Should I get a Fitbit?

Options
I see a lot of folks have Fitbit's.

How accurate is it on the calorie counting? Do you enjoy using it? Do you use it everyday so you have a good average of activity?
The reason I ask is I have used a friends body bug in the past. I liked it but wasn't willing to pay the price of the unit AND the online software. I want to find something I can link up and use with MFP. I want to know what I'm really burning in a day so that I can make more educated choices in my meal plans etc.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• PaulW2MD
    PaulW2MD Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    yes
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I love mine but I just walk. I wear my every minute of everday, including bed time. I think the calorie count is close but I have never had anything to compare it with. It is a great pedometer but If you do cardio I would get a HRM. Hope that helped.
  • PaulW2MD
    PaulW2MD Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you do a search you will find loads if useful information in fitbit. Note that there are now two new ones- the Zip and the One. Have a look at the new STRIIV Play too.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it.
  • lose3stone
    lose3stone Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just received mine and going to set it up tonight, can let you know how I get on with it. A few friends say it really motivates them to move more :)
    Friend me if you want :)
  • rede2go
    rede2go Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What is a fitbit? what does it do? how much does it cost and where do you get one?
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for 5 months now, and I am as much addicted to my Fitbit that I am addicted to this site! Makes me want to move more, and more!

http://www.fitbit.com/store

I think Wal-Mart also have them in store, as well as other superstore.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I had a bodybugg the first six months I was losing weight and it was VERY beneficial at keeping me motivated to burn more calories. I also felt like it was fairly accurate, within 5%, actually. I never lost weight on a regular basis - I would lose 4 lbs in a week then not losing anything for two, etc., - but the overall average was very close to what I tracked on the bodybugg.

The reason I stopped using it was because I hated the food journaling software. I like it here much better. I am considering getting a fitbit just because it syncs here.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The reason I stopped using it was because I hated the food journaling software. I like it here much better. I am considering getting a fitbit just because it syncs here.

That is why I was thinking about doing it. I seem to lose 15 lbs then get stuck then lose then get stuck. I've been pretty stuck for a month and a half now. So I feel like I'm either not fueling my body enough for the work outs I do OR I'm eating too much on the days I don't work out etc. I'm staying with in my MFP cals but somedays I'm starving and other days I'm scrambling trying to figure out more to eat... Figured I would maybe try out the low or mid version and see. But before I convince my hubs I need to spend that money so close to Christmas I wanted to hear your opinions. You are all very helpful!
  • olsen317
    Options
    I've used one 24/7 for the last 16 months and love it!
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    it's on my Christmas wish list!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I had a bodybugg the first six months I was losing weight and it was VERY beneficial at keeping me motivated to burn more calories. I also felt like it was fairly accurate, within 5%, actually. I never lost weight on a regular basis - I would lose 4 lbs in a week then not losing anything for two, etc., - but the overall average was very close to what I tracked on the bodybugg.

The Body Bugg / Kifit now syncs on to this site as well so is the best of both worlds, but still has the subscription :huh:
  • kullyg
    kullyg Posts: 17
    Options
    I have one, been using it a few days, bit confused with it really, so if any body could help me out.
    The calories that fitbit syncs to my activity on MFP, what does that actually mean? I put in my exercise calories seperate to this also, so as an example, RPM class today is 500 cals (which I will do at 6pm) and there is a FB adjustment this morning for 460 calories, which means my calories available for the day are over 2000. seems rather high, or is this right?

But then on FB, it says my calories in for the day should be about 1800....

Also, in the mornings, it says I have worked a load of steps, but I have literally just woken up..

I DONT GET IT!! :-s
  • jaz050465
    Options
    If you don't get any answers you could try posting on the Fitbit forum.
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have one, been using it a few days, bit confused with it really, so if any body could help me out.
    The calories that fitbit syncs to my activity on MFP, what does that actually mean? I put in my exercise calories seperate to this also, so as an example, RPM class today is 500 cals (which I will do at 6pm) and there is a FB adjustment this morning for 460 calories, which means my calories available for the day are over 2000. seems rather high, or is this right?

Also, in the mornings, it says I have worked a load of steps, but I have literally just woken up..

for one thing the morning calories are what your body burns just being alive. I got one for Christmas and I'm doing OK with it. I'm PM you.
  • jaz050465
    Options

Look at the help section of MFP. It will explain it all.
  • malilini
    Options
    Don't add activity manually if your MFP and fitbit are linked, if it's a step-based activity. So all the walking/running/etc, don't track it through MFP, just sync the fitbit and the additional calories you burned will be added to your exercise post-sync. If you track it manually through MFP and sync from fitbit, you're essentially double accounting.

I think both fitbit and HRMs have their place, if you're a data nerd regarding weightloss. The fitbit is really awesome in terms of allowing you to track your "lifestyle" daily calorie expenditure. I used it before joining a gym and I was shocked at how sedentary I was day to day, but then also how much impact something as non-exercise-y as grocery shopping might have (if you're an aisle browser like me). So for day to day stuff, awesome.

If you want to track your exercise calories more seriously, then HRM all the way.

I definitely need lots of data to anchor me, so I invested in both the fitbit and the HRM, which combined cost less than a pair of boots, so it wasn't a crazy splurge. I use the fitbit to gauge how sedentary my day was and that helps motivate me to go to the gym, but I don't sync it to the computer because I don't want it to automatically adjust my calories. It's just something I check throughout the day to see how I'm doing and if I've spent too much time on my rear. And for exercise, HRM all the way, then manually sync to MFP. Possibly an overkill, but it seems like a good system to track lifestyle activity, but also get solid exercise data.