True Severe sugar addiction...need help!

Options
I need help with my sugar addiction. It is horrible. I have read books about how sugar effects different people's brains differently, the same way alcohol is to an alcoholic. Well that's me for sure...sugaraholic. I lost alot of weight in 2011 . I had weight loss surgery which helped me to break the sugar addiction initially because I had no choice. Surgery helped me lose that first 50 pounds, then I worked my butt off exercising like mad and counting calories here to get off the second 50. But sugar started creeping back in. Early last summer, it all fell apart. I started gaining weight back. Then I got pregnant. Before getting pregnant I had gained back 10-15 pounds, and now I am up 32 from my lowest. I am still considered overweight anyway so I don't need to be gaining this weight for the baby. I'll tell you why I'm gaining it. I can't stop eating sugary, carb loaded foods.

I get emotional about it, I cry about it, I try to restart everyday. And everyday I do fine until around 4-6 pm. Then I lose it. I eat anything I can find that has sugar. I have no will-power. I can't stop at one food, I binge until I am way over my calorie intake goal, I feel sick, miserable, emotional, angry. But yet I do ita ll again the next day. I can't even make it one day! On the rare instances I have made it one day, the 2nd day always falls apart. Just like a struggling to stay sober alcoholic, I obsess about the food, my mind won't stop, and I get physical withdraw too! Oh, I might add, de-sugaring my home really isn't practical. I have a husband and 4 kids who are extremely picky eaters...

I want to get this under control before I have the baby. Because after I have the baby I need to focus on just getting back in shape and getting the weight off in general. Can anyone relate to this? Does anyone have any success stories? Were you like me and you somehow beat it? I know there is no magic pill to get me through this. I guess I just need support from someone who has been there...
Thanks..

Replies

• LosingMyselfin2011
    Options
    No one? :-(
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Seek professional help.
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I take a cinnamon supplement to help with the sugar cravings, and it really helps. I have a wicked sweet tooth, and have to limit myself to a small nibble from time to time just so I don't feel deprived.

Good luck
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I've done things for a sugar packet that I'm not proud of.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've done things for a sugar packet that I'm not proud of.

LoL
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Seek professional help.

I had this years ago. I've had to cut out sugar for health reasons. Sometimes making small changes first, getting them to stick before making more changes. It's hard. Now that I'm off sugar for so long it's no big deal, it's been years now. I can have a dessert now and then and no big deal. I usually eat some protein first, it actually gives me a headache and if I eat too much sugar now it makes me feel sick, my body is just not used to it anymore.

Get help from a doctor if you need it. Sounds like there might be some emotional issues to deal with. Sometimes that has to be dealt with first. Been there and done that. It's a hard road but if you are determined you can over come it.
  • Scott_Chaput
    Options
    While it sounds rude for someone to tell you to seek professional help there is really not much more untrained people can offer you.

It sounds like you're going through quite a lot and I hope that you can get it resolved but it seems like a more complicated problem than can be solved by the internet.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Well, I've never done anything obscene for a sugar packet (ahem, Fire_Rock), but I have been reading a lot about sugar and it's effects lately. Sugar Busters, the Sugar Solution, etc. All make me think I am addicted to sugar as well. I could probably give up anything else!!

I recently saw a plan somewhere of how you give up one thing a week so that over the course of a few months you have cutdown if not totally cut out sugar. For example, candy in one week, then the next week white breads and processed pasta/rice (switching to whole grains), and so on. This is what I am going to attempt.

Feel free to add me as a friend. We can steer each other away from the junk.

Good luck!!!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between liking sugar and being addicted
    Some of you are overly dramatic
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you're pregnant right now go and seek help from a professional. You don't need this addiction right now, and the dangers of pregnancy-induced diabetes aren't what your body and hour baby need either.

That said, eliminate all sorts of junk and sugary food from your home right. If you're craving something sweet make someone else go get it for you so that you don't get tempted and buy more than what you should eat.

Take care!
  • Ani45
    Ani45 Posts: 47
    Options
    I used to be in the EXACT same situation as you. All day I would do fine, and then at night - I would just binge binge binge on sugar. There were days where I would eat honey from a jar or something as we didnt have anything sugary. Its horrible.

What can help is to change something. If you are not happy about something - do something about it!

I personally changed the city I used to live in. It helped so much. I mean not instantly but 1-2 years ago I would sit every single night at home and binge on cookies and now we don't even have cookies at home .. and even if we do .. I would just eat 1-2-3 and I stop.

The best thing to do is find out what triggers these binges! Good luck.. :))
  • illuminatedms
    Options
    This advice might sound counterintuitive, but I suspect that, by making sugary food forbidden, you're actually making the situation worse, and making yourself miserable. Rather than trying to cut such food out completely (which rarely works and ends in binges), I would allow yourself the odd treat every couple of days, and just account for it in your food diary. It then is not a big deal, a personal failure, a sign of doom; it's just something you're eating that day, you've planned to eat, and you can enjoy.
  • LosingMyselfin2011
    Options
    Seek professional help.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or joking but I have actually considered this. Is there a certain type of therapist who deals with food issues specifically? I'm not sure any regular counselor would understand. I wish there were actual groups for it or something to help organically (the way methodone helps a drug addict. lol) I will look into the cinnamon ssuggestion!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    It quite often can be low blood sugar that is causing you to have the cravings, especially while pregnant and at a specific time. Ask your ob. Combine foods to keep your blood sugar stable. Do it for the baby.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I also have a serious problem with this... Make sure you are having enough protein.

Also I have found that when I have something sweet that also has fiber, like fruit (apple) or even something like Bear Naked Chocolate granola with some almond milk - I find that it fills me up more than "empty calories" does.

I think empty calories breed more empty calories.

I feel for you because for me the pull of sugar is as strong as any drug out there, and I can get on patterns that can derail my health for weeks if I am not careful.

Make sure you are never starving - eat small meals so at least you are not starving and then you will be more able to see this...

Maybe try and schedule a healthy snack between 4 and 6 or even an activity - a walk, etc...

Good luck
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    People, please! Seek a professional? She is pregnant! No real professional or doctor can help except to tell her to just do it! No medication, no super strict diet, etc…
    I know what you are going through. Been there and paid for the consequences when the birth came along. I went up from 160lbs to 224lbs and had a horrible time having my daughter (ended up in the hospital 3 days before her birth with preeclampsia.) I agree that you have to find your emotional trigger. I noticed that you mentioned mainly the flour and sugar combination. So, is not only about the sugar, but also the flour. Put limits to yourself but don’t try to go all out. Instead of 3 or four snacks, plan for two. Low cal ice cream, strawberries and cream, etc. If you feel like crying, been there and done it too, just do it, cry your heart out (but don’t give into the temptation), Tomorrow will be a better day. One of the things that really help is to start your day with a high intake of protein and low in carbs. Increase your protein for all your meals and replace your carbs with better choices like quinoa and brown rice. Finish your meals with a fruit, that way you get your sugar, but from a good source. It is all about transforming your habits and not trying to be perfect, but exercise your self control one day at a time.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I need help with my sugar addiction. It is horrible. I have read books about how sugar effects different people's brains differently, the same way alcohol is to an alcoholic. Well that's me for sure...sugaraholic. I lost alot of weight in 2011 . I had weight loss surgery which helped me to break the sugar addiction initially because I had no choice. Surgery helped me lose that first 50 pounds, then I worked my butt off exercising like mad and counting calories here to get off the second 50. But sugar started creeping back in. Early last summer, it all fell apart. I started gaining weight back. Then I got pregnant. Before getting pregnant I had gained back 10-15 pounds, and now I am up 32 from my lowest. I am still considered overweight anyway so I don't need to be gaining this weight for the baby. I'll tell you why I'm gaining it. I can't stop eating sugary, carb loaded foods.

I get emotional about it, I cry about it, I try to restart everyday. And everyday I do fine until around 4-6 pm. Then I lose it. I eat anything I can find that has sugar. I have no will-power. I can't stop at one food, I binge until I am way over my calorie intake goal, I feel sick, miserable, emotional, angry. But yet I do ita ll again the next day. I can't even make it one day! On the rare instances I have made it one day, the 2nd day always falls apart. Just like a struggling to stay sober alcoholic, I obsess about the food, my mind won't stop, and I get physical withdraw too! Oh, I might add, de-sugaring my home really isn't practical. I have a husband and 4 kids who are extremely picky eaters...

I want to get this under control before I have the baby. Because after I have the baby I need to focus on just getting back in shape and getting the weight off in general. Can anyone relate to this? Does anyone have any success stories? Were you like me and you somehow beat it? I know there is no magic pill to get me through this. I guess I just need support from someone who has been there...
    Thanks..

First, babies need carbs/sugar to develop properly. So, our bodies are designed to crave more carbs while pregnant. Some of these cravings will likely stop after you have the baby.

Second, when you say you are doing fine until 4-6 pm, what does that mean? I generally find myself falling into a carb binge around that time, if I have been too restricted with food earlier in the day. Make sure you're diet is balanced in the morning/afternoon. You may be having cravings because your body is missing a nutrient it needs.

Third, try going for a walk when the cravings hit. That's good for you and the baby. Also, drink 8-16 glasses of water before having the carbs. Often we confuse thirst for carb cravings. I know in my pregnancy I need a lot more water than I did before I was pregnant.
  • LosingMyselfin2011
    Options
    People, please! Seek a professional? She is pregnant! No real professional or doctor can help except to tell her to just do it! No medication, no super strict diet, etc…
    I know what you are going through. Been there and paid for the consequences when the birth came along. I went up from 160lbs to 224lbs and had a horrible time having my daughter (ended up in the hospital 3 days before her birth with preeclampsia.) I agree that you have to find your emotional trigger. I noticed that you mentioned mainly the flour and sugar combination. So, is not only about the sugar, but also the flour. Put limits to yourself but don’t try to go all out. Instead of 3 or four snacks, plan for two. Low cal ice cream, strawberries and cream, etc. If you feel like crying, been there and done it too, just do it, cry your heart out (but don’t give into the temptation), Tomorrow will be a better day. One of the things that really help is to start your day with a high intake of protein and low in carbs. Increase your protein for all your meals and replace your carbs with better choices like quinoa and brown rice. Finish your meals with a fruit, that way you get your sugar, but from a good source. It is all about transforming your habits and not trying to be perfect, but exercise your self control one day at a time.

Thank you! That is one thing I'm trying to avoid. I have big babies (all over 9 pounds) and last time I had to have a csection. So I am trying to not go overboard on weight gain because all it does is complicate things further as you mentioned. Yes, it is anything with sugar, flour, candy, cereals, bready things, you name it. thank you for your suggestions and kind words.
  • LosingMyselfin2011
    Options
    I also have a serious problem with this... Make sure you are having enough protein.

Also I have found that when I have something sweet that also has fiber, like fruit (apple) or even something like Bear Naked Chocolate granola with some almond milk - I find that it fills me up more than "empty calories" does.

I think empty calories breed more empty calories.

I feel for you because for me the pull of sugar is as strong as any drug out there, and I can get on patterns that can derail my health for weeks if I am not careful.

Make sure you are never starving - eat small meals so at least you are not starving and then you will be more able to see this...

Maybe try and schedule a healthy snack between 4 and 6 or even an activity - a walk, etc...

Good luck

Thank you, it helps knowing other people struggle with this. Suggestions from someone who is in this problem with me are helpful.
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would try to get all the junk food out of your house completely if you can. Then you've got no choice but to eat something healthy instead like fruit. That being said I know I'd not be able to eradicate junk food from my house because my husband would have a fit.