts that I'm emotionally attached to but don't really wear. :laugh: Oh, and that running became a "gateway drug" of sorts, and what had started as, "All I want to do is be able to run a 5k, then I'll be happy," turned into "I want to win a medal," and "I want to run a 10k," and "I want to lift weights." After nearly 4 decades of being happy to be a geek, I'm now athletic. I can't go more than three days without running without getting stir crazy.

I did get sidelined with a stress fracture after about a year of running, but I attribute that to a combination of overtraining, wearing the wrong shoes, and switching to a treadmill after running outside.

Omg I feel the same way about the shirts! My friend and I are going to cut/tye-dye/bedazzle our shirts and where them to those races next year that is our plan. I went from running 5k's to a half marathon and now I am thinking full marathon and triathalon... who am I lol
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    As with anything if you push yourself too soon, too fast. Youll end up hurt, demotivated and being an advocate for why you shouldnt run. However, follow some simple rules, take your time and enjoy it, and it will be best thing you have ever done when you cross the finish line of your first race. and every race you do after it.

Always stretch afterward. Muscles tighten when over used, taking a good stretch regime after running does work and will help to stop pulling muscles. I run in a club and the head guy there is a physio therepist and makes us all do it.

People say its bad for your knees, not true. Its actually builds muscle and stengthens your knees. Although be warned it can be very painfull getting to the point of having strong knees (I had a lot of problems with my knees for the first few months, sports sock and a day off help, now i have no problems at all even on intense weeks)

I would sugest seeing your doctor before if you have never done anything as intense as regular running as a health check.

Getting a good pair of fitted running shoes will help you prevent running injurys.

Oh a MAJOR downside is, that it is addictive! :p seriously though, it is! I started on C25K in September 2011 barely able to walk a mile you mind run it. now I do 15 to 20 miles a week minimum, and im getting quicker.

I would also advise cross training, running is fantastic for yourhealth, but can make you rigid, swimming or cycling at least 1 day a week will help you keep loose and prevent injury

Oh yeah its tough, but sooooo enjoyable, enjoy running!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Worst side effect I have noticed? the fact that once you get the hang of it it's seriously addictive!! Of all the exercise I have tried, its the only one I simply couldn't give up now.

Some great advice above about taking it slowly, making sure you have rest days etc. I have patellar tendonitis, but it's much improved since I started running. Exercise keeps my knee strong.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I started running 6 months ago and now I have thigh gap. Yeah, it sucks.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get that first 5k for five years now. I would either sprain and ankle or get knocked up. I like the c25k program but now I'm trying by getting on the treadmill and walk/run for 3 miles. I have a HRM so I run until my HR gets up to 175, then I slow down to a moderately fast walk. When my HR gets under 130 then I run again. Sadly, it takes me almost 45 minutes to do 3 miles this way, but I'm hoping for it to get faster.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    There are 2 things to be prepared for. Running will increase your appetite and possibly require a higher level of discipline that you need to utilize when not running. Also, as you build up your conditioning you have 3 variables to contend with; your will, your muscles, bones and tendons and then your cardiopulmonary fitness. Most of the time your will exceeds the ability of your muscles etc and your lungs etc. But the next to kick in will be cardiopulmonary. Just be patient.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I started running 6 months ago and now I have thigh gap. Yeah, it sucks.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh the dreaded thigh gap! :sad:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I may be biased but running is awesome.

There is a risk of injury with any activity (how many people get hurt slipping in the shower every year?) but you can minimize the risk of an overuse injury by applying a bit of common sense. Don't be shy about repeating weeks with any running program and don't try to progress too quickly. Running causes a great many positive physiological adaptations (bone density, mitochondrial density, blood flow to muscle tissue) and these adaptations take time.

Listen to your body, a little soreness is not unusual acute pain is. Don't tough it out and turn a minor problem into a major injury.

Be consistent in your training, run 3 or 4 times per week and cross train on non-running days, don't forget to take regular rest/recovery days too (you don't need to be idle, just keep the intensity and impact low) and remember to have fun.