Someone? Anyone?

Options
I work in an office...and I find that when i'm tired, bored, or cold...all I want to do is eat! I have tried limiting the food I bring in to work, but I have boxes of crackers and some snacks that I keep in my desk drawer (yea...i should probably get rid of my "snack drawer") I have some friends on here but they aren't as devoted to MFP as I try to be so i'm lacking motivation and inspiration I believe. I guess what i'm asking is for some new friends to motivate me and keep me on track...someone? anyone? :ohwell:

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:
Cynthia

Replies

• peanutbutterpretzels
    Options
    i might be able to help!! :) what are some things you keep in your snack drawer? maybe you could replace them with something healthier. ex:

-almonds and pistachios
    -kale/spinach chips
    -frozen fruit and raw fruit
    -healthy snack bars (luna, lara, nakd, cliff etc.)
    -100 calorie packs of things

just to name a few options!
  • LaurieHolien
    LaurieHolien Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Cynthia,
    Good for you for reaching out and asking for support. I've told myself I should do the same. I'm happy to connect with you. I've been using MFP for about 7 months, but I also don't have many friends who actively use it. Feel free to look me up - I live in the Phoenix area, but have lived and traveled to many other parts of the country.
    Laurie
    "vanloover"
  • cynthia4781
    Options
    i might be able to help!! :) what are some things you keep in your snack drawer? maybe you could replace them with something healthier. ex:

-almonds and pistachios
    -kale/spinach chips

Another problem of mine...i'm a VERY picky eater. Unfortunately I don't like almonds or pistachios...i wish I did! Hmmmm...maybe some veggie chips?? I have 100 calorie packs but i'll eat like 10 of them! lol thank you very much for your suggestions...I will definitely use them! :smile:
  • JDavid007
    JDavid007 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

-almonds and pistachios
    -kale/spinach chips

These are things that have helped me greatly. I have been here for a while...almost a year so I would be more than willing to give support...
  • Keffy24
    Options
    I am definitely a bored eater! I make sure I don't have a snack drawer or else I would be in it way too much. I do my best to pack my lunch and snacks the night before and that way I'm only eating what I need. I also have MFP set up so it is separated into 6 meals, making sure I eat every 3 hours at least. If I wait too long to eat I know my blood sugar levels are low and I start craving junk food. I would keep a couple healthy snacks at work just in case, but maybe question yourself before you start snacking if it's actually because you're hungry or if it's a different reason.
    I try to busy myself if I get in the bored eating mood... sometimes I surf theberry.com's motivational section, get a coffee/tea, tidy my office, send an e-mail to a friend... once you get into a food routine, the junk cravings won't be on your mind so much.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me :-) im at a desk most of the day too.... i only bring my food for the day, no snack drawers :) lol

oh, and im 5'4, 140 lbs goal is to add muscle
  • cynthia4781
    Options
    I am definitely a bored eater! I make sure I don't have a snack drawer or else I would be in it way too much. I do my best to pack my lunch and snacks the night before and that way I'm only eating what I need. I also have MFP set up so it is separated into 6 meals, making sure I eat every 3 hours at least. If I wait too long to eat I know my blood sugar levels are low and I start craving junk food. I would keep a couple healthy snacks at work just in case, but maybe question yourself before you start snacking if it's actually because you're hungry or if it's a different reason.
    I try to busy myself if I get in the bored eating mood... sometimes I surf theberry.com's motivational section, get a coffee/tea, tidy my office, send an e-mail to a friend... once you get into a food routine, the junk cravings won't be on your mind so much.

Thank you so much! very good ideas...I like the 6 meal idea and I think I will try that. I can cure myself of my boredom by cleaning out my snack drawer! lol
  • JDavid007
    JDavid007 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    For me somehow I overcame eating snacks…for the longest time in the beginning of my MFP journey I was able to avoids the snacks…I have slowly added snacks back to my diet now that I have a reasonable control over them. I do think the 6 small meals can help a lot.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem times about 10 - my work station is at home and the kitchen is only steps away. I practically wore a trail into the floor going from work station to kitchen for snack after snack after snack .... That's how I got so fat!

For me, the answer is to schedule meal-times (approximately 8, 11, 2, and after 5) and refuse to let myself eat between meals. Sometimes it's a struggle, but I hate the mental image that I have of myself roaming around the kitchen like a giant caterpillar, eating everything in sight. I've had my share! Time to retreat to my chrysalis and develop my inner butterfly.

Good luck! It's hard to change bad habits.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I try to keep healthy snacks in my snack drawer in my office: peanut butter, mixed nuts, sunflower seeds, granola mixes. It keeps me from a last ditch trip to the vending machine. (Although today there were some fudge striped cookies in there that were left over from a blood drive at work that finally met their end...)

I get cold at work, too. Our water "coolers" here also have an option for hot water, and I like to drink hot tea when I'm cold at work, or even just hot water. It sounds weird, but it warms me up just fine.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    how about:

hard boiled eggs
    apple slices
    berries --like blueberries or strawberries
    baby carrots
    seeds
    peanuts, walnuts, pecans, or any other nut
    hard candies --yeah, it's not "healthy" but at least you can suck on them
    gum
    tea
    protein shakes
    protein bars
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat on snacks as well, so I portion out my snacks for the day, and only bring those in to work with me. I know I get hungry mid-morning and a few hours after lunch, so I try to bring at least two snacks. I try for high protein (eating a ton of eggs these days because they're so easy and so filling), but also just some baby carrots or bell pepper slices. I agree about drinking more that's warm. I've given up most coffee, so it's tea for me, although I love mint "tea" that has no tea, just dried mint. I forgot that I was out of tea though, so today I may have to take one of the earlier suggestions and drink warm water. Stupid AC...
  • Jennifer076
    Jennifer076 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this, I too sit at a desk for 8+hrs a day. I don't snack much, but if I do I go to the vending machine and get the welchs fruit snacks, as far as staying warm, I have my heater on and I drink coffee.
    As far as support and motovation, I totally understand. I have friends on here as well, but not as much support and motovation as i expected or would like. I need a lot of both. It seems I get caught in a slump for awhile and can't get out. That is what I am struggling with now. So your more than welcome to add me. As far as that goes, anyone that reads this can add me. The more support the better.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I will send you a friend request. Anyone can add me if you want. We can keep each other in check.

When I used to work in a different office I had a snack drawer, too. I would keep ONLY 100 calorie packs of snacks and popcorn. If I got the munchies I also would break out the gum. Polar Ice is the best at reducing cravings and will also make anything taste funny if you try to eat it.

Good job for reaching out for support. We can do this.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible snacker at work. But I've been off of work for about 3 weeks now (an injury) and, guess what? I'm not snacking anymore. I think for me it was all about the stress of being someplace and doing something I really didn't want to be doing. I'm now looking for ways to handle stress so I have some tools when I have to go back to work. I'm also looking for another job.
  • cznutz
    cznutz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We have a cafe here at work and I was always munching on something unhealthy. But now I keep a tub of protein powder for shakes and I'll grab an apple or two for when I get bored. I also cook about 8 chicken breasts when I grill out so I can have extra throughout the week. Feel free to add me if you need some supportive friends.
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What if instead of having the snack drawer you packed a small snack each day. That might help with portion control. Then if you are bored at work there's always MFP to waste time on. :wink: LOL.

I'd be glad to support you as a friend as well. I try to comment on statuses pretty often.
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job and have the same issues with snacking when I am bored. I have begun bringing my breakfast, which is usually a cup of Oikos Greek Yogurt, with me to work and eating it there so that there is not as long a stretch between meals. I've also been told that apples speed up your metabolism, so I've been bringing an apple everyday and eating it around 10am. Once I'm done with the apple, I'm not really hungry so I'm set until lunch time. Hope this helps! The way I look at it is that the apple and yogurt are both breakfast, I just stretch it out through the morning, instead of eating it all at once.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    No need to get rid of that snack drawer. Just make sure its filled with healthy things. Then you can eat as much as you want. Also, I made a rule for myself. "One serving per day" So I can still eat whatever I want, ONCE A DAY. Like in a day I'll have one cookie, one 100 cal pack, 1 yogurt, etc. This stopped me from eating whole boxes of food in one day lol
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too.

Thankfully, no vending machine - although the gals upstairs do keep bins of toffees around, and most days I can't resist. :blushing:

But I do have to really think about what I bring with me each day and how I eat.

I try to eat something every 3 hours, but I don't generally like to eat after about 6:30 or 7. I'm not talking full out meals, but things like individual yogurt cups, serving of fruit/veggies etc.

Today I'm struggling because I already ate everything that I brought with me and I have 2 hours left of work...I'm hoping that some hot green tea and some gum chewing will carry me through until supper.