Hypnosis for Weight Loss

Options
First let me preface by saying that I'm not looking for a quick fix. I'm just wondering if any of you have ever tried hypnosis for weight loss, and if so, what was your experience like? Do you think it helped? I know individual results may vary, blah, blah, blah. I just saw that there was a groupon type deal locally for a 3 hour hypnosis for weight loss session (for 2) for $29. I know my man could stand to lose some lbs as well (and he is on mfp - but incosistently at best) and I thought this seemed like a great deal and something worth trying. I've done the community ed hypnosis (for $50). I think the fact that I was with a few girlfriends and they were constantly giggling and I was not able to focus didn't make that experience all it could have been. *shrug* Who knows. Anyway, your experienced input is appreciated.

Replies

• 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'd invest the $29 in a food scale, measuring cups, a tape measure and two water bottles (one for each of you). These will last you a lot longer than one session. Just commit! You can do it!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Can't hurt, but I wouldn't spend money on it that you don't have. The only guaranteed way to lose weight is to create a caloric deficit.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    A couple friends of mine did this several years ago. The hypnotist had them associate their favorite junk food with something that disgusted them. It worked for a few months. One associated french fries with used motor oil, and the other associated cookies with cat litter. I imagine it might work if you keep going back, but different strokes and all that. Some people aren't as easy to hypnotize as others.

Personally, I think it's a load of bunk, but if you want to try it, I won't judge you. :)
  • lakingfish
    lakingfish Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you've never been hypnotized it's kind of a cool experience. I'm not sure about the long term results but if they give you a recording of the session I often use those when I have trouble sleeping at night. Put me right to sleep. Not a miracle cure for anything but it might help. If your boyfriend really wants it it may motivate him to push forward but if he's not ready no amount of anything will get him to take action.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had it a few years ago, it made absolutely no difference. You know when you watch those hypnotherapy shows like Derren Brown or other shows like that, and they get the audience to take part? The people who see the thing through to the end are more impressionable and susceptible to things like hypnosis, and the ones who have to drop out after the first few rounds (like if they say hold your hand in front of your face, if you can move it then sit down, if you can't move it then you're in the next round) are least susceptible. I always drop out in the first round, and so it's no wonder the hypnosis didn't work for me.

What I'm saying is it might work for some, but it didn't work for me. MFP is the thing that has worked best for me so far!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure that a one-time session would help all that much. I think it needs to be reinforced in order for it to be effective. I know there is a hypnosis weight loss program called Enjoying Weight Loss by Dr. Roberta Temes - reviews on Amazon. If you're thinking about hypnosis, I believe a CD program that you can use consistently would give you much better results than a single session in a public forum. It's more expensive, but you can get it for much less on eBay or used on Amazon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYPNOSIS-NETWORK-ROBERTA-TEMES-ENJOYING-WEIGHT-LOSS-SERIES-3-CDs-2-3-4-/251179920600?pt=US_Audiobooks&hash=item3a7b7d6cd8

http://www.amazon.com/Enjoying-Weight-Loss-Roberta-Temes/dp/B0007VROBK

BTW, hypnosis can be VERY effective, but it's not for everyone. And for less than $20, it's worth a shot. Good luck!
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I know several people who have had success with hypnosis, though mainly for quitting smoking.

From what I understand, it works on some people and doesn't work on others.

If you have an attitude of "hypnosis is fake and doesn't work", from what I understand, it probably won't work on you.

It can be very helpful from what I have seen - if you're one of the people that can be hypnotized successfully.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure that a one-time session would help all that much. I think it needs to be reinforced in order for it to be effective. I know there is a hypnosis weight loss program called Enjoying Weight Loss by Dr. Roberta Temes - reviews on Amazon. If you're thinking about hypnosis, I believe a CD program that you can use consistently would give you much better results than a single session in a public forum. It's more expensive, but you can get it for much less on eBay or used on Amazon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYPNOSIS-NETWORK-ROBERTA-TEMES-ENJOYING-WEIGHT-LOSS-SERIES-3-CDs-2-3-4-/251179920600?pt=US_Audiobooks&hash=item3a7b7d6cd8

http://www.amazon.com/Enjoying-Weight-Loss-Roberta-Temes/dp/B0007VROBK

BTW, hypnosis can be VERY effective, but it's not for everyone. And for less than $20, it's worth a shot. Good luck!

The individuals I know who have tried hypnosis have said that the CDs / tapes don't really do much, but in-person hypnosis can be more effective as I mentioned above.

That's all anecdotal, obviously, but it's logical that a real person who can react to you and tailor the session to you would be more effective than listening to a CD while you're on the treadmill or whatever.

I agree about one session though - the people I know have gone to several in-person sessions and not just one.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    This session does come with a CD/MP3 to take home. My fiancee has been smoke free for over a year and a half after doing hypnosis to quit smoking. I know that losing weight is about a calorie deficit - like I said, I'm not looking for a quick fix. It would just be nice to find a way to manage the psychological factors/the "thinking about food" issues that also exist to try to stop the yo-yo that tends to happen if you don't address them. I'm here with MFP for the long haul. I totally agree that tracking, logging, moving works best.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That's all anecdotal, obviously, but it's logical that a real person who can react to you and tailor the session to you would be more effective than <i>listening to a CD while you're on the treadmill or whatever.</i>

Oh my gosh, that would be funny! Walking on the treadmill, under hypnosis! Wonder if it would make the time just fly on by, might not be a bad idea, ha ha.
  • martintanz
    Options
    A couple friends of mine did this several years ago. The hypnotist had them associate their favorite junk food with something that disgusted them. It worked for a few months. One associated french fries with used motor oil, and the other associated cookies with cat litter. I imagine it might work if you keep going back, but different strokes and all that. Some people aren't as easy to hypnotize as others.

Personally, I think it's a load of bunk, but if you want to try it, I won't judge you. :)

25 years ago, I worked a temp job for a hypno therapist, and that is exactly what he did. Suggested an association of high fat foods with something disgusting. And yes, it was a load of bunk. The guy held this thing at a hotel conference room and didn't even have permanent employees. Pretty much says it all.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    Weight-loss hypnosis might be another weight-loss tool, but don't forget the basics. read full story here http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-hypnosis/AN01617
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I watch a lot of ASMR and hypnosis videos on Youtube, and they really help me calm down, de-stress, and value myself. By doing so, I do think they help me to eat "cleaner" and make choices that are kinder to myself. So I could definitely see it working, just make sure you are doing all you can on the more traditional end of things, too.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'd invest the $29 in a food scale, measuring cups, a tape measure and two water bottles (one for each of you). These will last you a lot longer than one session. Just commit! You can do it!

I agree.
    This session does come with a CD/MP3 to take home. My fiancee has been smoke free for over a year and a half after doing hypnosis to quit smoking. I know that losing weight is about a calorie deficit - like I said, I'm not looking for a quick fix. It would just be nice to find a way to manage the psychological factors/the "thinking about food" issues that also exist to try to stop the yo-yo that tends to happen if you don't address them. I'm here with MFP for the long haul. I totally agree that tracking, logging, moving works best.

In my experience and what I've learned from my friends here, many of the psychological aspects of dieting can be really well managed by taking a more moderate approach to weight loss. What I mean by this is have a moderate deficit, appropriate for your weight and goals, (like, if you have 30 lbs to lose, 1000 cal deficit is way too high), eat your exercise calories, and don't deprive yourself of anything- allow for some of the things you miss in your diet, in moderation, and you won't have out-of-control cravings for those things. If you have enough calories to keep yourself comfortable while losing, and you get to enjoy the things you like, you won't have that sense of deprivation that leads to an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I did, and it worked for about a year. I lost 30 pounds, and then it sort of wore off.
    I went back a few more times and every session the effect lasted less and less time. No idea why,

I think it also depends on who you go to.
    There are a lot of "hypnotists" who are useless. I went to a really good one, but there are cds i was supposed to listen to afterwards, and I didn't do it regularly.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I think it's a waste of $29
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I use hypnosis for more important things...
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options

[/quote] In my experience and what I've learned from my friends here, many of the psychological aspects of dieting can be really well managed by taking a more moderate approach to weight loss. What I mean by this is have a moderate deficit, appropriate for your weight and goals, (like, if you have 30 lbs to lose, 1000 cal deficit is way too high), eat your exercise calories, and don't deprive yourself of anything- allow for some of the things you miss in your diet, in moderation, and you won't have out-of-control cravings for those things. If you have enough calories to keep yourself comfortable while losing, and you get to enjoy the things you like, you won't have that sense of deprivation that leads to an unhealthy relationship with food.
    [/quote]

What I meant was more like an EMOTIONAL relationship with food. I don't get out of control cravings or anything of that sort. However, when I'm incredibly stressed out (as I have been lately) - food seems to be what I turn to, and not even with intent. That is the kind of stuff I'm looking to get a grip on.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    What I was hypnotized for specifically was sugar cravings, and for a year I didn't eat any sugar nor did i crave it.
    But like i said, it wore off.

The hypnotist did try to address reasons for emotional over eating but I didn't have as much luck with that.
    Even under hypnosis part of you can resist the suggestion to let go of destructive habits if your subconscious feels like you're doing it as a survival mechanism.

Dealing with your feelings is tough no matter which way you find to do it.