The area over the hips...

sgmitchem
sgmitchem Posts: 16 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm working my butt off at the gym and one area I can't seem to find a good workout for is that lovely area around my hips. Can anyone suggest a good workout that focus' on that area of the body. I'm out of ideas.

Thank you.

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Cardio
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Plyometrics are good --- squat jumps, squats with front kicks, etc....

Tae Bo worked wonders on my saddlebags. :) Good luck!
  • bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Try these...

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Obliques/DBSideBend.html

http://bloombikeshop.com/bodyweight-exercise/superman.php
    (this one is particularly effective if you have something/someone holding your feet down on the ground, and just lifting with your lowerback. once you have lifted, try turning side to side using your hip muscles)

http://www.fullfitness.net/exercises/abs/side-crunch
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    If you're talking about reducing the fat there, you just need cardio in general. You can't spot reduce fat.

I thought that was going to be a problem area for me, too, but over the last couple of weeks the flab there has all but disappeared! Right now I have a really simplified exercise routine and, I just run, bike, and walk for cardio and do pushups, squats, and crunches for strength training.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I do one specific workout for that and it works great.

Lay on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Keep your arms at your sides and use your hips and abs to bring your torso up off the ground until it is angled up. Your body should look like this: /| but not as angled. Hold for 5 seconds, then lower your body back down to starting position. _|\ Hold for 2 seconds, repeat.

I used to do these all the time and I could tell each time I did them, my hip bones showed more and more! I'm doing them again and have seen results. :)
  • If you're talking about reducing the fat there, you just need cardio in general. You can't spot reduce fat.

I thought that was going to be a problem area for me, too, but over the last couple of weeks the flab there has all but disappeared! Right now I have a really simplified exercise routine and, I just run, bike, and walk for cardio and do pushups, squats, and crunches for strength training.

Right on! Cardio will melt that fat away!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Also agree with cardio. It sucks though, it always seems those of us with bigger bottoms lose the fat there last. Definetly not cool!!!
  • sgmitchem
    sgmitchem Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks everyone... I've been doing cardio like crazy, but will for sure keep it up.. I feel better when I do it. But I think I will try out some of the targeted moves you all listed as well... Again, thank you.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    not sure I follow your question, are you looking to define the muscles in that are (gluts, hip flexors, abs...) or are you looking to lose fat?

If it's fat, you can't spot reduce, we lose fat where fat feels like coming off, if it's muscle tone, let us know, I have plenty of exercise routines that I can give you.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    It sucks though, it always seems those of us with bigger bottoms lose the fat there last. Definetly not cool!!!

LOL. Yeah. Just throwing this out there to make everyone else feel better about themselves-- I have a 33.5 inch waist.. and 46.5 inch hips. :noway: And that's AFTER losing over 9 inches off my hips. :laugh:
    So, next time you think you have a big bottom... just remember me and you'll feel better about yours. :wink: :laugh:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Also agree with cardio. It sucks though, it always seems those of us with bigger bottoms lose the fat there last. Definetly not cool!!!
    That's because first on, last off! But keep working at it because it will come off eventually :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.