Do you log every single item...

Options

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    In all honesty i've only recently discovered this site and am slowly getting into the habit of logging everything I eat here. I have to confess, the hot drinks I have during the day (usually coffee) I've not been logging. Having read through the comments I'll be making more of an effort to log my coffee intake too.

Thanks all
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i don't log my vitamins, but i log everything else including tea, squeezed lemon juice, cough drops, and emergen-c. :)
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Nope, I log everything. Simply because several "little" things can add up to not meeting goals :) My two cents.

I second that notion!!
  • pixietwilight
    pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just recently started here and I started to log everything except equal. I like that quote "if you bite , write it" if it has 1/2 a calorie i want to hold my self accountable.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I don't log my vitamins, ketchup, mustard, or chewing gum
  • Lucias
    Lucias Posts: 3
    Options
    I was just thinking about this, and there it was! Because when I was on Weight Watchers veggies were pretty much freebies, I cringe every time I have to log a vegetable, but I do it anyway! It will pay off in the long run! Thanks for the post!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I log everything =)

except my vitamins. Never thought about logging them.
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also log everything. In addition to calories, it's good to add everything if you want to see what nutrients you are getting. For example, I notice that my vitamin A and C are always really high, but my calcium and iron tend to be low based on my diet. And my sugar is high which I never thought about b/c I don't have a sweet tooth, don't add sugar to coffee, etc. It's helped open my eyes about the nutrients in my food, not just the calorie count.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I log everything except coffee, vitamins and gum. I used to not log condiments, until I realized how much sodium is in them.
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything too, I don't want to cheat myself, but I don't log the olive oil I use to saute veggies either and sometimes I forget about the sauces I occasional use.

I've learned that olive oil can catch you by surprise..... Just 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil is 120 calories!
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    everything for me!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I log everything...including my vitamin (it contains most of the iron I need daily).
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I thought I was neurotic for logging my couch drops (my allergies are bad this week). Turns out there are 15 calories each in them! And i'm guessing sugar since they're sweet. I'll be happy when my allergies are gone, for both my health and my diet!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, the only thing I leave out occasionally is a single leaf of lettuce on sandwiches and no-cal diet soda(if I only had one), but I then increase my water intake automatically to make up for the diet soda. If I have more than 8 oz of soda, even diet, I do start logging it.
  • hepkitty
    hepkitty Posts: 133
    Options
    I try to log everything the first time I use it, since I am constantly STUNNED at how many calories (or sugar, or sodium, etc) are in different things I would have previously considered healthy or at least okay foods.

If I log it and a typical portion size for me is under, say, 10 calories, I often don't log it later on (particularly if I'm loading a meal with lots of elements to it). That's me being lazy and I know they add up, and if I started having unexplained weight gains then I'd probably start logging more precisely, but it seems to work for me because if I tried to force myself to log everything I'd get sick of logging stuff and then I wouldn't do it at all!

I also try to measure things when I can so I am starting to get a more accurate idea of how much a teaspoon, cup, or 100grams looks like for different foods which is helpful !
  • pianoteacherevan
    pianoteacherevan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging all together. I find it takes up too much of my time on a daily basis. I feel like I have a good sense of moderation and what it is that I am eating. I logged for a good couple months, and now I've learned to maintain a balanced diet without going overboard. On my training days, I eat an extra meal. I consider a small meal 400 calories and a large meal 600-700 calories, and keep a mental note of how much I eat everyday. For instance I know two eggs and two toast are 350 calories, and that bowl of cereal is another 250 calories. Thus breakfast was 600 calories. That's on a training day. I think my system works for me, but wouldn't for most people.

I don't like to feel like I'm obsessing over my calories, and I still want to enjoy my food. So instead of sitting at my computer and logging my calories while I'm eating, I put on some Family Guy, and relax.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything. Lots to consider. I like that the program will show how much sodium you ate too...

202554.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING. Because it ALL adds up :o)
    ALL food and ALL drink.
    Otherwise I'm just cheating myself!!

508926.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I pretty much log everything except for when I occasionally forget to add my diet dr. pepper. And I don't log when I use a pinch of seasoned salt or take vitamins.
    Once I ate 5 raisinettes but I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out how many calories that had since 5 is a long way from the serving size of 1/4 cup. I also had a calorie surplus that day so it wouldn't have made much difference.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I try my best to log everything in. But if I forget something small I don't worry about it. I don't want to become obsessed about every calorie. Just know I need to be around my goal is OK and I am still seeing results.

Example:
    I feel it is ok to skip a veggie, fruit, or something with LESS than 100 calories.
    It is not ok to skip a candy bar, hamburger, steak, etc.

:)