New to the Gym...lifting and lower body issues

Options
I started my walking daily journey about 3 1/2 years ago and built myself up to 4 miles 6 days a week...and about 3 months ago I started to feel that I needed more. So here I am 6 weeks into my gym journey :-))

I committed (to myself) to changing up my routine every 6 weeks. So first off let me explain my concerns....

Right leg: I've had my hip replaced, a broken ankle, crushed kneecap (wired back together)

Left leg: broken leg plated back together. (lower)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Saying that, I'm reticent about squats....and I've likely used most of the lower body machines for physio in the past. (yay! I'm a pro) ;-))

~~~

I thought the best way to build up would be to head back to the machines and crank up my cardio. Mission accomplished...now I need to tone. I have a limited grasp of upper body free-weight exercises and already the tone is there. What I'm wondering about is any suggestions on the feasibility of heavy weights/squats with the lower body joint issues that I have.

Any advice/personal experience would be welcome.

Thanks Julie

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I would really talk your doctor about this, not MFP.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Good form squats are better for your knees/hips than leg presses or leg extension/hamstring curl machines.
    Still, yes. Talk to your doctor.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

^^^This. With all you've got going on, the only sound advice you'll get is from a doc or physical therapist. Don't risk injuring yourself.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks....with ya...doc said 'do what is 'tolerable'...

Quack!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Start with light weights, even just bodyweight squats. Constantly watch your form for no knees past toes and that your knees don't move in or out though the movement. When adding weight start with light dumbbells then in the future you can move to a barbell. I did this when my grip strength became a problem.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks....with ya...doc said 'do what is 'tolerable'...

Quack!

Find a "sports oriented medical professional"
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Can I just say...You people rock!

I ask a question and quicker than I can dial a friend you all are responding :-))

Thanks much!

I had been reading all of the suggestion to lift heavy on this board and it's been so enticing. Unfortunately I knew/know that for me it isn't as easy as just 'do it' . I'd spoken to my ortho dudette about this quite a while ago which is one of the reasons that I've neglected to get into heavy lifting.

However...I bet there are people out there that can only work on upper or lower lifting right???
  • darbest
    Options
    Great job, your email motivated me. Keep up the great work.
    Darlene
  • darbest
    Options
    By the way that dog is adorable.
  • prholmes
    Options
    I would highly suggest you try Pilates. I have low back problems and have ignored exercise for years. It is amazing how pilates has helped my inner core strength in a short period of time.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

this for sure.

Just start small after consulting your doctor.