Present ideas for running/ cycling boyfriend

Options
Help- need birthday present ideas. He runs and cycles but for fun and fitness-,not to race. He has a HRM and GPS watch already.

I'd be really greatful for any suggestions.

Replies

• TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bicycling nicks!! Or maybe a Salomon Running vest!
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    How about an indoor trainer for his bike for days/seasons he can't ride outside? My BF just bought one, and he's quite pleased with it. Also, riding glasses with interchangeable lenses for different lighting conditions.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    How about an indoor trainer for his bike for days/seasons he can't ride outside? My BF just bought one, and he's quite pleased with it. Also, riding glasses with interchangeable lenses for different lighting conditions.

Great ideas. What make/ style did he get.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? What kind of weather do you have? I just bought a set of rain-gear including gloves and a new reflex helmet for my husband, who bicycles in one of the wettest cities in Europe. It also gets very dark during the winter, so it had to be in very strong, bright colours. This would be useless for somebody who only rides his bike in nice, warm weather.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Scotland so wet, dark and cold. Thanks
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i like this site

http://aerotechdesigns.com/

does he wear cycling gloves?
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Foam Roller!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    i like this site

http://aerotechdesigns.com/

does he wear cycling gloves?
    Yes he doesn't- ill look at the site - thanks!!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Foam Roller!
    Good idea- can you recommend a good one
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Options

As someone who commutes on a daily basis in a similarly wet/cold/dark winter climate (Seattle) I heartily endorse the riding glasses with interchangeable lenses. If the sun peeks out you can go dark, if its overcast you can use the red lenses which always shock me by how much brighter they make the divots and pocks in the road stand out. Safe and functional!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't know about him, but I'm asking for a Nike Fuel Band
  • rozeltf
    rozeltf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If he listens to music while running maybe wireless headphones?
  • pithole
    pithole Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    www.roadnoise.com

"Activity" vest with speakers.

These are awesome, and let you be safe while not cutting out all surrounding noise.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Great suggestions. Look into Kurt Kinetics trainers.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    These sunglasses are ideal for both riding and running. Best pair of sunglasses I have ever owned.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/products/article/sku-00101016011/search&exact-model=Slip&sport=Cycling|Run/
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Going to research these ideas this weekend. Any suggestions for good foam rollers and stands to use bikes indoors?
    Thanks.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You have had some great suggestions, but remember to check their usefullness against his preferences. For instance: I have only seen and used foam rollers when I do Pilates. They are really great for that, to help train core strength and balance, but if he isn't the type to work out doing exercizes indoors, they may not be that good for him. While I would have been delighted, I know my husband; the cycling, running, hiking, skiing kind of guy, would never touch them. We also had an exercize bike for years, in the livingroom. I used it a lot, but the husband, who would run or ride his bike for hours for fun, touched it perhaps once or twice.

If you're going to spend a good chunk of money on work-out equipment (not that foam-rollers are that expensive, but some of the other suggestions are), consider where and when he works out and when he doesn't. Buying indoor equipment for a guy who never works out indoors is just a waste.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    A really nice pair of cycling shorts.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Foam Roller!
    Good idea- can you recommend a good one

My girlfriend recently bought me The Grid Foam Roller for my birthday - such a good present and the best foam roller I have used!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks very much.