What is your Favorite Low Calorie Recipe?

Options
Hello Everyone,

Just starting today. I grew up cooking soul food, which is very high in calories. I am looking for help with recipes. What are your favorite savory low calorie recipes?

Thank you.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Prepare traditional soul food meal
    Step 2: Don't eat as much as you used to

Hope this helps.
  • cvillneauve
    Options
    Hoppin John

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 Cup Chopped Onions
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 lb turkey bacon, cooked
    1 Cup brown rice, cooked
    1 15oz can of black eyed peas (rinsed & drained)
    1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 tbsp thyme leaves
    2 tbsp parsley
    1/4 tsp salt

Heat oil in large skillet or wok. Add onions and garlic & crushed red pepper, saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add celery and turkey bacon, cook until celery is tender (about 5 minutes). Add black eyed peas, rice, thyme, parsley & salt. Cook until heated through.

I like it just like this but I am sure you could add or substitute anything to your liking. It has good flavor.

Calories for the entire dish is 1031. It is meant to serve 6 people so 172 calories a serving.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have had great meals from the recipes on skinnytaste.com - so many yummy choices, and they easily fit in my daily goals. They all turned out well, and even my kids will eat most of the ones I've tried.
  • sumoenterprise
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I like all of these ideas.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Try googling your favorite recipes and find a healthy version of it. For example, google 'healthy baked macaroni and cheese' and you'll get a better version of mac & cheese. They may not be exactly the same, but most comfort foods have a healthier version out there.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    bumping for when I can get them printed at home!