swimming for muscle tonning and weightloss??

Options
Hi

I have alot of weight to loose (a total of 60kg) and i was wondering if anyone else has tried it and found it helpful =)

Casey

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Swimming (in my opinion) is one of the best ways to lose weight and get fit. It takes a massive level of fitness to be able to swim a long distance or for a long time. It uses lots of different muscles (it wont build them but it'll keep them toned).

I havent managed to do much swimming but i really enjoy it when i do.
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    I swim for weight loss, it can burn a lot of calories and is great full body cardio :)
  • shannysgirl
    Options
    Swimming is great for toning and weight loss.

I used to be a swimmer and wonder why I ever switched to running! lol

Swimming is great for stamina because you have to focus on your breathing, with proper technique it stretches and tones your muscles, burns a lot of calories and makes you strong.

Now I want to jump in the pool! Good luck with everything :)
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love swimming, it's great for toning, burns a lot of calories (note: this is only if you swim with intent when you get the to pool, not floating around keeping your hair dry whilst having a gossip in the shallow end and going for a latte afterwards!!!), and it's non-weightbearing so it's good for your joints too!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I concur. It's great excercise, but there's no point if you don't have proper technique and aren't prepared to get your hair wet!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would say swimming is good for fat loss. You get a good all over workout, burn fat and still keep your muscles, which give you that toned look. I don't do it enough.
  • jennyjcss
    jennyjcss Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the best option for me to workout after a day long of stressful work. Believe or not, on 16 April 2012 I was weighed at 102 kilos, now I am proud to let you know that I am at less than 90kilos. All thanks to swimming ( 1 - 1.5 hour, every 3 - 4 times a week). Previously I used different calories counter, I just recently start using this.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I love swimming, it's great for toning, burns a lot of calories (note: this is only if you swim with intent when you get the to pool, not floating around keeping your hair dry whilst having a gossip in the shallow end and going for a latte afterwards!!!), and it's non-weightbearing so it's good for your joints too!

Yep - I agree. IF you're actually swimming and not just being a social bobber, it's great exercise and easy on the joints.
  • sammiexxxx
    Options
    Hi,

Im new to Fitness Pal, I'm hoping it will help with me lose weight!!

Iv currently started excersing consisting of 2 x 30 mins swimming a week & Spinning once a week (45 min class), im tring to loose weight for my holiday in 9 and half weeks time!! just wondered if anyone else could let me now if they have been succesful losing weight taking up swimming and if so can i have some tips please :-) x
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I was a competitive swimmer up until I went to college and I regret stopping and not getting in the pool on a regular basis since then. I was in the best shape of my life at that point in time and extremely toned. Its truely a whole body workout, and the water adds resistance to help tone your muscles. You're really able to focus on even and steady breathing as well as pace. I was also able to eat around 3,000 calories a day and not gain weight when I was swimming 1.5 hours 6x a week.

My biggest suggestion is make sure you're really pushing yourself and changing up your strokes. I see a lot of people who get in the pool and don't push themselves and wonder why they don't see results. Also, proper technique is important, especially for injury prevention. But overall its a fantastic exercise, I really need to start incorporating it back into my workouts!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was a competitive swimmer up until I went to college and I regret stopping and not getting in the pool on a regular basis since then. I was in the best shape of my life at that point in time and extremely toned. Its truely a whole body workout, and the water adds resistance to help tone your muscles. You're really able to focus on even and steady breathing as well as pace. I was also able to eat around 3,000 calories a day and not gain weight when I was swimming 1.5 hours 6x a week.

My biggest suggestion is make sure you're really pushing yourself and changing up your strokes. I see a lot of people who get in the pool and don't push themselves and wonder why they don't see results. Also, proper technique is important, especially for injury prevention. But overall its a fantastic exercise, I really need to start incorporating it back into my workouts!

I agree totally about the technique....without this it is difficult to get into a good rhythm and without that you can get tired very easily. I also do aquafit which is great fun.
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used to run & do the ellipitcal for my cardio until I injured my knee running. Now swimming is my go to for cardio. I didn't really care for it at first because I was a weak swimmer. I am getting better everytime I jump into the pool and starting to like it more and more. I have noticed some changes in my arms and stomach. Good luck on finding what fits you the best.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes swimming is a great exercise to burn calories.

If you eat a whole large pizza afterwards, you will not lose weight. You still need to make sure you are eating well (which means eating enough to refuel and repair, not just avoiding eating too much)
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes swimming is a great exercise to burn calories.

If you eat a whole large pizza afterwards, you will not lose weight. You still need to make sure you are eating well (which means eating enough to refuel and repair, not just avoiding eating too much)

I second the above - swimming is great - but there is a tendency to eat more than the calories burned after swimming compared to other cardiovascular exercise. So, keep your calories in check with your goals and you should be fine. Oh, and as someone else said it is somewhat easy to dawdle in the pool so make sure you are working and not dawdling...
  • sammiexxxx
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, I'm defiantly pushing myself, I'm going again weds morning so gonna push myself a little bit more :-) hopefully in a few weeks time I can write a positive review on here with my progress! x
  • beatriceeou
    Options
    Hi im new and I used to swim in high school but have recently stopped this year due to pricey gym memberships.Should I reconsider ?And If you swim/run is it necessary to count calories?Also is it bad to keep to one stroke during your 1 1/2 workout in the pool?
  • tammyclair
    Options
    I swim 4-5 hours a week and it has been wonderful for me. I have lost weight and losing sizes as well. but more than all that it feels great. different than other excercises I have tried I don't have pain after. I feel glorious after a swim. there are workouts available to keep your workouts challenging. google it - there are a bunch of different websites.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't swim, but it's great for cardiovascular health and burning calories. If it's convenient and fun to swim, then DO IT! :happy:
  • JLCC27
    Options
    I've taken a water aerobics class and loved it! Its a great full body work out, you"ll lose weight, tone and become more flexible.